PDA

View Full Version : Domestic Flights to become a thing of the past.

Rheghead
09-Jul-10, 16:42
Phillip Hammond, the tory transport secretary, has declared that domestic flights are to become a thing of the past.

What are your thoughts, will you think it will help us get a better rail link or something or will it just be another nail in the far north's coffin?

Another tory on cloud cuckooland or radical reformer?

http://www.flightglobal.com/airspace/forums/transport-minister-predicts-end-to-domestic-50445.aspx

bagpuss
09-Jul-10, 17:01
Nope- no chance of better rail links- improved coach services perhaps-
or perhaps we should give up travelling for business and do everything online.

Holidays too would be more likely to become UK rather than foreign events

Why not make all flights a thing of the past?

Phill
09-Jul-10, 21:52
The only way to seriously get a high speed rail connection from Caithness would be to tunnel under the Moray.

Cost effective hey!

Air links, well, we need something that gets people further south.
But would we use it?

Where do people want to get too?

Beat Bug
09-Jul-10, 23:18
We regularily travel south to visit our kids and grandkids. Sometimes we drive, taking 2-3 days. This weekend I'll be flying down, as I have a car to pick up. (it got sick whilst on holidays, and now want to come home!) If there were no domestic flights, we'd have to drive down, then drive 2 cars home, driving a ttotal of 1800 miles instead of 600. Plus the cost of cat and dog in kennels!

Anfield
10-Jul-10, 00:10
We regularily travel south to visit our kids and grandkids. Sometimes we drive, taking 2-3 days. This weekend I'll be flying down, as I have a car to pick up. (it got sick whilst on holidays, and now want to come home!) If there were no domestic flights, we'd have to drive down, then drive 2 cars home, driving a ttotal of 1800 miles instead of 600. Plus the cost of cat and dog in kennels!

A lot of miles, but I would hazard a guess that even taking into account fuel costs and kennel fees that it would still cost less than flying. Obviously your time in driving can not be quantified.
There is a desparate need for a low cost air service to connect us in North with Glasgow/Edinburgh airports, but the closure by various budget airlines of such a service shows that there is not enough of a demand to make it financially feasible.
This then raises the issue of how can we in the North travel to the central belt in order to catch planes/trains to venture further South
A rail link under/over the Moray would be the most ecological option, but then we have to convince motorists to leave their cars at home and this is where that option falls down.
The infrastructure up here for public transport is abysmal to say the least,
where I live I have one bus in the morning to Thurso, one at lunchtime and one mid-afternoon.
Therefore, for people in remote areas, we have to drive to Wick/Thurso to catch a train South, and what happens when we get there? limited parking spaces. I don't know about Wick, but Thurso has about 5 spaces.
Is it any wonder why people are not travelling by Public transport?

Our resident MP has no such problems though, a flight from London to Inverness and then a taxi will come from Wick to collect him and take him home and when he has to return to Westminster the reversal of the above.

Kenn
10-Jul-10, 00:10
Humm about time that Westminster realised just how far north these islands go, if there were no domestic flights then we could all be in trouble.

Rheghead
10-Jul-10, 00:25
The sad thing is that the rail network that we have inherited was built upon a 19th century landscape and nothing has changed much since then. And now it is not fit for purpose. And yet if they put a new line through the countryside, local people will be up in arms yet it is them that thinks that we can cut emissions by going by rail and stop flying over their rural areas.

Phill
10-Jul-10, 00:33
All very well, but people are not using the flights that we have.

We have flights to Edinburgh & Aberdeen. But these are under utilised, OK, through cost I can understand.
But what if there was something more direct, more southerly, would this work?

I flew to Manchester, this was two flights. I flew to Geneva, this was two flights :confused:eek:.
It should be one to the likes of Manchester.

Would a direct flight into a major hub work?
(and no, it ain't gonna be a bobby dazzler like Easy or Ryan, but think the costs through)

bagpuss
10-Jul-10, 00:38
there are outposts of Highland where getting even to inverness is a trip of at least 5 hours- think Durness or Kinlochbervie- and without the current infrastructure that could be Caithness.

Time is the governing factor- for some people with family responsibilities the day trip to Aberdeen is really useful, as is the current 2 hours by car. remove all domestic flights- and it won't just be Highland that gets hit.

So what do the Coalition have up their sleeves next?

Anfield
10-Jul-10, 01:21
But what if there was something more direct, more southerly, would this work?....

Would a direct flight into a major hub work?
(and no, it ain't gonna be a bobby dazzler like Easy or Ryan, but think the costs through)

About 2 years ago, one of the budget airlines had a twice weekly flight to Liverpool, and if you booked early you could get a flight for 99p (plus about £15 taxes etc which was OK) and the times I used it it was busy. The problem was that Liverpool Airport is not really part of the International hub, so people then had to get to Manchester. (a bit like flying to Aberdeen and having to make a journey to Glasgow/Edinburgh )
The scheme only lasted one summer, and we are now back to the £300+ fares.
I think that we just have to accept the fact that cheap air fares will not happen up here, unless airlines receive massive subsidies

theone
10-Jul-10, 01:32
For the majority of Brits this is a valid idea.

There's no reason why fast trains can't replace flights between the big cities, especially for the business user. A problem with fast trains is that they don't like to stop very often, therefore new lines might increase road traffic between commuter towns and the cities.

