PDA

View Full Version : KWK9 Rescue - New Dog Rescue

aurora32
11-Jul-10, 17:16
Dear all,

Firstly a big thank you to all that attended the meeting its heart warming to see so many people willing to give their time and effort for such a worthy cause. I'm sure Anne was overwhelmed at so many willing to give up their time and help.
Since our meeting on 23rd June we have had to re think the name of our group, this was due to a dog rehoming group down in Aberdeen with a similar name to ours DAWGS.
We therefore have decided on the name KWK9 RESCUE with the logo A New Leash Of Life. We have been very Lucky in recruiting Carol Chard to be our Treasurer a big thank you to her for that, Eilidh Gunn will be our secretary and myself our Co-ordinator, we still require further members for the committee which can be decided upon at our next meeting. We have our own email KwK9@hotmail.co.uk (http://hotmail.co.uk/) and a website that is in its nursery stages so please bear with us http://www.spanglefish.com/kwk9rescue/index.asp?pageid=243429. Our constitution is in place and we are in the process of opening the bank account.

We need to start and raise some funds as soon as possible as we require to get insurance in situe as soon as, so any ideas, or help for our first fundraising venture would be greatly appreciated, ideas can be forwarded to the above email address or at the next meeting. I am in the process of applying to various companies for donations from their charity pot and from the Big lottery.

I am hoping that this will continue to go on in the manner it has so far and we go from strength to strength and that we can make a difference to the dogs that need us in the KW area.

Anyone interested in being involved that isnt already :) please drop me an email at above email address and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Many Thanks

Claire
Co-ordinator
KwK9 Rescue

Liz
11-Jul-10, 18:11
As I told you I'm not able to join the committee but you have my wholehearted support.

Very well done and I wish KWK9 Rescue every success!:D

Moira
11-Jul-10, 18:17
I will echo Liz's sentiments & best wishes. :D

demac-artist
11-Jul-10, 19:28
Hi saw your site and message - well done for starting and wishing you all the best wishes for the future.

Question

you don't have anything on the site to say that they can apply to be a foster carer as that would be good if you could get more people to foster - they may eventually keep one of the fosters, also gives you a good assessment on the situ - dog is comfortable with ???

What about home visits to vet the home for suitability.

Have you thought of trial adoption - they give the dog period to be with their new family and its also a period of adjustment and feedback and for them to ask for assistance in where to go for training, obedience classes contacts to better the relationship with you and future owners and also to widen the network for yourselves.

If you do trial adoption say with integrating a new dog with the current family one - you would need to give them time to adjust - if any issues then who should they family turn to for advice and support to make the situ smoother - rather than the family saying - it didn't work you need to take the dog back.

you could produce a comprehensive information pack and give additional information on how to deal with different situations - (How to's)
dog hates cat
dog needs training
introducing new to old dogs
introducing to toddlers (noise issues, play with children)

Price list and contacts for the vets - getting the snip, vaccinations, chipping, flea, products.

For funding you could go to one of the pet brands and ask if they will give you funding and you use their products I know IAMS does that with some rescue centres.

Sorry just some ideas
Deanne

Ricanna
11-Jul-10, 19:40
Good luck with your group. How does this fit in with Balmore. Have a vague recollection that there was something on here re Balmore not taking dogs 'mopped up' by the Mop. Is that what it's all about?

teenybash
11-Jul-10, 19:59
Absndolutely brilliant...so glad things are getting off the ground...Much luck and hearty praises to you all....well done.
Some excellent points raised by Deemac-Artist all would be a help in not only rehoming, but matching dogs with the right people.
Approaching a kind hearted vet to reduce fees, for such a worthy cause or contacting PDSA to see if they can suggest ways to reduce veterinary costs.
Good luck in your brave venture and very worthwhile and much needed cause.

Leanne
11-Jul-10, 20:25
All the best with the venture.

As I have offered earlier I would offer website support if you wanted. I'd even donate www.kwk9.co.uk if you wanted it :) :) :)

Theerah0166
11-Jul-10, 20:37
Congratulations on your brilliant start. Website also excellent - but better once the dog go on and we can all see them. Really chuffed for you. Fingers crossed for the future for you all.

Rictina
11-Jul-10, 21:27
I wish u all the very best for the future ahead.

