PDA

View Full Version : 200 signatures for ASDA already!

Tugmistress
27-Jun-06, 09:51
Please mods, Can we make this thread sticky for a while?

The petition to ask ASDA to appeal the decision made yesterday (monday 26th June) has received 200+ signatures in less than 24 hours.

If you haven't signed it yet, please follow this link and sign if you would like an ASDA in Thurso.

http://www.petitiononline.com/asda/petition.html

I intend to give it until next monday (3rd July) then print off the petition and send it to the head quarters in leeds by snail mail. the petition will stay live after that though as i will also include a link in my covering letter so they can see the support online for themselves as it will hopefully still be growing.

Am trying to formulate a letter that people can just copy and paste if they want to send individual letters of support to head office and when it is done i will post it on this thread.

Niall Fernie
27-Jun-06, 10:10
No problem.

Tugmistress
27-Jun-06, 10:27
Hope this may be of some use ....
all you need to do is add your own address, then print, sign and post!

Ref: Proposed Thurso Store.

Dear ASDA,
I am writing to hopefully encourage you to appeal the decision by Thurso Councillors in rejecting the application for planning consent for a store in Thurso, Caithness.
As a resident of the area I was not aware that letters of support would be needed at the application therefore I am writing this now.
Thurso needs your store for healthy competition and to rid the area of some of the over pricing going on up here. We are being penalised for living up in one of the most beautiful parts of the country and your store would be made most welcome.
Please consider an appeal

WE NEED YOU!

Yours Faithfully

the postal address is ...

Asda
ASDA House, Southbank, Great Wilson Street
LS11 5AD
Leeds
England

Niall Fernie
27-Jun-06, 10:44
Just passed the 300 sigs mark, (305 when I last looked) incredible!!!! only 13 hours in so far :)

Tugmistress
27-Jun-06, 10:46
I know what you mean Niall, I am gobsmacked at such a great response :D
proud to be part of this great community !

Jeid
27-Jun-06, 11:14
400 now! Not bad for 30mins!

lassieinfife
27-Jun-06, 11:20
Well at least 2 councilors admit they got it wrong ........ well done folks wish i could add my vote ... but since I'm in Fife... way to goooo:lol:

DrSzin
27-Jun-06, 11:35
Well at least 2 councilors admit they got it wrong ........ well done folks wish i could add my vote ... but since I'm in Fife... way to goooo:lol:I don't think those "signatures" are real.

I haven't voted either. The petition should be for Caithness residents, not for we exiles.

MadPict
27-Jun-06, 11:37
Online petitions are rarely taken notice of.

Niall Fernie
27-Jun-06, 11:41
I have a feeling this one will be heard though as its addressed to Asda and not the Council.

I don't think that a couple of mis-represented signatures will detract from the obvious intention of all the people who have genuinely signed. 450 currently.

Elenna
27-Jun-06, 12:05
Petition just reached 500 :). Thats been 150 signatures in just over an hour...

clash67
27-Jun-06, 12:54
If this keeps up there is no way they can ignore us, excellent. Well done everyone.:lol:

cuddlepop
27-Jun-06, 13:15
I love the way your community pulls together.If anyone can get councilors to review a decision you can.Well done:D

unicorn
27-Jun-06, 13:24
what about people without pc's who wish to sign, I know quite a few but dunno if I can just put it on my email addy as they don't have one??

jambo
27-Jun-06, 15:28
Just signed the petition and its now at 770 signatures and rising.

young_fishin_neep
27-Jun-06, 15:56
789 now cant belive it in such a short time, hopefully this will all pay off :)

kaz xx

highlander2222
27-Jun-06, 16:28
870 and still rising

MadPict
27-Jun-06, 16:33
Would appear you have some duplicate entries....

bigjjuk
27-Jun-06, 16:54
is madpict against ASDA??? he seems to be picking holes in our lovely petition???

The Pepsi Challenge
27-Jun-06, 17:18
I don't think those "signatures" are real.

I haven't voted either. The petition should be for Caithness residents, not for we exiles.

Again; agreed. The Doc speaketh the truth.

MadPict
27-Jun-06, 18:54
Not picking holes - just pointing out duplicates...

Elenna
27-Jun-06, 19:16
Petition just reached 1000 signatures. That is pretty impressive for only having run roughly 21 hours :).

