PDA

View Full Version : puppy sales?

dragonfly
06-Jul-10, 09:38
I was just wondering with all the puppy sales that are on the Org just now - do the breeders do any vetting of the potential owners or is it a case of whoever gets in touch and has the readies to hand?

Reason for asking is I can't help but wonder how many of these puppies will soon be up for rehoming due to "personal reasons". I do hope that there is vetting taking place to ensure that the puppies are going to suitable homes where they will stay for their lifetime

I'll back off into my corner now and duck down ;)

unicorn
06-Jul-10, 10:24
I think that is a very sensible and responsible question.
I have lost count of the amount of people I have turned down over the years for animals and thats just small animals. I do tend to do it in as pleasant a way as possible but a no means no.

Dadie
06-Jul-10, 10:24
I was wondering the same thing....
But not only with puppies, any animal.
There is a big difference between wanting an animal and knowing how to care for it....
Getting a pet is the least costly bit!
It takes time and money and commitment to look after one.

unicorn
06-Jul-10, 10:26
The other thing that annoys me is people who try to haggle about prices etc.
If you can't afford to buy something at the stated price then how on earth can you afford the upkeep of the animal.

mums angels
06-Jul-10, 11:05
I went to see a set of puppies and the woman in question wanted to make sure that someone was at home full time to look after the pups and she wanted to see the kids with the pups etc and spoke with me for a good hour to see what we were like etc . I know some like to do house visits etc we havnt decided to get one for sure yet as its a big responsibility and i want to know that we can give one a very good home before i take one on .
As for hagling its often not that you cant afford to but its a case of every penny helps and most people do up the price so that they allow for hagglers . I haggled about the price and got £50 off and the way i see it that £50 will be to go towards buying the pup all the "extras" id like to get it if we decide we can give the pup the best home we can .

balto
06-Jul-10, 11:54
i got on of s&lhen's puppies the other week, we took 2 of the kids out to see all the puppies , i also got £50 of the price but not becaue i asked but because s&lhen was kind enough, but the £50 is going on marley today as he goes for his 1st set of injections.

egregory
06-Jul-10, 15:01
We have just had a litter of Chocolate Labradors and I think it is my responsibility to ensure as much as is possible that they ONLY go to good homes and I will definatley being vetting any potential buyers.

kitty
06-Jul-10, 15:43
When we had our puppies i was lucky enough to know all the people who were homing them so no vetting required really but still one of them has been rehomed since due to the owners moving abroad.

Me myself.... well i used to have 3 dogs and only have 2 now. I'd had the other dog for about 4 years but unfortunately when i went back to work full time he just couldn't cope with it whilst the other 2 settled into it fine. I hated having to rehome him and thought that after having him for so many years i would never have to rehome any of them but at the end of the day it was the right decision for him as he now has acres of land to run around in during the day.....

Sadly most of the time animals are rehomed because people haven't considered the situation carefully enough before they commit but other times i think it is unavoidable and i do think that potential owners should be vetted before they can get a pup

ShelleyCowie
06-Jul-10, 16:09
Im hopeful in thinking most puppy sellers are smart enough to follow normal procedures before homing a pup and also ensuring they are going to a secure and loving home.

As some others have said, this should be procedure for any animal. There are people who take an animal to give them a home and for genuine reasons can not keep them. Thats fine, things happen. I had to give up Brenon and it broke my heart. It still does, but i keep in contact with who has him now and he is spoilt rotten :)

I said to my OH i will not take any other animals into my home because i can not give them the attention they need. 1 cat is enough for us for just now. Fintan is like a child anyways.

dragonfly
06-Jul-10, 16:27
thanks for replies, I know there are various reasons for rehoming and this will always happen, I was just trying to guage how responsible breeders are in general and so far those that have replied or those replying on behalf of their breeder seem to be.

