PDA

View Full Version : does anyone know

welsh-witch
11-Jul-10, 11:19
does anyone know if i can put a cast iron saucepan in a dish washer? dish washers are alien to me lol

Duncansby
11-Jul-10, 11:33
does anyone know if i can put a cast iron saucepan in a dish washer? dish washers are alien to me lol

I'd avoid putting it in the dishwasher and just use gentle soap and water - vigorous cleaning is likely to remove the properties within the metal that prevent sticking and rusting.

Sage
11-Jul-10, 11:48
I wouldnt put it in the dishwasher...i'll start going rusty.

If you have a heavy stain that you cant get rid of try a little clothes washing powder/liquid as the enzymes help eat away the stains. Remember to rinse relaly well afterwards though :D

welsh-witch
11-Jul-10, 12:32
ok thankyou both for that x

poppett
11-Jul-10, 22:01
No dishwashers in my Granny`s day, but I remember her cleaning her cast iron frying pan with an equal mixture of soap powder (Oxydol) and salt on a bit of steel wool.

Dadie
11-Jul-10, 22:14
If the saucepan is enamelled it should be ok.
As long as the enammeling is not chipped or cracked.
But if not dont even think about chancing it!
Soak it in the sink and gently wash it.
My granny would go crazy if you scubbed her cast iron frying pan!

teenybash
11-Jul-10, 23:54
If you have to wash cast iron using any kind of soap, you need to dry it thoroughly and re oil to prevent rusting......but you really shouldn't use any kind of soap or washing up liquid....hot hot water and salt as an abrasive.

tiger woods
12-Jul-10, 19:06
Cast iron saucepans are alien to me.