PDA

View Full Version : new lawn full of nettles!

annemarie482
05-Jul-10, 10:51
my newly sown lawn is full of nettles!
is there a way to remove them without killing the grass or digging out every individual nettle? (theres thousands!!)

Dadie
05-Jul-10, 10:57
Could try spraying each one with roundup as it kills the roots as well as the part you see!

Leanne
05-Jul-10, 11:04
I've used Dockstar on my fields and it kills docks, nettles, buttercups, thistles, clover - basically any flat leaf weed. It's quite expensive at £85 per 3 litre bottle (does 2 and a half acres) but I have an opened bottle and you could have some in exchange for a bottle of wine if you like ;) It is really effective!

Oh you have to keep livestock/pets off for 2 weeks afterwards though...

annemarie482
05-Jul-10, 11:15
I've used Dockstar on my fields and it kills docks, nettles, buttercups, thistles, clover - basically any flat leaf weed. It's quite expensive at £85 per 3 litre bottle (does 2 and a half acres) but I have an opened bottle and you could have some in exchange for a bottle of wine if you like ;) It is really effective!

Oh you have to keep livestock/pets off for 2 weeks afterwards though...

sounds just the thing, dont know what i'll do with the dog though.....
will get rid of the neeps that are showing up all over the lawn too! blooming dormant seeds lol

Scarybiscuits03
05-Jul-10, 18:22
You could try weed and feed, it kills off everything apart from the grass and leaves a lovely lawn

david
05-Jul-10, 19:28
my newly sown lawn is full of nettles!
is there a way to remove them without killing the grass or digging out every individual nettle? (theres thousands!!)

Back end is the best time to sow a new lawn, however if you just keep mowing this should in time keep your nettles at bay. Hope this is of help

skimeister
06-Jul-10, 12:25
Hi,

Our neighbour recommeded Agritox from CLB in Thurso but this had been discontinued with its replacement called Spear. It basically kills anything that is broad leafed and leaves the grass to flourish. Be careful though not to use it on windy days or the rest of the garen will catch the spray.
You only need a small amount diluted as per instructions. It is great stuff and kills off weeds, nettles and docks in 2 weeks with possible respray twice a year.

Hope this helps