PDA

View Full Version : Scotlands 1st Minister's climb down on D Day celebrations

golach
04-Jun-04, 15:27
this is a indirect quote from todays news

Scotland's First Minister has been forced into a humiliating climb down over his plans to go to a golf club dinner rather than attend the D-Day memorial commemorations in Normandy.
Jack McConnell announced his change of heart to reporters in Edinburgh after criticism from veteran groups and opposition parties.
"Given the legitimate concerns expressed by decent families here in Scotland, I think that is the right thing to do," he said.
Mr McConnell had originally planned to attend a dinner for the 250th anniversary of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club in St Andrews, but said he had no wish to see the "very important" Normandy event turned into a political row.
He told reporters in Edinburgh: "I have decided that given that there are families in Scotland, the descendants of those who died in Normandy 60 years ago, who are concerned, they want to see Scotland represented at the highest level in Normandy on Sunday, that I will go to the D-Day events, that I will represent the Scottish government.
"I intend now to go and make those arrangements."
Less than two hours earlier Mr McConnell had insisted that the Government was already represented, and had given no sign that he was set to change his mind.

As a member of the City of Edinburgh Branch of the Royal Naval Assocciation
http://www.edinburgh-rna.org.uk/ and the Central Edinburgh Branch of the Royal British Legion.
I take great exception at our mincing First Minister who in my humble opinion has done more damage to the Labour Party of Scotland, by his very quick U turn, from attending a Golf Dinner with one o the beegest hanger on o the Royals, the Duke o York.
If the "Normandy event" as he put it was a very important event, why did he decide to toady up to the Royal and Ancient at St Andrews instead of Normandy?
Come June 10th Elections just wait an see public opinion Jack the Lad

Golach

Anonymous
04-Jun-04, 21:45
Golach
I agree.
This must sum up our politicians.
You can imagine the conversation -
"Minister, there's an invitation to a beach party or something coming up in France that might clash with your golf do? Shall I respond".
Goodness Hector the Golf Society Dinner is toooo important to turn down for anyone. Who will be there?
Er.......... 15 heads of state from most world governments and a chance to represent this country on the world stage.
To remember the thousands of men from regiments through out Scotland who laid down their lives for our freedom.
To show the world that the people of Scotland care and you will be our representative to lay a wreath in their memory.

No no Hector ......who will be at the Golf Do?
And more importantly - what shall I wear - the Club President may be there!! [disgust] [mad] [mad]

lynne duncan
04-Jun-04, 22:44
as you say it gives us great faith to know the polititians can prioritise so brilliantly. I think I would have more respect for the scottish executive if they were chosen from my daughters Primary 2 class.

Doolally
04-Jun-04, 23:16
Typical of so many politicians, self centred and uncaring. Saying that, most have the sense to at least look as if they take an interest.

True colours shining through springs to mind.

The electorate should oust him at the soonest opportunity.

MadPict
05-Jun-04, 00:38
Not just in Scotland but in Wales as well - from a Golf online news item about Jack McConnell -

However, Welsh first minister, Rhodri Morgan, will miss the D-Day memorial to attend a meeting to discuss Wales' hosting of the Ryder Cup in 2010 at The Celtic Manor, which is this week hosting the Welsh Open.

WTF do these people think they are doing? [mad] [mad] [mad] [mad]
2010???
Wake up you useless ******!!!!

JAWS
05-Jun-04, 03:02
Be fair people and use a little understanding! Golf is very important, there are a lot of golfers and most of them have votes.

There aren't enough Veterans left to make a difference at the polls and the people of France don't get a vote in local elections.

Politicians have to have a sense of proportion and buttering up the voters is more important than anything else.

Besides this was at very short notice - there was only 60 years to think about it.

What these clowns forget is that the young men and women who went into Normandy didn't go there thinking "What's in it for me?" they just got on with the job in hand.

And politicians wonder why they are held in such poor regard and bleat about Voter Apathy.

