PDA

View Full Version : To dye or not to dye - that is the question?

Blarney
03-Jul-10, 22:52
What do you reckon to men of a certain age dyeing their hair? Is it ever acceptable or does it single them out for ridicule? If it's ok for women to cover up the grey why is there a stigma attached to men dyeing?

mummieslilgirl
03-Jul-10, 22:55
I personally don't think there is any difference as long as either sex stay away from the dodgy pink rinses (pmsl when I see them) that I have seen older people get stick to colours that suit and I don't think there is any issue with it I agree why should it be ok for women and not men :D

Dadie
03-Jul-10, 22:58
Its ok!
My sisters oh used to dye his hair regulary to hide the grey ... but he started to go grey before he was 21!
He stopped after he had a really bad reaction to the dye though!
So my advice would be get it done proffessionally .. so it doesnt look annatural and get a patch test done first.. to check you are not allergic to the dyes!
And dont do a matt black as it looks like a bad wig!
Chest hair poking out your top in grey will give the game away though!

Metalattakk
03-Jul-10, 23:17
I'm fortunate enough to be in a position whereby dyeing my hair is an option.

It's an option I will never agree to, though. I quite like the grey bits. In fact, I want more.

Should I dye my hair grey?

brandy
03-Jul-10, 23:40
i think a lot more men dye their hair than adimit to it.. *G* im getting mine colored again in a couple weeks.. its a great thing! *G* but i am a girl.. my 7 year old son was grumping that he was the only one in the family now with brown hair.. since i dyed mine ginger.. he said it wasnt fair that we were all ginger and he wasnt!

Dadie
03-Jul-10, 23:48
*sigh*
I need my hair done.
But I only trust 2 haidressers in Thurso to do it!
And will need someone to watch 3 kids so it wont happen anytime soon...
Brandy might keep one or 2 kids if I let her babysit:lol:

wifie
04-Jul-10, 00:24
What do you reckon to men of a certain age dyeing their hair? Is it ever acceptable or does it single them out for ridicule? If it's ok for women to cover up the grey why is there a stigma attached to men dyeing?

Do hairdressers do meerkats? I think yer a lovely colour from yer pic anyhow! ;)

sweetpea
04-Jul-10, 00:57
For me it's a no no. I like the distinguished look. Plus when you see men that were grey then their heed is black:eek:

dafi
04-Jul-10, 01:42
Iwas thinking about giving the old grecian 2000 a go but i have left it a bit late as im almost totaly grey, If i was to start getting darker again i reckon i would get a right ribbing!!

I dont know about dying it though sounds like a lot of expence to keep up, plus i would need to shave every day and couldnt be arsed with all that......na none of that for me ......come to think of it, it was dying and bleaching my hair in my punk rock days that lead to my first grey hairs.

I dont know if theres a lesson there.......but im a slow learner!!

Nacho
04-Jul-10, 02:14

so long as you remember to dye your pubes as they continue to grow and grey ... otherwise you'll end up with the Darling/badger look

muffs and cuffs as they say.

either go grey disgracefully (which i am doing), shave yer neep, or dye yer neep and vegetables at the same time.

*pubic hair takes about 10 years to get to the same greyness as yer neep*

Aaldtimer
04-Jul-10, 03:17
Personally, I'm just glad to still have hair!;)

riggerboy
04-Jul-10, 08:09
i have a load o gray, and i`m wanting to go and get a purple rinse, but mrs rigger says no f way is that happening, i did dye it once for a bit o fun never again, in the words o ma mate

here hev ye seen e shape o the heid on at lol

cheers mate knew i could count on you, right in the middle o the pub to

annemarie482
04-Jul-10, 10:19
i think if you start doing it when the first grey hairs appear then maybe you could pull it off unkown (getting it done at a hairdressers though!)
but if you leave it until your greying is noticable, people already know your going grey therefore its more likely to be noticed when you dye your hair.
to avoid possible ridicule start it when the first signs come.

NickInTheNorth
04-Jul-10, 11:35
I'm just considering a really bright green - mid life crisis at 48 :)

Bazeye
04-Jul-10, 14:13
I had quite long hair until last week when i went for a haircut and on a whim asked him to shave it all off. Only problem is my face is quite tanned but the top of my head isnt. Incidentally, I found my first grey pube last week, it was in a pizza I ordered.

Mrs Bucket
04-Jul-10, 15:21
Dye your hair if you want to any colour you fancy. nothing ventured nothing gained.

Margaret M.
04-Jul-10, 15:44

I think the grey hair looks a lot better. I've seen a few men with dye jobs that made their hair look like a bad wig.

Blarney
04-Jul-10, 23:26
I think the grey hair looks a lot better. I've seen a few men with dye jobs that made their hair look like a bad wig.
Not asking for myself of course, just making a few enquiries for an afflicted friend but I'll pass on your comments;)

I know of a few with the said bad wig ................bad look!!