PDA

View Full Version : Retirement

bagpuss
08-Jul-10, 23:05
looking at Newsnight this evening and a comment on Question Time, it looks as if retirement will be a long way off for many- imagine a nurse in her late 70's dealing with an emergency, or a teacher in his 80's with dementia taking a maths class.

Should anyone really have to retire at all?

And if people don't retire- what happens to younger people seeking jobs?

Might an alternative to retirement be a compulsary Dignitas booking at 70? it might make us all value the time we have on this earth- and not live for some timein the future that might not ever come

Nacho
08-Jul-10, 23:40
those who haven't worked more than 80% of their working lives should be put to death at 65,

those who have worked less than 20% should be culled at 60

anyone who works more than 80% can live as long as they like

certain exemptions will apply (genuinely disabled, housewives bringing up the bairns or ... can't think of any others .. :confused)

cull the workshy and let the hard workers enjoy their retirement at 65 !!!

Phill
09-Jul-10, 00:33
certain exemptions will apply (genuinely disabled, housewives bringing up the bairns or ... can't think of any others ..

I embrace your easygoing libralism. Says I, bringing up bairns and building up a business fulltime.....ish, I started late today (yesterday) around 8AM ish, still working now and for the next hour or so I imagine.

Oh to be a housewife.

Bazeye
09-Jul-10, 14:07
What if your job is physically demanding eg brickie, builder etc?

Phill
09-Jul-10, 14:15
Where did the Ladyboy links go?

I found them very exc... educational.

Nacho
09-Jul-10, 16:19
What if your job is physically demanding eg brickie, builder etc?

can you imagine a 65 year old lapdancer ?!

well Phill can, but what about us right minded folk !!

annthracks
09-Jul-10, 16:40
Where did the Ladyboy links go?

I found them very exc... educational.

just google shemales... er... apparently ;)

bagpuss
09-Jul-10, 16:52
Okay, frivolity aside, this post did have a serious point- at what age will most people currently in their forties actually retire?

I do have a cautionary tale- that of my friend's dad. he ran his own business in Wick and for year after year promised his poor wife (who was a few years his senior) that when he shut up the shop, he's take her on a round the world trip to do all the things they'd planned.

The only trouble was that he hung on until his assistant was ready to retire- and while going to the shop every day wasn't in his head a big thing, it took its toll on him. When he was 75 his health completley imploded. Worse still his poor wife- who had given up on him ever retiring took ill -was terrified at the responsibility of looking after him, and died.

My friend had to wind down the business, sort out moving house for her parents- and as she's got no siblings and the closest relative is in Canada, had to sort out her mum's funeral entirely on her own. She says it taught her a serious lesson- that no-one goes on forever and if we don't listen to our body clocks when they start saying we can't cope, then there'll be no prospect of retirement at all.

My original post flagged this up- can you imagine the trauma to children if a teacher droppped dead in front of them?

yes you can mock at the idea of elderly lapdancers - but a brickie in his 70's or 80's might be a liability to ahve on a building site.

Our new coalition govermnent are full of bright ideas- but I doubt any of them will decline their MP's and Cabinet pensions when their turn comes

gollach
09-Jul-10, 18:01
My original post flagged this up- can you imagine the trauma to children if a teacher droppped dead in front of them?

Can you imagine a 70 year old teacher trying to keep 30 teenagers under control? You are talking about an age difference of more than 50 years.

ciderally
09-Jul-10, 18:08
coalition goverment .... what planet they on ?

bagpuss
09-Jul-10, 19:57
Aberdeenshire had a policy in the 1950's of keeping on older teachers when they were planning on closing the smaller rural schools. Friend's granny retired at 70. Granted it was a small school, but this how things were done (she'd missed out on 20 years of pension as married women weren't allowed to teach until 1939- and this let her catch up.

we're now living longer- the 20 somethings have a life expectacny of 90- so what age is the right age?

Gordon Bonnet
09-Jul-10, 20:08
er..about £8k I reckon.

The Tories plan to see me work another year.
I'm due to retire a few weeks after their planned increase to 66.
I won't work the extra year - by then 49 years of graft will have been enough. Only about half of that time has seen me working really 'hard'
(which is still about 25 years)

'Hard' work is a term often hi-jacked by people who only think they work hard. My work/our work has netted us about three years pay in savings because we haven't frittered our money away on fritterings.

Nevertheless I think I will be ready for a rest by 2016. and if anyone thinks I shouldn't have one they can sod off. It will be time for some of that rainy day money to be spent.

Am I annoyed? - yes.

