PDA

View Full Version : your first long journey?

young_fishin_neep
02-Jul-10, 20:14
Okay so i passed my driving test back in april furthest i have driven is fife, now i have a trip down to Beverly (north humberside) on my hands, im looking forward to it but slightly dreding it too.

how did you all cope with your first big trip on your own? and was it a good experience? :D

kazzii xxx

ducati
02-Jul-10, 20:26
Great experience. I love long car drives (and M/bike rides, although yer bum gets sore :eek:). Stop every two hours for a wee break and enjoy the scenery.

Make sure before you to go, check all the oil and water etc and make sure the car is clean :cool: and AA/RAC is upto date. :lol:

brandy
02-Jul-10, 20:27
*grins* not my first long trip by a long slide.. but in a few weeks.. we will be putting about 3000 miles on the car driving the whole of the UK

young_fishin_neep
02-Jul-10, 20:41
Great experience.

Make sure before you to go, check all the oil and water etc and make sure the car is clean :cool: and AA/RAC is upto date. :lol:

oil and water check is done as is tyre pressure.. as for the car being clean, it is gettin valeted tomorow morning before departure :D
xx

ducati
02-Jul-10, 20:59
Ah you have the right stuff [lol].

Beverly is a great town and lovely area. Enjoy.

Kodiak
02-Jul-10, 21:06
Okay so i passed my driving test back in april furthest i have driven is fife, now i have a trip down to Beverly (north humberside) on my hands, im looking forward to it but slightly dreding it too.

how did you all cope with your first big trip on your own? and was it a good experience? :D

kazzii xxx

My first longish Journey was in 1965 when I drove from Dundee to Blackpool in an Austin A30. Was going for a Holiday and it took me 2 Days to get there. I was exhausted by the time I arrived but it was the Best Drive Ever.

I am sure you will have a great time, Be Safe and remember to Clunk, Click Every Trip. :D

Gronnuck
02-Jul-10, 21:14
My advice to you is take your time and don't try and do it all in one day.

Invisible
02-Jul-10, 21:16
Drove all the way to Edinburgh from Lybster with only one stop for food. Then realised I forgot my wallet, luckily I had birthday cards to collect and low and behold contained money.

Mik.M.
02-Jul-10, 21:20
oil and water check is done as is tyre pressure.. as for the car being clean, it is gettin valeted tomorow morning before departure :D
xx
Whats the point in valeting it before you go,it will be minging by the time you get to Beverley? Drive safe and as said before take your time,it`s not a race. Mik.

aburns2409
02-Jul-10, 21:27
mmmhhh - i laughed when i seen this - my first long trip was castletown to glasgow with my wee £400 first car - 3 kids in the back all under 5 and my husband who could not drive and was co driving me !! Oh my GOD!! Missed the Carlise turnoff for East kilbride - so had to drive right throught he centre of GLASGOW!!! Hubi saying i no the way - then saying oh thats new mmh - i no how to walk it but this is all one way streets - i think there was a few blue words to my memory...
Now i can drive to the bottom of England no bother with 5 kids in the car - the SAT NAV is a great thing.... Only advice give yourself plenty of time as there is nothing worse than the feeling of watching the clock - like today when i had an appointment at 5pm in JOGroats and stuck in a massive que for petrol in Alness then caravanettes and cyclists every where.... 5 kids all good though :-) xxx

young_fishin_neep
02-Jul-10, 21:40
Whats the point in valeting it before you go,it will be minging by the time you get to Beverley? Drive safe and as said before take your time,it`s not a race. Mik.
as it wont be anywere near as bad as it is just now lol

x

young_fishin_neep
02-Jul-10, 21:43
Drove all the way to Edinburgh from Lybster with only one stop for food. Then realised I forgot my wallet, luckily I had birthday cards to collect and low and behold contained money.

i will be sure to make sure i have bank card an cash on me, i aint gunna be as lucky as that!