SandTiger
27-Jun-06, 19:46
Maybe they were using their casting votes ;)

Tugmistress
27-Jun-06, 20:07

Thank you :)
If you spot any duplicates or obviously 'mickey take' ones, then please let me know the number and they will be deleted. If there is doubt of duplicate due to father/son same initials it seems the software on the site itself asks for verification as i have been notified of this already.

i have just got in and sat down at the comp, so let me have my tea and i will get onto the deletions that are required.

MadPict
27-Jun-06, 20:25
Sorry, no more help from me - I am evidently ANTI-ASDA-MAN......

changilass
27-Jun-06, 20:27

Think you are doing ok, you are saving Tuggs time. Duplicates and silly entries will make this null and void, so keep up the good work.:Razz

SandTiger
27-Jun-06, 20:35

Eh? No need to throw your toys out the pram mate - Tuggs post was genuinely meant as the petition can throw up the occasional duplicate and sifting through 1060 plus signings can be an a bit of a task so if you have seen any that have been missed so far then please just post the reference numbers so they can be deleted.

MadPict
27-Jun-06, 21:54
is madpict against ASDA??? he seems to be picking holes in our lovely petition???

I was referring to the above post, not Tugs post.

SandTiger
27-Jun-06, 22:13
I was referring to the above post, not Tugs post.

Then please accept my apologies for misreading your post since it was not clear to whom you were referring to - The duplicates should all be edited to show as single votes now, but equally there have been a few voting under Mr & Mrs, so as with all these things, it's swings & roundabouts (subject to planning permission, that is) :D

Kenn
27-Jun-06, 22:19
I have recently been involved in a scrap with my local city council and would advise that any petition is only seen as 1 protest.
If you really want to make a difference it is essential that you write to the relevant council department stating your objection .
Hope this will be of help to you all.

golach
27-Jun-06, 22:22
Well done Kaitness, I only wish as the other exiles that I could sign, but if I did it might look bad, keep up the good work Tuggs

MadPict
27-Jun-06, 22:23
Careful LIZZ - they'll be staking you out for the midges next....;)

SandTiger
27-Jun-06, 22:24
I have recently been involved in a scrap with my local city council and would advise that any petition is only seen as 1 protest.
If you really want to make a difference it is essential that you write to the relevant council department stating your objection .
Hope this will be of help to you all.

Hi Liz, the petition is to ASDA in support of an appeal not the local council, as such, but one would hope that the local councillors would take note none the less :)

Rose
28-Jun-06, 09:30
I just signed and it says ther was 1370 signatures im trting to get my family to sign it now to. I live in Wick and im all for Asda coming to Thurso, It would be better than having to go down south.

Mr P Cannop
28-Jun-06, 12:08
Hi Liz, the petition is to ASDA in support of an appeal not the local council, as such, but one would hope that the local councillors would take note none the less :)

a few local councillors have signed the petition

SandTiger
28-Jun-06, 12:20
a few local councillors have signed the petition

I think it's fair to say that they were spoiled entries by people pretending to be councillors and have been removed to preserve the integrity of the petition.

scotsboy
28-Jun-06, 16:07
It would be interesting to know the number of votes cast for each of these councillors, then compare it with the number of signatures/entries on the petition.

Loch not Lock
28-Jun-06, 22:34
Where is Mowat ?????????????? He must resign for not voting!!!!!!!!!
Does anyone know where the wayward councillor was on Monday ??????????

RESIGN-RESIGN-RESIGN !!!!!!!!!!

Venture
28-Jun-06, 23:02
Dont know about Mowat but Katrina MacNab was on holiday in Mexico but came back yesterday.

Fran
28-Jun-06, 23:29
what about people without pc's who wish to sign, I know quite a few but dunno if I can just put it on my email addy as they don't have one??

Maybe tugmistress could do some petitions which we could copy and put around in different places, or have a stall in market Square , wick and in thurso precint where people could sign, as done by the Maternity Action group.

willowbankbear
28-Jun-06, 23:54
1860 signatures now folks[lol]

colmac
29-Jun-06, 07:37
Hey Tugmistress...isn't the ASDA petition supposed to be for people that WANT ASDA to come to Thurso? There are a few moaning minnies from the east side of the county complaining on it about Thurso getting everything......