What about starting a facebook group to get the rescue site out there ? Just a thought. :)

aurora32
12-Jul-10, 18:38
Thanks all for your replies and well wishes.

Rictina a facebook page is in process at the moment :)

Ricanna we are a totally seperate entity to Balmore we will be doing our own funding etc and will after the 7 day rule take on the councils dogs if not claimed to be rehomed, plus any dogs/puppies no longer wanted by owners or if they can no longer take care of them for whatever reason.

Leanne thanks so much for your offer anything you feel you can do would be greatly appreciated.

Deemac we will and are going to be doing homechecks prior to any of our dogs being rehomed it is a requirement of our adoption policy, trial adoption is another thing also incorporated into out adoption policy. If anyone is interested in becoming a fosterer they can send us an email stating this and we can go from there.

we are just getting things set up and things are still to be finely tuned so please bear with us through this period and again thanks for all your well wishes and support :)

porshiepoo
12-Jul-10, 19:15
Hats off to you.
A canine rescue is something I have always wanted to set up so I know the time and energy you have spent into getting this up and running.

Good luck to yourselves and all future doggies that you get to re-home, I hope it all goes well for you. :)

froal
12-Jul-10, 20:34
Did this use to be name Labrador Rescue ?
And is this New Canine Charity Registered ? :)

aurora32
12-Jul-10, 23:36
Hi Froal,

No Labrador rescue is still going strong and we are a total seperate entity to them. We are not at registered charity status at the moment as not really big enough to benefit from doing so, we are just a rescue group at present with a committee and a constitution, who knows what the future will bring, we hope that it will take off and the waifs and strays of the KW postcode will have a lot of help and support in finding them new forever homes and a new leash of life....:D

northener
15-Jul-10, 13:52
Good luck to you all with this venture, I don't get on here much these days - but I'll be watching you!:Razz

Sarah
15-Jul-10, 18:16
Best of luck with everything! :)

ClachanHope
20-Jul-10, 15:58
I think it would be a good idea for you to become a registered charity, you do not need to be "big" to register. It has nothing to do with the amount of money you raise. I for one will not donate to a charity unless it is registered. I want to know exactly where my money is going and what the charity is doing with it and maybe many more people feel the same way.
I was going to give to Lab Rescue Caithness, but because the person running this charity couldn't or wouldn't give their charity number, they lost out on my donation and it went else where.
So good idea to register.

Allsorts
20-Jul-10, 17:04
As far as I am aware Lab rescue is not a registered charity

aurora32
20-Jul-10, 17:20
just now we are not in the position to become a registered charity, We ahve taken professional advice and been advised that this is the way to go for us at present, our books will be open to those that ask, so people can see where their money is going, it may be something we look to doing in the future but just now our main aim is the dogs that are in need of our help.

ClachanHope
20-Jul-10, 18:32
As far as I am aware Lab rescue is not a registered charity

So I wonder why I wasn't just told that??

Mad1man
21-Jul-10, 01:31
Registering as a new charity is really easy once your constitution is in place, and I don't know where your advice came from but a body like yours may still be eligible to pay tax on income, including your fundraising. That would be a shame with all the hard work you are putting in to get going. I don't think charities have to pay tax on income.

As a tax payer I like to know that for the sake of a quick signature on a form my charitable giving is eligible for 'Gift Aid' i.e. the charity get both my money and anything I paid in tax on that money (Memberships included) that extra 20% or whatever is useful.

Like many others I'm afraid I don't normally give to unregistered groups.

summer
21-Jul-10, 11:54
There's a website www.faithworks.info giving info on how to set up a registered charity, one wee snippet I thought night be useful:

When is the right time?
If you are looking to formally establish a charity, you must have more than just vision and ideas. You need to be able to demonstrate to the Charity Commission that you are financially viable and ready to operate. Some evidence of income, or prospective income of at least a few thousand pounds a year is normally expected. Anything below this and you have to query the value of setting up a charity.

Not that it's my call, but I'd say hold off trying to get charity status until after the first year or two accounts have been reviewed.

Mad1man
24-Jul-10, 15:56
Charity Commision have no say in Scotland, OSCR are the governing body and no income is required only charitable objectives, an acceptable constitution and management structure. Good luck