For us, it's not an option. I can pay £93 return to Aberdeen by plane, 25 mins each way or £55 for an open return by train, 7 hours each way. Unless I value my spare time at a lot less than the minimum wage it's no brainer which option I use.

donnick
10-Jul-10, 02:29
i thought i was reading domestic fights thats what i gets 4 coming inher half cut :lol:

mrlennie
10-Jul-10, 10:08
i thought i was reading domestic fights thats what i gets 4 coming inher half cut :lol:

I thought the same lol

THANKFULLY I HAVE THE SOLUTION!!!

when the law comes in and you need to fly down to manchester or wherever what you do is fly first to neighboring country! THEN back to your planned destination!

ducati
10-Jul-10, 11:46
It wouldn't bother me in the least. I visit the family in Manchester once in a while and love the road trip. Never really need to go anywhere else except Aberdeen occasionally and there is never any time pressure.

As for London I can honestly say I won't care if I never see the place again :eek:

Fluff
10-Jul-10, 12:10
I would be gutted if the flights were scrapped. I don't drive at the moment, and even if I did, not sure I could cope with such a long drive! Last time we came up we took the sleeper from London to Inverness.
It was really nice, bit of a novelty, but took so long and was so tiring! We are flying up in August to Inverness, but at £350 for the both of us, not cheap! If we could fly to Wick at a reasonable cost I would jump at it and certainly visit more often!

charlie
10-Jul-10, 12:20
Our resident MP has no such problems though, a flight from London to Inverness and then a taxi will come from Wick to collect him and take him home and when he has to return to Westminster the reversal of the above.

You will find that our resident MP is on the 7am Flight Wick to Aberdeen on a Monday morning for a connection to Heathrow Shuttle like many of us who regularly work "Doon sooth"

Rheghead
10-Jul-10, 12:35
I just wish MPs would come up with real alternative travel arrangements before saying ridiculous stuff like Phillip Hammond says.

Welcomefamily
10-Jul-10, 14:07
Wick to Southampton is a good one if booked a few months ahead, the connection flight is only about an hour or so wait at Edinburgh, just enough time for a bite to eat and a pint. Trains down to the South West can take ages as even if you get the sleeper you then got to get across London (+1hr) and then the high speed train, London to Exeter (+1.5hr) with possible 1-2 hrs wait. Add in the Thurso bit and you are getting close to 18 hrs.

Wick to Southampton in Oct 53.00 (less discount), I can fly to Exeter from Edinburgh but then pay 2 separate lots of tax.

Car leave at 5pm and arrive at 6am or overnight stop and two days.

bagpuss
10-Jul-10, 14:10
Remember this post is about what happens if all domestic flights are a thing of the past. Do you think that Westminster will eventually stop meeting in the parliament building and take part in debate and voting from computers in their own constituencies?

ducati
10-Jul-10, 16:49
Remember this post is about what happens if all domestic flights are a thing of the past. Do you think that Westminster will eventually stop meeting in the parliament building and take part in debate and voting from computers in their own constituencies?

That would make a great deal of sense! :cool:

Phill
10-Jul-10, 21:08
About 2 years ago, one of the budget airlines had a twice weekly flight to Liverpool......... From Wick? Ryanair used to do do a INV to scousley run.

I think that we just have to accept the fact that cheap air fares will not happen up here, unless airlines receive massive subsidiesCheap fares like Easy & Ryan are not going to happen, but if there is a need for other connections and this can be shown, things could change.

I just wish MPs would come up with real alternative travel arrangements before saying ridiculous stuff like Phillip Hammond says.MP's saying ridiculous stuff, never!
A load of hot air to get brownie points. The rail network needs billions and it needs it now to get anywhere close to ground aereyplanes.

The guy was talking tosh basically.

Rheghead
10-Jul-10, 21:11
As for Wick airport, that will close along with the rundown of Dounreay.

MileHigh
10-Jul-10, 21:35

I doubt it !

http://www.loganair.co.uk/loganair/press-office/89/loganair-helps-ride-across-britain-cyclists

Phill
10-Jul-10, 21:47

It ain't gonna close anytime soon.

bagpuss
10-Jul-10, 22:05
Caithness has quite a number of off shore oil workers who use the Aberdeen flight as a stage on their off shore trip- they fly direct to Aberdeen and then transfer to the heliport.

If that flight stopped, they might decide to relocate to Aberdeen- and more well paid jobs would be taken out of the county. imagine the effect that would have on caithness- what you'd be let with would be Firhall on a much bigger scale- lots of retired people who relocate to a place where property (to buy and rent) is much cheaper.

perhaps someone with sense should email Mr Hammond and put him right? i trust he does live in a place where he has easy access to all the facilities he needs without ever having to fly, take public transport or perish the thought have to drive for longer than an hour max

Rheghead
10-Jul-10, 23:22
I doubt it !

http://www.loganair.co.uk/loganair/press-office/89/loganair-helps-ride-across-britain-cyclists

Who in their right mind would want to cycle the length of Britain on a flippin bike for goodness sake!

Phill
10-Jul-10, 23:47
Who in their right mind would want to cycle the length of Britain on a flippin bike for goodness sake!

Yeah, .....Nutter's.

golach
10-Jul-10, 23:57

Right Nutters Rheg.....Why?????

bagpuss
11-Jul-10, 18:38
Remember that the same Hammond (as opposed to the cute little one on Top Gear) lives and works in central London, and as dave did away with ministerial cars, does cycle to his office daily. Noone who lives in central London likes driving at all- I avoid it like the plague and prefer to use the Tube or take taxis- London has very few nice shiny new motors- they get trashed in the parking process.

Caithness can't do without the car (weather apart from anything else makes sense)

but politicians are aware that VAT on diesel and petrol is about to skyrocket- and this makes them so terribly virtuous