Tugmistress
29-Jun-06, 09:21
Hey Tugmistress...isn't the ASDA petition supposed to be for people that WANT ASDA to come to Thurso? There are a few moaning minnies from the east side of the county complaining on it about Thurso getting everything......
it is yes, BUT, i will not delete well thought out replies against as it shows opinion. what i have deleted when spotted is stupid tittle tattle and downright abusive comments. we don't need these and it is a slur on the poster themselves (though probably under a bogus name anyway). The only other deletions i am trying to keep on top of are the obvious mickey takes and false 'councillors & mp's' etc and with a few people pming me with ones they spot that i have not seen i think we are doing pretty well! :D

BTW, over 1900 Signatures, a guess at about 70 (at most) deleted and with a contrary opinion, that's pretty damn good going folks :D

clash67
29-Jun-06, 12:07
it is yes, BUT, i will not delete well thought out replies against as it shows opinion. what i have deleted when spotted is stupid tittle tattle and downright abusive comments. we don't need these and it is a slur on the poster themselves (though probably under a bogus name anyway). The only other deletions i am trying to keep on top of are the obvious mickey takes and false 'councillors & mp's' etc and with a few people pming me with ones they spot that i have not seen i think we are doing pretty well! :D

BTW, over 1900 Signatures, a guess at about 70 (at most) deleted and with a contrary opinion, that's pretty damn good going folks :D
1900 signatures! that is outstanding! well done Tugmistress for keeping on top of things.

Humerous Vegetable
30-Jun-06, 09:36
I have lived in a lot of places up and down the UK, but since I moved to Thurso, it's the 1st time I've ever lived in the 19th century. The Rotten Boroughs are alive and well and fully functioning in Caithness. Local councillors don't care how much petrol costs up here.....after all we, the Council Tax payers foot their fuel bills.

thebigman
30-Jun-06, 13:48
In the interests of fairness would it not be an idea to post a petition who do not agree with the siting of a superstore next to Pennyland Farm?

Off to see if I can find a shop selling food in Thurso, difficult I know without ADSA :-)

Tugmistress
30-Jun-06, 14:35
In the interests of fairness would it not be an idea to post a petition who do not agree with the siting of a superstore next to Pennyland Farm?

Off to see if I can find a shop selling food in Thurso, difficult I know without ADSA :-)

there is nothing stopping anyone setting up an online petition for views against ASDA. it is free to set up, it's just a headache keeping all the daft names and mickey takes out of it :roll:

Billy Boy
30-Jun-06, 19:54
2360 signatures so far keep them coming orgers we want asda, when do we want it? NOW!:lol:

Margaret M.
30-Jun-06, 22:12

Since I have a place there and pay Council taxes, I felt that entitled me to a vote. I'd like to shop at ASDA when I'm there.

JAWS
03-Jul-06, 00:56
If anybody wishes to email ASDA to give them some ammunition and encouragement to fight the ridiculous excuses used to block them coming to Caithness they can contact them via:-

http://www.asda-press.co.uk/contact

We all know the real reasons behind the decision, which have little to do with the excuses invented for the refusal, and I would think such information from individuals would give ASDA help in getting the decision overturned.

We have been here before when almost the same excuses were used in an attempt to block Tesco and Public Opinion managed to stop that piece of nonsense.
With a bit of effort the same can be done again with ASDA.
Again, itis trime for the people of Caithness to let the selfish, self-serving few that walking all over the rest of people in Caithness is at an end.

Humerous Vegetable
03-Jul-06, 10:08
Tugmistress, did you see where you got a mention in the Sunday Times yesterday, re the complaint from John Thurso? The inference that he is little more than a cartoon character on a par with Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse was exactly right.

Tugmistress
03-Jul-06, 11:21
Tugmistress, did you see where you got a mention in the Sunday Times yesterday, re the complaint from John Thurso? The inference that he is little more than a cartoon character on a par with Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse was exactly right.

No i didn't, is it online anywhere?

DrSzin
03-Jul-06, 13:40
Since I have a place there and pay Council taxes, I felt that entitled me to a vote. I'd like to shop at ASDA when I'm there.Sounds good to me.

Tugmistress, I couldn't find anything in the Sunday Times online, but there's a new article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/5140816.stm) on the BBC website.

