PDA

View Full Version : Cash Machine Error

jojam76
25-Jun-06, 12:08
Hello All

I am wondering if any of you can help or have had a similar thing happen to yourselves.

Between the 10th and the 15th of June my bank card was used to withdraw amounts of money from the Clysedale bank cash machine in Thurso. The amounts that I withdrew were of £40, £30 and £20, obviously on differing days. However now that I have received my bank statement the amounts have come through as being plus £100 of that amount. Ie. £140, £130, £120.

Has anyone else had an error of this kind at the cash point??? Anyone else had a bank error like this?? You know what bank's are like.....they never make a mistake!! And I keep a close eye on the money that goes both in and out of the bank.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

JoJam

Ann
25-Jun-06, 12:59
Most banks have cameras which shows customers using the autoteller. Ask the bank to check theirs and you may see if the cash looks like £30 or £130.

Venture
25-Jun-06, 13:24
Didnt you get a receipt for your money when you took it out

landmarker
25-Jun-06, 14:13
Ventures question is a good one. I always get a receipt. I have oft wondered how I would stand if this happened to me. Please let us know the banks reaction. If you are a long standing customer with a good record of being in credit I'm hoping they will be sympathetic and in essence 'believe ' you. That's what it comes down to in the end I suppose. Unless the technology leaves a trail which might be error detectable. I dunno.

Fran
25-Jun-06, 14:22
Two bank cashiers fill up the machine daily and also check the remaining cash the next day, so surely they will check monies out etc and realise that mistakes have been made.

Naefearjustbeer
25-Jun-06, 15:07
I would think that the running totals of cash in the machine will match up to how much it has given out. If adds up then it will prove you didnt get £100 extra. Give them a chance to sort it out If you are not happy with them vote with your feet and close your accounts and take your business elsewhere.

Bingobabe
25-Jun-06, 17:25
Dont speak to me about banks. About two years ago i took a loan of £2500 and i payed of this loan back just recentley thinking that i had already payed big amount. I went in and asked the total i had to pay to clear the loan and the bank teller responed £2450 pound exactly i nearly fainted!! But i payed it and left. About 2 weeks later i recieved a letter stating the bank had miscaulated and owed me money!! I telephoned the bank and by there records i had never had a loan and have had no word since!!:mad:

Nello
25-Jun-06, 19:56
Contact the Banking Ombudsman if the bank insist there are no errors on thier side. I had a similiar incident a few years back and the Ombudsman were extremely helpful, indeed after their involvement the Bank in question suddenly said I was indeed correct.

The Pepsi Challenge
26-Jun-06, 00:46
Banks are Evil's counting rooms. The mere mention of the word paralyses me with rage.

rockchick
26-Jun-06, 02:53
In Canada you can deposit money by cash machine, by telling the machine how much you're going to deposit, it spits out a wee chit of paper which you put, with your cash or cheque, inside an envelope, seal it, and put it in a slot in the machine.

Back when I was only a wee pebble, I put my entire month's savings into an envelope with the chit, dutifully fed it into the machine and didn't think anything of it until the next time I went to use the ATM and it took away my card and told me to contact my branch. I phoned the bank, but they wouldn't speak to me over the phone, insisting I had to go myself to the bank. I had to take time off work to do this, but down I went, only to be told that I had deposited an empty envelope, my account was frozen and I was being accused of fraud!

To say I was gobsmacked was an understatement! Luckily I'd had a friend with me when I made the deposit who was able to state that I'd put money in, but still the bank insisted that they were in the right. This went on for a month, when in desperation I wrote a letter directly to the CEO of the bank which finally got a positive reaction. I got a very apologetic phone call, my account was reinstated and a wee bonus was put in to cover me for my troubles. I guess they were worried I was going to sue (which I probably should have done!)

I did take great pleasure in closing my account the next week and switched banks!

katrina
26-Jun-06, 18:41
The cash machine does get checked but you still have to go in as it is almost impossible to check a tally roll for a week, could you imagine how many transactions there are on one but if you give them the date and even roughly the time it would make it easier and quicker to get your money back.