PDA

View Full Version : Filling the gaps

bagpuss
06-Jul-10, 20:55
I've heard of one town where empty shops were offered rent free for three weeks to would be entrepreneurs to test the market for their business idea. Given that there are some gaps in the Wick main streets, would this work?

Bobinovich
06-Jul-10, 21:05
Sounds like a good idea - in fact rent and rate free (or for a nominal sum without having to sign long term contracts or contact the council) for a month or two could be a great incentive for businesses to test the water - surely better than having them lying empty.

mrlennie
06-Jul-10, 21:08
I think a takeaway would work well in wick :P

bagpuss
06-Jul-10, 23:49
Nice touch of irony there- the place that tried the 'taster' lease put emphasis on local goods and services. Say something that was working well with Made in Caithness but found they needed more sales space might get a chance to test the water,

Someone suggested using Woolies as an indoor farmer's market- but why not get the Continental Market back for a week in the run up to Christmas- and put it in there? It could pull trade down into the town centre.

Why not take the empty former Boots building that was done up and offer it to a nail technician or a Body Shop at Home sales person- that way they might know how the franchise would get on before committing to full scale business

alanatkie
06-Jul-10, 23:55
Think it would be a great idea for businesses that want to start up. Just give them that chance to test the waters, see what it would be like, even tho temporary.

Dadie
07-Jul-10, 12:18
It would be good if the shops were in any condition to be opened.
From the look of the empty shops it would take more than 3 weeks to get them ready!

Leanne
07-Jul-10, 12:27
A good idea in theory but what if they aren't owned by the council - would private owners want people altering the insides of their buildings? Also who would be liable if, for example, the building burned down - the short term freebie tennent doesn't have anything to stay for and then the 'landlord' would be left to foot the bill. Having rented out houses in the past, buildings insurance as a landlord is more expensive than buildings insurance as a home/shop owner. It would cost the building owner more to have it filled than to leave it empty - and who can afford that in this economic climate?

A while ago someone was enquiring about using one of my barns as a workshop. I agreed in principle for a nominal 'rent' but when I look into it it turns out it would have invalidated my house insurance, dog insurance and horse insurance. And to change them would have cost me more than I would have asked in rent... The barn is still sat empty - shame really as it could have been put to good use :(

Blarney
07-Jul-10, 20:54
Sounds like an excellent idea in theory but as others have said, there are a few drawbacks. What I can never understand is, when new buildings are being constructed there are multiple planning issues which have to be adhered to yet the council allow the town centre shops and many other buildings to fall into a dreadful state which reflects badly on the town. Shouldn't they be compelled to bring them up to a reasonable standard?

Duncansby
07-Jul-10, 21:07
Sounds like an excellent idea in theory but as others have said, there are a few drawbacks. What I can never understand is, when new buildings are being constructed there are multiple planning issues which have to be adhered to yet the council allow the town centre shops and many other buildings to fall into a dreadful state which reflects badly on the town. Shouldn't they be compelled to bring them up to a reasonable standard?

The council do have powers to compel owners to improve the condition of their properties through compulsory repair notices. If the owners don't comply they can also do the work and then bill the owner for it - but I imagine that would be a last course of action. Did anything come of the walk round that councillors had a while back in Wick when they looked at a number of derelict buildings?

glaikit
07-Jul-10, 23:07
The old picture house was painted a lovely shade of blue. I think that's it.[lol] On second thoughts [evil]

Duncansby
07-Jul-10, 23:20
Oh lord at's right! I think when I'm home I avoid looking at that eyesore!

DeHaviLand
08-Jul-10, 10:43
I've heard of one town where empty shops were offered rent free for three weeks to would be entrepreneurs to test the market for their business idea. Given that there are some gaps in the Wick main streets, would this work?

In todays economic climate, this is a very poor deal. I negotiated a 20% reduction in rent for my own shop, and a 6 week rent free period. Not with the council, I should add. In addition, there is 100% small business rates relief for premises with a rateable value of less than £10,000 p.a. I would imagine this would cover most of the empty retail premises around Wick, with the exception of the former woolworths site.

Phill
08-Jul-10, 12:17
What do you want to spend your money on?

What would stop you shopping at Tesco's?
Bearing in mind that we can buy pretty much anything there, reasonably cheaply and easy parking etc. etc.

What is going to get you spending cash on the high street?

A 2 or 3 month tester won't help either, you really need 6 - 9 months and ideally 12 or more as anything new tends to attract attention and then pretty much every retail outlet is affected seasonally.

Wick is suffering the same fate that any town does once it has out of town retail in the shape of a large supermarket and other national multiples in a retail park.

Leanne
08-Jul-10, 12:22
What would stop you shopping at Tesco's?
Bearing in mind that we can buy pretty much anything there, reasonably cheaply and easy parking etc. etc.

We bought a telly from Graham Begg. Our perception has always been that it was an expensive store but we found this not to be the case. The lady on the till was very helpful and when we went away to look into the prices their telly was only £50 dearer than the one online from Tesco's - but it included a 5 year warrantee and a free bluray player! We bought from GB.

Despite things being cheaper online, sometimes you just want a bit of advice from a knowledgeable person.

And one thing I have noticed is that online isn't always that much cheaper - sometimes it's actually more expensive. Tesco's online for one telly was £150 dearer than in Currys!

Invisible
08-Jul-10, 13:52
I think thats a good idea, i've always wanted somewhere to start up my elastic band model business.