x

young_fishin_neep
02-Jul-10, 21:44
mmmhhh - i laughed when i seen this - my first long trip was castletown to glasgow with my wee £400 first car - 3 kids in the back all under 5 and my husband who could not drive and was co driving me !! Oh my GOD!! Missed the Carlise turnoff for East kilbride - so had to drive right throught he centre of GLASGOW!!! Hubi saying i no the way - then saying oh thats new mmh - i no how to walk it but this is all one way streets - i think there was a few blue words to my memory...
Now i can drive to the bottom of England no bother with 5 kids in the car - the SAT NAV is a great thing.... Only advice give yourself plenty of time as there is nothing worse than the feeling of watching the clock - like today when i had an appointment at 5pm in JOGroats and stuck in a massive que for petrol in Alness then caravanettes and cyclists every where.... 5 kids all good though :-) xxx

sounds like that was certainly entertaining, though maybe not seemed that way at the time. im hopeing the sat nav doesnt egt me lost, as it has done before lol

xx

Dadie
02-Jul-10, 21:58
Plan plenty of stops for coffee/stretch your legs/have a pee etc.
We go to Blackpool a few times a year to visit people and my hubby always trys to do the trip without stopping!
We do the trip at night time so the kids sleep but its no fun arriving there or back home with 2 wide awake little girls and a baby needing attention the next day.
I cant sleep in a car as a passenger.....:(
And I dont like driving at night much...but will if needed!

Tugmistress
02-Jul-10, 22:16
you'll be fine neep :D inverness then cairn lodge then Scotch corner and then you'll be at your destination :p

Dadie
02-Jul-10, 22:20
Allow plenty of time for all the roadworks!
And watch out for speed cameras especially if travelling at night when the roads are deserted as its tempting to go faster!

young_fishin_neep
02-Jul-10, 22:22
Allow plenty of time for all the roadworks!
And watch out for speed cameras especially if travelling at night when the roads are deserted as its tempting to go faster!

i not to worried about when i arrive, just aslong as i get there :D

im always carefull, especially on new roads, and i never break the speed limit :D [para]

xx

young_fishin_neep
02-Jul-10, 22:25
you'll be fine neep :D inverness then cairn lodge then Scotch corner and then you'll be at your destination :p

you make it sounds sooooo easy!
xx

Tugmistress
02-Jul-10, 22:28
you make it sounds sooooo easy!
xx

it is :p
it's only just over 500 miles, most of it dual or motorway, ok a few roadworks just outside of glasgow and on A1 but that's nowt :D

Dadie
02-Jul-10, 22:30
The worst stretch will be the bit to Inverness!
After that its usually plain sailing!

sweetpea
02-Jul-10, 22:31
Hi Neep, I passed my test on 2nd Feb 1999 and the next day I had to drive to Oxford to pick up an award for something I was studying. I just kept going using common sense and following the signs. If I had to do it now I would probably panic!

young_fishin_neep
02-Jul-10, 22:46
The worst stretch will be the bit to Inverness!
After that its usually plain sailing!
i love the strecth to inverness, but i think thats cuz ive done it so many times, i dont mind driving that bit lol

sweetpea - thats a long journey the day after passing, i dont think i could have done it that soon! xx

sweetpea
02-Jul-10, 23:02
TBH looking back I'm not sure how I managed it:eek:

Anfield
02-Jul-10, 23:08
Liverpool to Shepton Mallet in Somerset for the 1970 Bath & Blues Festival.
Bought car (mini estate) 2 or 3 days before for £15 and six of us made journey
What an amazing festival, Led Zep, Floyd, the Airplane, Byrds, Moody Blues, Fairport Convention, Steppenwolf, but the band that blew everyone off the stage, a little known American band called "Its A Beautiful Day" that were awesome. Even to date they were the best live band I have seen

Went back to car on Monday morning, would not start so left it there.
Ended up hitch hiking to London thinking that floyd were playing in Hyde Park the following week. Wrong, it was the following month or month after.
Also got busted for a few misdemeanours into the bargain.

Would not have swapped any of it for the world

horseman
02-Jul-10, 23:34
forget every thing neep-know that dont' answer your original question-but you must recognise -an take a mate with you.that YOUR first long journy is what counts-an have fun on it.1:)

Gordon Bonnet
03-Jul-10, 16:00

kazzii xxx

Go steady neep, and take your time. If you, at any time feel your eyelids are heavy, pull over and have a doze.
Give my regards to Beverley - there's a gert big Church in the middle of one of the streets - not seen her for a while now.
I knock off long journeys like shellin' peas, but I'm old and have had lots of practice....still need the odd doze though, now and again. So don't hesitate...knowing when you're tired is the mark of a good driver.