It just sparked as I saw an advert yesterday for puppies for sale and today another saying all sold - seemed exceptionally quick turnaround

S&LHEN
06-Jul-10, 16:32
Im afraid to say that vetting a house doesnt give any guarentees talking from past experience :(
You go to the other house and everything is fantastic everything is how you would expect, Its the same as if you have a baby and a health visitor goes in.
The sad thing is no one really knows what goes on behind closed doors, You have just got to pray and I think a lot of times you need to go on your instincts.
When I sold mine I printed off my own sheet and kept stating to people any problems just phone or if you need to know something please phone.
I also told each when injections should be given and also when they needed wormed again.
I did the same for my baby rabbits so when i saw 2 on here being given away after a few months i was first to take them in as one thing I dont like is animals with no homes, When I saw the amount of rabbits that were being given up for free and dumped at side of roads I stopped breeding them completely.
In life there is no guarentees everyones cirumstances change and in some cases it is kinder to rehome animals if you cant give them 100%
But i do not agree with people dumping them and leaving them to starve and suffer.[evil]

S&LHEN
06-Jul-10, 16:43
Think your implying to mine but without you knowing the full story and about the people they have gone to your not going to understand and I cant go into that as they are private unless like Balto they dont mind being mentioned.I had also written on my final post a big thank you to all who enquired but all puppies have gone to kind loving homes and another thing i did was when I closed the post I wrote thank you to the moderators for allowing me to be able to find the loving homes.
If it had been down to money and not love im pretty sure I would have gone through the boxes and found the paper work which somehow enables me to add an extra £200 onto the price... but i didnt, but I promised each that when I do they can all have a copy for there own refrence.
I have no need to defend myself but I thought as its public intrest and yous do care about animals like me, I would spend the time and explain.
xx

thanks for replies, I know there are various reasons for rehoming and this will always happen, I was just trying to guage how responsible breeders are in general and so far those that have replied or those replying on behalf of their breeder seem to be.

It just sparked as I saw an advert yesterday for puppies for sale and today another saying all sold - seemed exceptionally quick turnaround

unicorn
06-Jul-10, 17:20
i thought it was another litter actually and am not surprised how quick they went as it is an exceptionally sought after breed and hard to get hold of. They were also at a very reasonable price for the breed.

dragonfly
06-Jul-10, 17:52
Think your implying to mine but without you knowing the full story and about the people they have gone to your not going to understand and I cant go into that as they are private unless like Balto they dont mind being mentioned.I had also written on my final post a big thank you to all who enquired but all puppies have gone to kind loving homes and another thing i did was when I closed the post I wrote thank you to the moderators for allowing me to be able to find the loving homes.
If it had been down to money and not love im pretty sure I would have gone through the boxes and found the paper work which somehow enables me to add an extra £200 onto the price... but i didnt, but I promised each that when I do they can all have a copy for there own refrence.
I have no need to defend myself but I thought as its public intrest and yous do care about animals like me, I would spend the time and explain.
xx

hi sent you a pm, no it wasn't you I was I was thinking about but thanks for explaining what you did and no you don't have to defend yourself, nor does any other breeder, it was just a question I asked myself and wondered what the answers would be x

dragonfly
06-Jul-10, 17:56
i thought it was another litter actually and am not surprised how quick they went as it is an exceptionally sought after breed and hard to get hold of. They were also at a very reasonable price for the breed.

thanks unicorn maybe that explains quick turnaround, personally i wouldn't thank you for one! way too small!

mop top
06-Jul-10, 18:50
Sadly in my experience it is not the pedigree planned litters that end up on the streets as strays but the unplanned or not properly thought out litters that seem to fare worst.

Most pedigree dogs have a designated breed rescue that will normally help to rehome, but its the lurchers, staffy crosses etc that have the worst deal.

There are a few families in Caithness that breed numerous litters of these such dogs every year and sell the pups to highly unsuitable owners for maybe £30 a pup i have even heard of puppies being won in card games[evil]

Then sadly once the novelty has worn of a few weeks later as the puppy is Peeing in the house cos they havent put the time into toilet training then it is turfed out and then picked up by myself.

I wish there was some sort of dog license that was a minimal amount say £20 a year if your dog was neutered but if you chose not to do this then you had to have a breeders license costing about £1000! Dont know if this would work or not but something needs to be done these poor puppies dont ask to be born.

Liz
06-Jul-10, 19:08
Very interesting thread.

I completely agree with you Moptop as,in the majority of cases,breeders do this because they love dogs and the breed.Also, people who pay more for a pedigree tend to have thought about it and done research into the type of breed etc.

It is the type of 'breeder' which you describe so well which are the problem as their only motivation is how much money they can make and they couldn't care less what kind of home they go to.[evil]

Your suggestion is a brilliant idea and not sure why something isn't done t promote more responsible dog ownership.

