PDA

View Full Version : Instrument support thread

moncur
27-Jun-06, 13:49
Hi, Just wondering if people would like to post their hints and tips for any the maintenance of any instruments onto this thread? I'm sure a lot of folk would benefit from other peoples advice.

Il make a start,

Rub Pencil graphite or vaseline on the nut grooves of guitars to avoid strings catching after playing bends. This also reduces buzzing sounds the come from the nut.

DOC ROCK
27-Jun-06, 14:07
Boil "in the bag" your bass guitar strings with some vinegar for about 10 minutes, or until tender. Fit them back on after drying, and they will sound just like new for at least 10 minutes.

stratman
27-Jun-06, 21:09
I remember reading somewhere that Vaseline on the nut can cause excessive wear to the nut due to it catching detritus that can be abrasive, graphite is great though.
Great idea for a thread.
Loosen off strings before laying up a guitar for a while. I guess this would be the case for any stringed instrument.

Jeid
27-Jun-06, 21:56
If you put stickers on your guitar and it leaves a sticky residue behind, rubbing baby oil on it makes it easier to remove.

theweemidget
27-Jun-06, 23:31
wee tip use WD40 on amps to avoid scratchy dials

DOC ROCK
28-Jun-06, 14:18
Micropore tape is a must for any hard hitting, over worked drummer. It lets your fingers breath and doesn't leave behind wrinkled white flesh after it has been removed.

moncur
28-Jun-06, 15:51
Dont use 'Mr Sheen' or any other furniture polish on your instruments as it will dry the wood out, especially fret/fingerboards. Best thing to use on necks is lemon oil.

theweemidget
28-Jun-06, 15:59
you can use T-cut to remove scratches. use polish with bees wax or linseed oil

zebedy
28-Jun-06, 17:10
Dont use 'Mr Sheen' or any other furniture polish on your instruments as it will dry the wood out, especially fret/fingerboards. Best thing to use on necks is lemon oil.

Squeeze a lemon on it?... Or is there stuf caled Lemon?

Jeid
28-Jun-06, 22:12

Is this advice only meant for necks? I really don't see how it could dry wood out on a guitar body with so many thick coats of lacquer.

moncur
29-Jun-06, 08:38
Is this advice only meant for necks? I really don't see how it could dry wood out on a guitar body with so many thick coats of lacquer.

Ok, its only for necks that you shouldn't use mr Sheen, Zeb dont go squeezing lemons over your guitar, you can buy the stuff on ebay

Jeid
29-Jun-06, 10:59
Think lemon oil only really works well for rosewood necks.

Chobbersjnr
29-Jun-06, 17:35
Think lemon oil only really works well for rosewood necks.

??? any wood soaks in oil Jeid ??? varnished necks can be polished as the varnish doesn't soak up anything except stickiness

wouldn't lemon oil make your axe smell like a lemon

I hate varnished necks

anyhoo brasso & beeswax is the one for my neck, cos' I got a brass neck[lol]