PDA

View Full Version : Urinary incontinence in dogs

rich
10-Jul-10, 02:58
I need some advice on a very serious matter.

My wife and I - both medical journalists - tend to shuttle to and fro between Toronto and Palm City in Florida plying our trade.

For 14 years and three months our existence was uplifted by our absolutely wonderful dog, Django, a borderline collie. (Part lab, part collie). He has been chasing squirrels in the happy hunting grounds for a little over a year.

Fran and I decided it was probably the right time to check out the local Florida pound - the Humane Society of the Treasure Coast. The pound was full of pit bulls and when we appeared a chorus of barks and attempted escapes ensued.

But in one corner silence reiged. This medium size (58 pounds) all black, lady dog was a brilliant exception; so we took her for a walk - no tugging, no yelping, some sniffing, huge intelligent eyes.

"How old is she?," we asked.

"Two years," came the aswer.

"How is her health?"

"Perfectly healthy," we were told.

We went home and had daquries under the palms and we decided to take her.

She would be my dog! I was really chuffed!!!!!

We went straight to the groomers, we phoned the vet we used for Django to alert him to the new arrival.

This was and is a wonderful dog. Her Pound Name was Layola. We felt that was too rock and roll so we renamed her Jennie - a fine name redolent of quilting bees and organic vegetables.

We have had her now for a week. She is better than ever, the sweetest dog ever...

No now I'll get to the point. (Thank goodness for that, I hear you say...)

Jennie eats next to nothing and drinks lots of water. .

Last night we were sitting in the back yard, the dog was lying down and she suddenly discharged a huge puddle of uriine. There was more on the broadloom in the house.

Today, we went to the vet -our vet.

First finding is Jennie is nearer six than two.

She does not have diabetes or a urinary tract infection.

What Jennie has is urinary incontinece, an increasing problem in the canine population. It cannot be cured but it can be managed with two pills a day.

Trouble is Jennie wont swallow the pills. Maybe we should send her back to the Pound. But that would be a death sentence. And I would be sending her to that death.

But our lifestyle would only suit a fit dog - .

As I said above, Jennie is my dog. It's my decision and she is sitting at my feet.

She has a lot of Chow - purple tongue. Pure bred Chows are notoriousy "grumpy." Chow mixes are the most affectionate dogs there are.

I can vouch for that.

I need advice....

Aaldtimer
10-Jul-10, 03:16
She sounds like a gentle beast.
So I would recommend the method I used to use with my Old English a lot of years ago.
Hold her by the chin, get her to open her mouth, put the pill in as far back as you can , then close her mouth and hold it closed until you feel her swallowing.
Have a water bowl close at hand and she may drink shortly afterwards...job done.;)

On the other hand she may just regurgitate it...job not done.:confused

Plan B...mix it in with her favourite food.:cool:

rich
10-Jul-10, 03:37
Thanks for the advice.

Jennie is very reluctant to eat at all and when she does the pill remains untouched.

To tell you the truth I am a little reluctant to use the manual method simply because I am a little scared - I am not good with my hands....But that's what it's coming to....

Apparentlly the dog feels nothing when the atttack strikes. It just sits there in a puddle. Why this condition should be on the rise is a mystery to me....

Aaldtimer
10-Jul-10, 04:16
Rich...a dog that is reluctant to eat? Wow...never come across one of those!
I think you should persevere with the manual method...she ain't gonna bite by the sounds of her.
Has she got a favourite treat? Try crushing the tablets and mixing them in that.:)

Some intersting reading here:- http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1634&aid=487

carasmam
10-Jul-10, 07:27
Try putting the pill in a good blob of margarine or butter, my dog is not good at taking pills but if the marg fails the toffee out of a twix biscuit is my 2nd option.
My mate has a Bull Mastiff with the same condition and the pills really do work.
Hope it all works out ok for you and Jennie

dragonfly
10-Jul-10, 07:36
sorry to hear about Jennie, she sounds great and if all it takes is 2 tablets a day then its a simple choice.

as for getting the pills down her, in our house liver pate works a treat with both the cats and the dogs.

hope all goes well for you both

Stefan
10-Jul-10, 09:20
I have to give one of my dogs 4 pills a day... I use soft bread, take the crust off and use a little to wrap round the pill, squeeze it, dogs swallows it whole...