Sadly, though this isn't just restricted to dogs as many kittens are born just because owners couldn't be bothered, or won't pay, to have their cats neutered.
Then a lot of them are rehomed to unsuitable homes just to 'get rid of them'!
The same applies to other pet animals as well.

Very, very sad and then people like yourself and other welfare societies have to deal with the aftermath and find these poor animals the homes they deserve.

t
06-Jul-10, 19:25
Well I bought one of S&LHEN pups, now called Kizzy came close to Marley!!!

Anyway I have always have had dogs and up to now always rescue dogs, still have one now Scooby.

I normally take in older dogs and never put them back due to personal reasons fed up with them etc.

S&LHEN asked me all the right questions, yes i could have told blatant lies but if she was not happy with my responses/reaction i suspect I would have not been given the dog.

The question is how far do you go, as i said I have had multiple rescue dogs from SSPCA not once had a home check/visit, and my dogs have always been looked after.

Perfect example if my dog scooby she had eye problems and had to get her eyes taken out, a lot of people expected me to put her down due to the cost etc. but she is a happy dog with no problems at all.

The other thing is some re-homing centers are looking for references from your local police etc. this is taking it a bit far especially when you are having trouble getting references when you do not know any of them (Is this not a good thing that they do not know you?).

One final thing the rescue centers charges/donations are getting quite large and charging more for pure breeds, is this not putting off potential rescue owners it did me that is why I just paid for what I wanted instead of re homing a older dog as I normally would, yes i know its a donation however I am sure they are paying a lot more keeping it to find another owner and turning away other dogs that may get put down because of lack of space.

Rictina
06-Jul-10, 19:40
This is a very intresting thread.

What annoys me personally are breeders who dont do all the necessary health checks on the bitch & stud dog prior to breeding. For example with german shepherd dogs its imperative to do hip & elbow scoring plus hemaphilia testing as the basics. The blood lines should also be taken into the equation, as this plays a very important role. I would never buy a pup without checking all this out.

dragonfly
06-Jul-10, 19:54
Perfect example if my dog scooby she had eye problems and had to get her eyes taken out, a lot of people expected me to put her down due to the cost etc. but she is a happy dog with no problems at all.

Scooby is marvellous, coping without her sight - I wonder if Kizzy will be a guide dog for her? :Razz

aurora32
06-Jul-10, 20:07
Sadly in my experience it is not the pedigree planned litters that end up on the streets as strays but the unplanned or not properly thought out litters that seem to fare worst.

Most pedigree dogs have a designated breed rescue that will normally help to rehome, but its the lurchers, staffy crosses etc that have the worst deal.

There are a few families in Caithness that breed numerous litters of these such dogs every year and sell the pups to highly unsuitable owners for maybe £30 a pup i have even heard of puppies being won in card games[evil]

Then sadly once the novelty has worn of a few weeks later as the puppy is Peeing in the house cos they havent put the time into toilet training then it is turfed out and then picked up by myself.

I wish there was some sort of dog license that was a minimal amount say £20 a year if your dog was neutered but if you chose not to do this then you had to have a breeders license costing about £1000! Dont know if this would work or not but something needs to be done these poor puppies dont ask to be born.

Whole heartledly agree with Mop top it was something we were saying a few weeks ago, that breeders should be registered and pay a breeders license fee if they want to breed and everyone else pay a nominal amount towards a license if the dog is doctored.
If there was some sort of register combined with the above making the people who dump their dogs/puppies more accountable for their actions and potentially banned from keeping them then these poor dogs and puppies wouldnt needlessly be thrown from pillar to post by these ignorant few that think dogs are toys and accessories.