Basically, H.M.G. is attempting to cheat me out of about £8k pension.
There may be trouble ahead....but if they won't listen - stuff 'em.

Gordon Bonnet
09-Jul-10, 20:11
Aberdeenshire had a policy in the 1950's of keeping on older teachers when they were planning on closing the smaller rural schools. Friend's granny retired at 70. Granted it was a small school, but this how things were done (she'd missed out on 20 years of pension as married women weren't allowed to teach until 1939- and this let her catch up.

we're now living longer- the 20 somethings have a life expectacny of 90- so what age is the right age?

At least you didn't say 'We're all living longer' - which is the expression Politicians usually trot out. The next M.P. to say that to me will get short shrift - maybe even a thick ear.

Simply put, longevity is a lottery which is more dependent upon postcode and profession than anything else.

sandyr1
09-Jul-10, 21:50
Now what would be wrong with having a Private Pension Plan and retiring early? Say 55!
Altho' one wouldn't have the Gov't Pension until 65+, one could still retire early....
Why does everyone or many people rely on the Gov't Pension? Doesn't a person have some responsibility to look after themselves!

Phill
09-Jul-10, 21:57
The reality is that UK PLC cannot afford to fund the current & future pension situation (state, civil service etc.) unless we pay huge sums into it.

So, plan for the future. You have control of your destiny.

You want to retire at 50? Work, save, plan well, invest and retire.
You want someone else to take care of you, then you retire when they can afford it.

Nacho, have you tried here: www.OAP-lapdancers.com (http://travel.saga.co.uk/holidays.aspx?pid=ppsg) saucy!!

sandyr1
09-Jul-10, 22:02
Correct as above. Most Countries cannot solve this imbalance, thus reduced pensions. We have lived on the edge for many years and now we all must pay the price.

bagpuss
10-Jul-10, 00:50
Right- the discussion is taking shape I see. A guy I know worked for a prestigious oil company and burned out from a combination of stress and marital break up. He did have a considerable pension- much of it in Equitable Life- and lost a fair whack of it. he had seen potential shortfalls, and diverted what remained into property- just before the credit crunch. he is just about the age for taking his state pension now- but has opted to start his own personnel and recruitment company- in Norway. His original plan- which he'd save for- had been retirement at 55. Now he reckons he'll not be able to afford to retire at all. he's lucky in that he has the means to keep working- other people- with similar plans have been less fortunate

So my question to you is this- retire? or work till you drop?

Moira
10-Jul-10, 01:16
Okay, frivolity aside, this post did have a serious point- at what age will most people currently in their forties actually retire?

I do have a cautionary tale- that of my friend's dad. he ran his own business in Wick and <snip>

I do so hope you have your friend's permission to post this.

Rheghead
10-Jul-10, 02:12
I hope I can never retire so long as my health holds out. Being what we do defines us and many people find that retirement comes too early.

tonkatojo
10-Jul-10, 21:07
[QUOTE=Phill;734084]The reality is that UK PLC cannot afford to fund the current & future pension situation (state, civil service etc.) unless we pay huge sums into it.

You want someone else to take care of you, then you retire when they can afford it.

Being self sufficient usually means the government take it away from you.

.-- --- ..- .-.. -.. / - .... .- - / -... . / - .... . / - ..- .-. -.- . -.-- / ... .. --.. . / ..-. --- .. .-.. / -.-- --- ..- / .-. . --.- ..- .. .-. . / ..--.. .-.-.-

Di-dah-dah Dah-dah-dah Di-di-dah Di-dah-di-dit Dah-di-dit, Dah Di-di-di-dit Di-dah Dah, Dah-di-di-dit Dit, Dah Di-di-di-dit Dit, Dah Di-di-dah Di-dah-dit Dah-di-dah Dit Dah-di-dah-dah, Di-di-dit Di-dit Dah-dah-di-dit Dit, Di-di-dah-dit Dah-dah-dah Di-dit Di-dah-di-dit, Dah-di-dah-dah Dah-dah-dah Di-di-dah, Di-dah-dit Dit Dah-dah-di-dah Di-di-dah Di-dit Di-dah-dit Dit, Di-di-dah-dah-di-dit Di-dah-di-dah-di-dah

Phill
10-Jul-10, 21:43
[quote=Phill;734084]The reality is that UK PLC cannot afford to fund the current & future pension situation (state, civil service etc.) unless we pay huge sums into it.

Being self sufficient usually means the government take it away from you.