If she has issues with food that maybe a ranking order problem. Eat first, then feed her and leave the room after you put her food down. Give her 15 minutes then take her dish up and do the same at the next feeding time (twice a day is normal for adult dogs). Don't be tempted to leave the dish on the floor for her if she doesn't eat.
Try for at least 3 days and don't be scared that she will starve, she won't, trust me.

When you do the above do not give her any treats and NEVER feed her anything from the table.

If you have any questions please feel free to pm me. I am sure I can help even from a distance as I have worked with dogs for years as a dog behaviourist.

rich
10-Jul-10, 12:58
Thanks a lot. Jennie does eat, of course she does, but she does it late at night! Unlike our last dog!

Liz
10-Jul-10, 13:31
Well done for giving Jennie a loving home.

Lots of good advice been given and I would agree that the best way to give her the tablets would be to put them in a tasty treat. You may have to experiment to see what she likes. How about some cooked meat?

I am pretty sure that you get gadgets you put tablets in and then 'shoot' them into the dog's mouth.

Good luck!

Liz
10-Jul-10, 13:33
Here you go Rich.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pill-Dispenser-Pets-Quick-Easy-Use-NEW-/180424653805?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0225bbed

teenybash
10-Jul-10, 16:31
Jennie sounds lovely and bless you for giving the lovely girl a home....you won't regret it.....My old lady has 4 tabs per day and not good at taking them....now they are wrapped in the white centre of a Milkyway...problem solved. As soon as I lift her bottle of tabs, she is over beside me, tail wagging, waiting for her first tasty treat of the day.......you will find what Jennie's tastebud tickler is and she too will look forward to her 'special treats.' :Razz

Leanne
10-Jul-10, 16:46
If she is stubborn and won't be bribed by smothering it with soft cheese what I would do is this (not advisable for dogs that bite unless you are quick and confident).

Sit your dog and stand directly behind her with your feet together but your knees open.
Gently grip her shoulders between your knees - this combined with the feet together should stop her going forwards or sideways.
Lift her head up and prize her jaws open - I tend to stick my thumb into the size of the mouth where the teeth are stubbiest.
With your other hand pop the pill right to the back on her throat (way to the back of the tongue) and immediately close her mouth with the other hand.
Hold the mouth shut and stroke her throat until she swallows.
If she wont swallow you can blow gently on their nose - this dries it out and then they lick it to make it wet again. As they lick the pill goes down ;).

This technique can also be used on cats, though you have to kneel down and once practiced works every time!

Hogfather
11-Jul-10, 14:21
Not sure whether it's the same over there, but some canine incontinence meds are available in liquid form over here - would she be more likely to take 'drops' on her food? Alternatively, if the pills are OK for it (some meds can't be given crushed), you can crush 'em up, mix 'em with a little milk or stock or something that she likes to drink, and just trickle (syringe) the lot into the side of her mouth. Helps if she is a dog with baggy lips! Doesn't need to be a large volume either. Harder to spit out as liquid, but doesn't work so well if the pills are very nasty tasting.

sunshine23
12-Jul-10, 19:12
Hi,

There was two methods that I used for my dog. He was a fussy eater but loved cooked ham. I wrapped the pills in the cooked ham and down the hatch like a treat. Another one was, the liquid form was given with a large syringe. The syringe was placed to the very far side of his mouth and in along his back teeth and then I just squeezed. The pressure drove the liquid automatically down his throat and he had to swallow. I know it sounds cruel but it is not really. It worked and never harmed my dog but helped him. Also, there are dog nappys that you can buy that will help her along with Pampers bed mats to help with accidents.