S&LHEN
06-Jul-10, 20:15
Thank you for your message Dragon fly it was so kind of you to take the time and message me, I thought it was me as last night I put a thank you to everyone on and also to moderators.
Thank you to all that have pups from me and commented its appreciated.tonigt i got some photos of one of the pups and i was over the moon the pup has a brand new bed a lead and looks just beautiful :D Its been very sad letting them go but when i hear how happy they have made people it makes it all worth while. I dont regret not one of the people the pups went to live with.
Every one of the people showed how kind and caring they were and I know in return the pups will bring them great joy and be an excellent companion to each,like there mum is to me.
Shes been a bit lost since they went so weve been doing lots of walking and shes been treated with a new collar just hope she doesnt manage to chew this one off shes done me so proud now shes needing lots of pampering shes done her hard work!!
Thanks again to all and thanks Unicorn and Dragonfly I appreciate it xx

Dadie
06-Jul-10, 20:32
Its the pocket money affordable pets that get bought on a whim that are all too often put up for rehoming because the kids got bored of it that really annoy me...lets face it if you as the parent, are not going to look after it, no one else will, so dont get it!
Plus if you actually read into the animal you are wanting it may not suit.
Hamsters are nocturnal.. and cages are quite expensive to get a good one!
Goldfish are often an easy target for neglect (resulting in sudden death)and need more than a bowl of water!They can live for more than 18 years if looked after!
Rats are actually a good pet for kids but need big cages.

teenybash
06-Jul-10, 20:35
Whole heartledly agree with Mop top it was something we were saying a few weeks ago, that breeders should be registered and pay a breeders license fee if they want to breed and everyone else pay a nominal amount towards a license if the dog is doctored.
If there was some sort of register combined with the above making the people who dump their dogs/puppies more accountable for their actions and potentially banned from keeping them then these poor dogs and puppies wouldnt needlessly be thrown from pillar to post by these ignorant few that think dogs are toys and accessories.

You are absolutely right that there should be a difference between an companion dog and a dog used for breeding, both should require a licence. Adding to that there should be a difference in the licence fee for a 'complete' dog as opposed to the spayed or neutered.
The charge for an intact dog as opposed to being neutered/spayed should be kept realistic and concessions for OAP's.
In years past the dog licence was purchased from the post office and there is no real reason why a similar system could not be brought in again.

donnick
06-Jul-10, 20:41
when we bought our dog we had to visit the lass who was selling them 3 time to show our commitment to buying and get him used to us (as we visited more than 3 times )and then when we got him she provided bedding milk and food that he was used to smells ,taste ,also when he was due to get wormed and his jabs .we also took him to vet 4 a check up when we got him home to make sure all was well .As he and his son are now part of our family (along with the rest of the animals ).She also kept in touch for years and sadly when she lost his brother her mum called us to see if we still had this line of breeding ,so some breeder are very caring about who there puppies go out to .

S&LHEN
06-Jul-10, 20:42
true but what about the kittens and baby rabbits etc etc that get abandoned there should be a safty net for them too.
im not sure how it could work but im sure theres a way. I think if pets are neutered the owners should have nothing to pay, that would be more of an incentive to get them spayed etc,,:confused

aurora32
06-Jul-10, 21:02
true but what about the kittens and baby rabbits etc etc that get abandoned there should be a safty net for them too.
im not sure how it could work but im sure theres a way. I think if pets are neutered the owners should have nothing to pay, that would be more of an incentive to get them spayed etc,,:confused

Totally agree that all animals should be safeguarded, as some people feel that because they havnt got a voice to say no that its perfectly ok to use them and abuse them in whatever way they choose fit. If there were more things in place and less red tape to proscecute these certain few, animals may have a happier way of going on. Until then im afraid we will continue to need people like Mop Top and animal rescue centres and all of you animal conscious people to help those that do suffer. :)

aurora32
06-Jul-10, 21:09
You are absolutely right that there should be a difference between an companion dog and a dog used for breeding, both should require a licence. Adding to that there should be a difference in the licence fee for a 'complete' dog as opposed to the spayed or neutered.
The charge for an intact dog as opposed to being neutered/spayed should be kept realistic and concessions for OAP's.
In years past the dog licence was purchased from the post office and there is no real reason why a similar system could not be brought in again.

If it was brought back in then the Dog wardens could use that money primarily to keep doing as they do now and then be subsidised by the council, be self sufficient so to speak have more scope to do more good, rather than relying on a limited budget.

margaret
10-Jul-10, 21:13
Hi dragonfly, my dog had puppies in march(3 boys) and i gave my friend one for free as i knew it was going to a good home and i kept the other two.A lot of people have been asking me to sell them to them but ive refused as i love my dogs and i would'nt trust strangers with them.A lot of people sell them for money and thats up to them,but im very picky and an animal lover,so i will never part with mine.You are very right in what you say.People see pound signs only and dont care about the welfare of their puppies.