.-- --- ..- .-.. -.. / - .... .- - / -... . / - .... . / - ..- .-. -.- . -.-- / ... .. --.. . / ..-. --- .. .-.. / -.-- --- ..- / .-. . --.- ..- .. .-. . / ..--.. .-.-.-

Di-dah-dah Dah-dah-dah Di-di-dah Di-dah-di-dit Dah-di-dit, Dah Di-di-di-dit Di-dah Dah, Dah-di-di-dit Dit, Dah Di-di-di-dit Dit, Dah Di-di-dah Di-dah-dit Dah-di-dah Dit Dah-di-dah-dah, Di-di-dit Di-dit Dah-dah-di-dit Dit, Di-di-dah-dit Dah-dah-dah Di-dit Di-dah-di-dit, Dah-di-dah-dah Dah-dah-dah Di-di-dah, Di-dah-dit Dit Dah-dah-di-dah Di-di-dah Di-dit Di-dah-dit Dit, Di-di-dah-dah-di-dit Di-dah-di-dah-di-dah

True, very true.
Just don't tell the gov't how much you have :Razz

-.-. --- -. ..-. .. .-. -- / . -..- - .-. .- / .-- .. -.. . / .-. . --.- ..- .. .-. . -.. / ... - --- .--.

tonkatojo
11-Jul-10, 09:54
[quote=tonkatojo;734488]

True, very true.
Just don't tell the gov't how much you have :Razz

-.-. --- -. ..-. .. .-. -- / . -..- - .-. .- / .-- .. -.. . / .-. . --.- ..- .. .-. . -.. / ... - --- .--.

.. / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / ... . . / .- -... --- ..- - / ..-. --- .. .-.. / .- ... .- .--. / ... - --- .--. / .-- .... --- / .. ... / -.-- --- ..- .-. / .- -.-. -.-. --- ..- -. - .- -. - / ... - --- .--. LOL

Bobinovich
11-Jul-10, 10:15
-.-- --- ..- / - .-- --- / .- .-. . / -.-. . .-. - .. ..-. .. .- -... .-.. . / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / - .... .- -

tonkatojo
11-Jul-10, 10:35
-.-- --- ..- / - .-- --- / .- .-. . / -.-. . .-. - .. ..-. .. .- -... .-.. . / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / - .... .- -

.- -.-- . / -... ..- - / .-- .... .- - / --. .. ...- . ... / -.-- --- ..- / - .... . / .-. .. --. .... - / - --- / -.. .. .- --. -. --- ... . / ... - --- .--.

Phill
11-Jul-10, 11:02
.... --- .-- / -.. --- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / .-- . / .... .- ...- . / -. --- - / -... . . -. / .- .-.. .-. . .- -.. -.-- / ... - --- .--.

.. / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / ... . . / .- -... --- ..- - / ..-. --- .. .-.. / .- ... .- .--. / ... - --- .--. / .-- .... --- / .. ... / -.-- --- ..- .-. / .- -.-. -.-. --- ..- -. - .- -. - / ... - --- .--. Lol-.-- . ... / .- ... .- .--. / ..-. --- .. .-.. / ... - --- .--. / -.. --- -. - / - .-. ..- ... - / .- -.-. -.-. --- ..- -. - .- -. - ... / -.- . . .--. / .. - / .- .-.. .-.. / ..- -. -.. . .-. / -- . / -... . -.. / ... - --- .--.

tonkatojo
11-Jul-10, 12:12
.... --- .-- / -.. --- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / .-- . / .... .- ...- . / -. --- - / -... . . -. / .- .-.. .-. . .- -.. -.-- / ... - --- .--.

-.-- . ... / .- ... .- .--. / ..-. --- .. .-.. / ... - --- .--. / -.. --- -. - / - .-. ..- ... - / .- -.-. -.-. --- ..- -. - .- -. - ... / -.- . . .--. / .. - / .- .-.. .-.. / ..- -. -.. . .-. / -- . / -... . -.. / ... - --- .--.

