PDA

View Full Version : Killer Whales Spotted

lynne duncan
10-Jun-04, 00:00
How many people saw the whales in Reiss bay tonight. My parents counted 7 or 8 and think that the whales were Orcas.
I wonder if these are the same pod as was seen in the Pentland Firth last year. And if it is why are they now in these waters is it due to climate change,
I thought the Orcas previously had only been sited further north.
If these mammals are going to take up permanent residence here it will be a boost to the tourist trade

MadPict
10-Jun-04, 00:49
They will certainly solve any seal problems ;)

When we were in Orkney recently we went to the Tomb Of The Eagles and as we were being shown around by Ronald Simison, he told the story of the tourists who were on the cliffs at the tomb when they spotted a killer Whale 'playing' with a seal just off shore - it appeared to be a youngster that was learning the necessary skills. The pod moved around the south of South Ronaldsey so it could well be the same pod.

Naefearjustbeer
10-Jun-04, 00:53
They will certainly solve any seal problems ;)

About time for nature to equalise the balance, The seal population has been growing uncontrolled for far too long.

linzy222
10-Jun-04, 08:22
There is 1 lying died on the beach near the old amercian base, we were there last night walking the dogs, and it looked fresh so it hasn't been there for long!!

CL
11-Jun-04, 03:21
When I was a kid there was a pod of about a dozen Killer Whales off Noss Head one year. It must have been about 1984. Therefore they've occassionally been making it that far South for a good few years, so climate change may be unrelated.

It was a grand sight, I was out in a wee 13foot creel boat with my Dad & his neighbour, one of the whales surfaced not more than 6 feet from us, it was near twice the size of the boat!! The dorsal fin must be about 5 foot tall aswell. About a week later the whales were sighted again up past Orkney.

[/b]