PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed for my cat please.

katrina
03-Jul-10, 21:33
I have a 3 year old neautered tom cat who has been an indoor cat all his life, mainly due to living beside neighbours with quite wild dogs. Anyway we have moved somewhere quieter and i am thinking of letting him out.

Has nayone got any advice on this, i obviously dont want to loose him. I have been letting him out in the garden each day whilst im there and he seems quite happy sniffing around. But when should i just leave him and how will i know he will come back??

Any helpfull advice welcome:D

Dadie
03-Jul-10, 21:56
If he is happy sniffing around and getting on ok try letting him out for longer (hungry) and calling him in for dinner.

teenybash
03-Jul-10, 22:51
Have a go at letting him out before you feed him, while he is having a sniff in the garden, close the door for a minute. Open and rattle his food packet or tin and call him in to eat.....do this for a little while so that he associates the sound of his food with home.....just encase he goes for a wander.
You could also sprinkle some of his used litter around the garden as it will help him bond with his territory.....time and getting to know his new home should take care of the rest. Good luck:)

daisychain
03-Jul-10, 23:02
It might be a good idea to get him microchipped just in case!

horselover
03-Jul-10, 23:20
hiya if i was u i wouldnt lit him out as we are in a quite place but 3 of our cats got ran over:(

Sarah
04-Jul-10, 21:56
I've done the same as you, and have 2 very happy cats now, they love going out, but never go far, they always tend to stick to the garden or the field.

Just take it slowly, take him out on a harness if possible, and make sure when he goes out by himself for the first few months that he is hungry. He will be more inclined to come home!