PDA

View Full Version : Margaret ross?

nevergiveup
09-Jul-10, 18:57
Margaret Ross was born in Latheron around 1847. She married Donald Mclean on 4th June 1875 in Thurso. I am seeking information about Margarets parents and any sisters or brothers she may have had. Thankyou !

cuthill
09-Jul-10, 22:21
Do you have the wedding cert,and if so what was the parents names.

nevergiveup
10-Jul-10, 10:25
Unfortunately not! Found the wedding date on IGI,but have not got any further as yet.

trinkie
10-Jul-10, 13:23
In Ancestry I found :-

1851 Latheron.

John Ross 38 Fisherman born Latheron
Catherine 42
Catherine 12
David 11
Christina 9
Emilia 7
Donald 6
MARGARET 4 born Latheron

Catherine Ross spinster aunt 63.

I have no idea if this is the family you are looking for !
Try Scotlandspeople for the marriage certificate, this will give
you the names of both sets of parents, and sometimes the dates of their marriage , addresses, occupations, and very often the witnesses are relatives which is another good help.

Look at the names listed on the census return, and see if they appear again in your family, particularly the names of the parents.

Good luck
Trinkie

nevergiveup
10-Jul-10, 16:00
Thankyou trinkie for your valuable help! I will follow your notes to get to the bottom of my search.

susan.leith
10-Jul-10, 19:56
From marriage certificate - Margaret's parents were George Ross (farmer) and Isabella McBeath. PM me if you want a copy of the certificate (or just email me if you know who I am!!)

cuthill
11-Jul-10, 01:10
Found Margaret born in Watten and 2 sisters
Margaret Ross c 08/01/1837 Watten
Christina Ross /1841 Watten
Isabella Ross /1846 Latheron
sorry no dates for the births of her sisters.
on IGI there marriage date is 07/01/1836 and it gives Georges birth as 1811 Achlipster,Watten and Isabellas as b1815 Reisgill,Latheron.

nevergiveup
11-Jul-10, 12:15
Thankyou Susan, will pm you later! Thankyou Cuthill too. Im looking for a connection between Margaret Ross and possibly her family regarding the birth mother of my grandfather Kenneth Hossack Maclean born in Dingwall in 1892. His birth mother was a Jane Macleod. I believe at that time babies born out of wedlock were taken in by family members,hence my search to find the correct family of his birth mother.