Both of them should take a long hard look in the mirror and there they will see the precise reason people find politicians so despicable.

gleeber
05-Jun-04, 09:46
Jack McConnell does not represent me whether he stands on the beaches of Normandy or the beaches of Leith.
I pay my own homage to the men and women who fought and died for the freedom we now enjoy to say what we like on an open forum like caithness.org.
I dont have a need to see Scotland represented at anything apart from the football maybe, with our German manager an all. Thats highly unlikely in the immediate future though.
Your all sounding like a bunch o sheep. bahhhhhhhhhhhhh
We get the leaders we deserve bahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
That being said Mr McConnell should resign because he inhabits the world of follow the leader and his latest blunder is inexcusable.

Anonymous
05-Jun-04, 11:51
Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.

When the tyrant has disposed of foreign enemies by conquest or treaty, and there is nothing more to fear from them, then he is always stirring up some war or other, in order that the people may require a leader.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction....The chain reaction of evil -- hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars -- must be broken, or we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

We can only hope that those who come after can learn from the errors of those who went before as we now live in a society where one mistake is often the last. As individuals we should count ourselves lucky that we can elect someone else to make the mistakes and pay the price for them.

I have to say though, I would not have attended the event either. I always feel put out being forced to remember something I did not experience. However, I would not have belittled the memories of others with such an obscene gesture. If he'd decided to stay in and watch a movie with a few beers, who would have been any the wiser, but to publicly attend another event, especially one with so little importance, is ignorant and rude at best.

JAWS
05-Jun-04, 16:11
Personally, I feel I owe my life to them. With my reputation for Moaning and Whinging I fear the Concentration Camps would have had at least one more occupant.

Still, looking on the bright side, I would probably be in good company.

At least I don't have to creep around wondering if I had been heard by the Organs of State!

Or do I?

gleeber
05-Jun-04, 19:13
Good quote from Goering Niall.
Strengthens the sheep theory bahhhhhhhhhhhhhh ;)

MadPict
05-Jun-04, 20:01
Goering said
All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.

Hmmm, sounds familiar.
45 mins and weapons of mass destruction....

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/MadPict/images/flaminblob.gifMadPict
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/MadPict/images/gruff_ext.gif

golach
05-Jun-04, 20:26
Jack McConnell does not represent me whether he stands on the beaches of Normandy or the beaches of Leith.

I pay my own homage to the men and women who fought and died for the freedom we now enjoy to say what we like on an open forum like caithness.org.

That being said Mr McConnell should resign because he inhabits the world of follow the leader and his latest blunder is inexcusable.

Gleeber Gleeber Gleeber, what are we going to do with you eh? One minute you are saying our illustrious 1st Minister does not represent you on the beaches ( by the way there are no beaches in Leith well not in the last 42 years that I have lived in it).
Then you say he should resignbecause of what he inhabits, and the latest blunder he has made......make up your mind man...if he does not represent you why worry

Golach

JAWS
05-Jun-04, 21:34
"As you leave the landing-craft men just remember, Hitler doesn't represent you so you've nothing to worry about!"

Captain Mainwaring eat your heart out! Dads Army is alive and well.

gleeber
05-Jun-04, 22:06
golach golach golach, if ye canna read the posts properly hev a word with Niall he may be able to print it out in braille for ye. :) bahhhhhhhhhhhhhh ;)

golach
06-Jun-04, 19:51
I have spent an afternoon of amazement and wonder watching the Veterans of D-day parading in France, the enthusiasim of those octigenarians amazed me, and humbled me the BBC did an excellent job of these comemerative occasions as always.
If our 1st minister can come back from France and not say he is sorry for the upset he has caused by putting a Golf Dinner over this momentous event then he has lost the plot more than I thought

Golach

zappster
06-Jun-04, 20:49
Lets look at ed fae his(Jack Mc1stminister) point o view ....a beeg plate o ingins /frogs leigs & snails in a cafe in Franceor a beeg plate o scampi & chips in a posh golf club joost up eh rod...now what denner wid yee pick!!(dont take offence he was a silly neep to forget the date!)