..-. .-. --- -- / .- / -... / - .... .-. . . / --- .--. . .-. .- - --- .-. / ..-. .-. --- -- / -. .. -. . - . . -. / ... . ...- . -. - -.-- / . .. --. .... - / - --- / .- - / .-.. . .- ... - / .- -. --- - .... . .-. / --- ..-. / - .... .- - / --. .-. .- -.. . / -- . / - .... .. -. -.- ... / .-- . / .- .-. . / -.-. . .-. - .. ..-. .. .- -... .-.. . / ... - --- .--. .-.-.-

Phill
11-Jul-10, 12:21
..-. .-. --- -- / .- / -... / - .... .-. . . / --- .--. . .-. .- - --- .-. / ..-. .-. --- -- / -. .. -. . - . . -. / ... . ...- . -. - -.-- / . .. --. .... - / - --- / .- - / .-.. . .- ... - / .- -. --- - .... . .-. / --- ..-. / - .... .- - / --. .-. .- -.. . / -- . / - .... .. -. -.- ... / .-- . / .- .-. . / -.-. . .-. - .. ..-. .. .- -... .-.. . / ... - --- .--. .-.-.-.. / .- -- / -.-. .... . .- - .. -. --. / ... - --- .--. / --- -. / -- -.-- / .-.. .. ... - / --- ..-. / - .... .. -. --. ... / - --- / -.. --- / ... - --- .--.

golach
11-Jul-10, 12:28
for anyone confused just go here, [lol]

http://www.csgnetwork.com/morsecodedeconv.html

Rheghead
11-Jul-10, 12:50

Thanks I thought my computer hadn't got the latest ASCII reader thingy downloaded lol

Bobinovich
11-Jul-10, 15:21

Naah, far better one here http://morsecode.scphillips.com/jtranslator.html :D

Phill
11-Jul-10, 15:46
-.-- --- ..- / .... .- ...- . / --. .. ...- . -. / - .... . / --. .- -- . / .- .-- .- -.-- / -. --- .--

golach
11-Jul-10, 17:38
- --- ..- --. .... ... - ..- .--. .. -.. --. .- -- . .- -. -.-- .-- .- -.--

Phill
11-Jul-10, 18:10
-. --- / .. - ... / -. --- -

golach
11-Jul-10, 18:40
Yes it is, [lol] thats me out!!!!!!

sandyr1
12-Jul-10, 02:00
You guys are a wee bitty behind the times. Morse Code went extinct about 15/20 years ago.
Get with it.....Oh I forgot.....some of u r in Kaitness!

TopCat
12-Jul-10, 08:35
70years old-female-worked all my life-widowed at 50-brought up a child-pensoined of through ill health at 63-Recieved phone call last Monday demanding to know why I do not work and am I really trying to get work and if I canntg get a job I should consider doing volantry work-no use telling her I need help myself-on Thursday another call and the same rig-ma roll again-what dose one do?-what a reward in my gloaming years for having been independant all my days-dose it pay?:(

bagpuss
12-Jul-10, 20:51
Tough call TC.

Remember that when the pension was introduced, the alternative was the workhouse for those without savings- that and a pauper's burial.

Life expectancy was much lower then- most people would ahve got it for less than 5 years.

Now consider this- if life expectancy is higher- and the pension were to last only the last decade of it- the pension age might be as late as 75 or even 85.

The idea would be that everyone would have to save up every spare penny- and hope it was saved in a place where the value would not diminish. A few years ago buy to let was the great white hope- but that was before the credit crunch; the falling value of property and the increase in capital gains tax.

Of course we can apply the use it or lose it philosophy and keep going as long as we can- working past retirement does get people out of the house- meeting people and keeping those little grey cells going.

Whitewater
13-Jul-10, 00:01
Retirement can be tough for some people. My official retirement was at 60, but I was not ready for it then, done another 3yrs on yearly contracts, it wound me down slowly, the director at Dounreay decided he had to reduce staff levels and the people on yearly contracts did not get them renewed. It was fine for me then, I was actually looking forward to it. I have, so far, had an excellent retirement for 5yrs. My wife could retire as well, but she enjoys her work, has now reduced down to five half days per week, but does not want to give it up yet, will probable do another two to three years if they will have her.

It is good for some people, others dread it. I think the main thing is to keep active, body and mind. Enjoy yourself, and do all the things you were unable to do when you were working. My retirement present from work was a Claud Butler racing bike, I don't race but it is great for the road, I hadn't cycled for about 40 years, people thought I was nuts getting a bycycle, but I love it and it helps to keep me fit. I am also lucky enough to have a good private pension as well as my old age one. It all helps. Bowling is also a very social game, you meet many people just out for an afternoons fun and a good blether. Just get involved in things, it all helps to keep you and your mind active and healthy, too many people just hang up their boots and vegitate once they retire. It can be so good, I should have done it years ago.

Rheghead
13-Jul-10, 02:18
My retirement present from work was a Claud Butler racing bike,

If you've got a Dalesman then you have got yourself a great bicycle. I had one for 17 years and it was robust like a mountain bike but quick on the road. Perhaps we could go for a run out together? Land's end to JoG in October?? You only live once you know! :D