PDA

View Full Version : Robertson Osbourne

sjaneo85
07-Jul-10, 10:15
Hi

I am trying to trace my great great grandparents. My great great grandfather was James Robertson born approx 1825 apparently in Caithness although I have not been able to verify this.

My great great grandmother was Margaret Osbourne. I have found a Margaret Osbourne born 1831 Caithness to Henry Osbourne and Christina Bain.

They married 1855 Wick, Caithness and the same year they emmigrated to New Zealand.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Sarah-Jane

trinkie
07-Jul-10, 11:01
Hi
1841 census Margaret b.1831 with Henry and Christina.
Henry is 'Keeper'' and Christina is 'Matron' in Wick Gaol.

1851 No Henry ( perhaps died )
Christina Matron
Margaret Assistant in home.
Wick Gaol.

Is this the right family ?
Good luck
Trinkie

sjaneo85
08-Jul-10, 08:26
Thank you so much for this. Yes I had read somewhere that Margarets father was the Govenor of Gaol but at that point I didnt know what his name was. I hadn't checked census records yet as I'm still trying to find James

trinkie
08-Jul-10, 08:56
Hi - I was wrong about Henry having died...
he appears in 1861 census Wick

Henry 60 Keeper of Prison
Christina 59
Henry
John
Thomas
Rodwick
John
Mary Anderson... down as Joiner !

Good Luck
Trinkie

trinkie
08-Jul-10, 09:04
Hi again - meant to say, you if you find out where Henry Osbourne comes from please let me know, as Osbourne is not a Caithness name. I cant find any other Osbournes in the 1841 census.
It could be interesting.

Trinkie

trinkie
08-Jul-10, 09:19
Hi again

Just found the announcement of marriage of Mgt Osbourne and James Robertson on Am Baile - newspapers
June 20 1855

It was in the John O Groat Journal and
Inverness Advertiser.

sjaneo85
08-Jul-10, 11:11
Thank you very much for this. You have given me a good head start on stuff to look into regarding this side of my family.

I'm not sure where Henry was born but I have him and Christina marrying at Cambuslang, Lanark in 1824 and their daughter Mary being born there. I havent found any birth of Henry or a birth I can confirm for Christina yet - I found a couple of Christina Bains in the Caithness area being born around the 1800 era

Sarah-Jane

Mosser
08-Jul-10, 20:46
Thank you very much for this. You have given me a good head start on stuff to look into regarding this side of my family.

I'm not sure where Henry was born but I have him and Christina marrying at Cambuslang, Lanark in 1824 and their daughter Mary being born there. I havent found any birth of Henry or a birth I can confirm for Christina yet - I found a couple of Christina Bains in the Caithness area being born around the 1800 era

Sarah-Jane
Henry Osbourne had a street in Wick, off Coach Road, named after him, Osbourne's Close. His son, also Henry was an avid naturalist and friend of Robert Innes Shearer whose work on Birds and Mammals of Caithness is still used and was re produced recently.

trinkie
08-Jul-10, 21:25
After another search I find 1851 census,
Henry Osbourne age 50 in Wick.
Keeper of jail.....he had a page all to himself, that's the trouble with
Ancestry!! They often split up families , which is so annoying.