PDA

View Full Version : Backer to Close

Tosh
05-Jul-10, 22:16
Here the backer will close its doors in two weeks, cant pay their staff, another establishment closes its doors in the town, who next????

bagpuss
05-Jul-10, 22:27
Back Bridge Street and the other clubs all arose from the period of time when Wick was a dry town- the clubs were a means of ensuring there would always be a 'free space' for all those men desperate to get away from their wives.

But these days a night out isn't going to involve a lock in in a stag bar- and the clubs gave way too little too late. My dad and his friends hid in there, playing cards and games and avoiding doing their gardens, or keeping their wives and families company.

These days no-one goes out much in Wick if they're over 18- so sic transit gloria mundi. RIP backer

mrlennie
05-Jul-10, 22:55
anyone know where the nearest place for snooker is now then?

bagpuss
05-Jul-10, 23:06
How many of the other clubs remain open?

guitarzan
06-Jul-10, 08:03
anyone know where the nearest place for snooker is now then?

Not been in for a while, but the Seaforth certainly used to have a snooker table. I'd imagine it'll still be there.

As for how many clubs in Wick remain open, off the top of my head there would be the Francis St Club and the Seaforth...

WICKER10
06-Jul-10, 10:38
How was the club allowed to get into this state of affairs i ask.
The Commitee i believe have alot of questions to Answer
I am told that there is Stock of 10 Thousands pounds going to be sold by a commitee member for Half price surely this cannnot be correct.
In any Bussiness that is in problems the object is to sell the stock at the best price to Reduced Debts.
What will happen to all who have Paid membership if the club is sold and all accounts paid do we all get a share of what is left over?

AndrewR94
06-Jul-10, 19:40
Is it definitely closing in 2 weeks? I happen to be part of a band meant to play their on bonfire night, which is over 3 weeks away, not good news for us if that is the case haha

Bazeye
06-Jul-10, 20:36
Is it definitely closing in 2 weeks? I happen to be part of a band meant to play their on bonfire night, which is over 3 weeks away, not good news for us if that is the case haha

Whens bonfire night in Wick?

Geo
06-Jul-10, 21:04
I am told that there is Stock of 10 Thousands pounds going to be sold by a commitee member for Half price surely this cannnot be correct.

Stock from failed businesses is routinely sold off for a fraction of its purchase price. In such circumstances the buyer is taking on an element of risk with no comeback, which the price reflects.

dirdyweeker
06-Jul-10, 23:40
Bonfire night is the 31st July

Kevin Milkins
07-Jul-10, 05:29
It's always a shame to see a facility that has been part of the community for many years come to an end.:confused

As for selling off the stock cheap, surely it would benefit the creditors and the paid up members to have one long "happy hour" until the stock runs out, at least that way the members that technically own the stock will get the benefit of being a member for one last time.:Razz, Hick.

bagpuss
12-Jul-10, 22:50
Why not change use of the backer?

it would make a convenient day centre to supplement Laurandy- or alternatively why not donate the snooker table and someof the games stuff to Laurandy?

Make a positive out of a negative