PDA

View Full Version : pressured area status?

eminia
03-Jul-10, 12:24
I was reading about this today and hope the pressured area will be lifted. It is so expensive to buy your first home when you dont have deposits. How do others feel?

Sara Jevo
03-Jul-10, 12:28
what's pressured area status?

NickInTheNorth
03-Jul-10, 13:19
I just wish that the "right to buy" council houses had never existed - a shameful bit of political manipulation by the tories in the 80's.

Pressured area status is a way of retaining some of the scant social housing in areas in which it is in a shamefully short supply.

To be honest I don't see why you bring the difficulty in raising a deposit in the same thread as discussing pressured area status. The larger the supply of social housing the easier it is for individuals to get a secure roof over their head. Whilst living in social housing the person that wishes to save for a deposit have the opportunity to do so.

If that individual then buys the house they are living in that is one less for people in the same position in the future.

A far better idea is the shared ownership schemes where the individual gets a mortgage for part of the cost of a house and pays rent on the remainder, changing the balance to more mortgage and les ent as finance allows until such time that the whole property is owned.

dozy
03-Jul-10, 19:00
I just wish that the "right to buy" council houses had never existed - a shameful bit of political manipulation by the tories in the 80's.

Pressured area status is a way of retaining some of the scant social housing in areas in which it is in a shamefully short supply.

To be honest I don't see why you bring the difficulty in raising a deposit in the same thread as discussing pressured area status. The larger the supply of social housing the easier it is for individuals to get a secure roof over their head. Whilst living in social housing the person that wishes to save for a deposit have the opportunity to do so.

If that individual then buys the house they are living in that is one less for people in the same position in the future.

A far better idea is the shared ownership schemes where the individual gets a mortgage for part of the cost of a house and pays rent on the remainder, changing the balance to more mortgage and les ent as finance allows until such time that the whole property is owned.

What a load of Bull .The Right to Buy was the way the Conservatives got rid of Social Housing that was to cost billions to upgrade or repair. It also gave the banks a shipload of customers that could and would be exploited and lesson the grip that Labour Councils had at the time. It was a bribe that played on a dream that lower income families have, to PURCHASE their own HOME.Billions were borrowed to ungrade these homes. The answer is in the question "RIGHT TO BUY" and no one should have the right to change it.
I do believe that they should have only made it available to tenants with over ten years in a property of a RSL .
The Right to buy has pumped vast amounts of money into the local economy and jobs have been made or saved .So i vote to KEEP the Right to Buy ...
As for Shared Equity ,well thats just another con to get mainly Private Housing developments through planning .It still keeps these private areas free from the rental brigade and lowering the tone ..Just wake up and try to view things from as many sides as possible, or do it the easy way just chase the MONEY...Vote No to PAS ..

bagpuss
04-Jul-10, 23:52
Given that nothing has been moving in th Wicka rea- everytime I come north to visit I see no 'sold' boards- only more and more coming on the market, I suspect the house prices of many properties will be coming down to ex local authority prices

ducati
05-Jul-10, 08:56
I'd like to know why I have worked all my life and paid a mortgage and subsidised housing for people who often earn more than me :confused

Just a mug I guess. :Razz

Sara Jevo
05-Jul-10, 09:19
I dont mean to sound cheeky, but it was lending huge sums of money to people without deposits that started the global meltdown in the financial world.

Some people want to rent, some people want to buy.

Why should the stock of rented property be diminished in order to increase home ownership?

There is a big waiting list for rented homes in Thurso. That designation is intended to protect the stock of housing for those who want to rent, or are unable to buy.

If you want to buy a house, there are plenty on the market.