Humerous Vegetable
03-Jul-06, 16:45
You can find it at http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,2764-2250637,00.html

DrSzin
03-Jul-06, 16:56
Thanks for that HV. I may have failed to find the Sunday Times snippet, but I did find something rather odd whilst I was searching for it:

Is this a photograph from the future (http://www.sunnyside-studio.com/gallery_page.asp?gallery=Goods%20on%20the%20move&pagename=3)? :confused

squidge
03-Jul-06, 16:58
Looks like a done deal then - who needs planning commitees;)

Tugmistress
04-Jul-06, 06:37
Thanks Dr Szin and HV :D

love the snippet and the piccy!

engiebenjy
12-Jul-06, 23:50
I emailed the four councillors who rejected the asda vote a day or two after it. I had a reply from one within twelve hours via email, one turned up on my doorstep with a copy of the local plan in his hand, and I received an email from Roger Saxon on Monday. Only one of them hasn't bothered his backside to reply. Anyway, the three that have replied have essentially said the same thing. This is what Mr Saxon sent me:

ASDA planning application – statement by Cllr Roger Saxon

My position:
I was not opposed to an ASDA store in Thurso. I believe there are better locations for ASDA and they have rushed their selection process.

The hearing
On 26th June, the Caithness planning committee held a hearings procedure on the outline planning application by ASDA for a store at Pennyland Farm. The hearings procedure was invoked because the application was contrary to the local plan and there had been objections. A hearing is different to a normal planning item in that the developer and objectors can make their case and answer questions.

This local plan, available on the council’s website says the following in respect of the area of land under consideration:

1.2 ha is allocated for a hotel. Detailed proposals should retain, respect and incorporate the listed farm house and steading in the design and layout …Associated outdoor recreational uses could be provided over adjoining land to the west to retain its open character. The council will protect and enhance major open space and amenity land in and around the town. … develop open land to the north and south of the A836 (now the A9) at Pennyland Farm as a public park in the longer term, incorporating playing fields and a pitch and putt course where possible, the siting of all ancillary buildings will be rigorously controlled to ensure that the panoramic view across this area is maintained in its entirety.

This local plan was arrived at following extensive public consultation and two local enquiries, the most recent being 2002. The reporter to the Scottish Office agreed with the council’s submission, i.e. it has the weight of government approval.

All this was stated in the planning official’s paper for the meeting.

As councillors we had a difficulty. The law says we should uphold the local plan unless material considerations indicate otherwise. The councillors code of conduct says ‘... local plans should only be set aside in a particular case if there are sound planning reasons for doing so’. And yet the planning officer had recommended approval. His reasons for doing so were that the land had been approved for commercial development (a hotel) and that no-one had come forward with a proposal since 2002. Although the application was in outline only, ASDA had submitted a layout. The planning officer had considerable concerns over the siting and orientation of the building and car park in relation to the farm and housing but considered the layout could be improved at the detailed planning stage.

So the reason for overturning the local plan, which took many hours of consultation, officials time, councillors in meetings and community consultation was that we had allowed a site for a hotel, (to be designed in keeping with the farm) no plans were forthcoming, so it’s ok to change this to something completely different. The only reason we included a hotel in the plan was because the land owner wanted to build one on the cliff-top Victoria walk.

I considered this was not a sufficient reason for overturning the local plan and my motion said we should oppose this application on those grounds.

The other two Thurso councillors agreed with me and so did the planning chairman. The vote was 4/4 and the chairman used his casting vote in favour of the status quo.

Every councillor at that meeting was in favour of an ASDA for Thurso. Four of us disagreed over the proposed siting.

ASDA claimed to have looked around Thurso for suitable sites. They are supposed to look first for a town centre site, then look at edge of centre sites and only then seek out of town sites. Here’s their list and their appraisal:

Town Centre:

Dunnets Ford garage (too small)
Coop/ Shell petrol station (too small)
Harbour (unavailable, poor access)
Sir Archibald Road south – between the river and Sir Georges Park. (too many owners, irregularly shaped and too small)
Gillock Park east of the caravan site (developing the site would require a larger site that could only go westwards and the prominent location makes it a sensitive site)
Edge of centre:
They also talked about a number of sites (unspecified) to the south of the town centre as designated within the local plan. They said these were away from the retail area and of equal status to the proposed site.

I believe these were merely set up to be knocked down and did not constitute a serious search.
This coupled with the numerous mistakes in street names in the town centre made me question how much care had been taken in compiling the ASDA retail impact report. For example, it transpired that turnover in the two main stores was determined by looking at national average for that supermarket chain.

They were asked about the Mart site and said it was not for sale.
They were told about the site next to the business park, (which is designated business/tourism) but made no mention of it in their report.

The matter has now been referred to the main planning committee under a procedure called ‘notice of review’. This means that the process will be re-run, but the only Caithness councillors who can vote will be myself, Cllrs Smith, Macdonald and Green. The matter will be heard on 16 August within a very heavy schedule of business.