PDA

View Full Version : Cat with swollen gland??

pierre
01-Jul-10, 20:55
My cat (3 yrs old) has developed a lump on his neck which I am guessing could be a swollen gland?

He did have a cut lip and now a wee cut on his nose on same side as lump so I am hoping it is just his system reacting to that trying to fight infection but not sure.

He is an indoor cat so sometimes wonder how he manages to do these things but its not from fighting with other cats or anything.

Any ideas if thats all it is or could it be more serious?? Any info appreciated.

Thanks

puffin croft
01-Jul-10, 21:44
i would say its a job for the vet,i wouldn t mess about with lumps,sooner rather than later.

teenybash
01-Jul-10, 22:26
Probably better to get it checked out as puddycat might need anti b's if it is an infection in the glands.:)

Liz
01-Jul-10, 22:28
I would agree in that you would be best to get your cat to the Vets. Sounds like it may be an abcess.

_Ju_
02-Jul-10, 07:18
It sounds like an abcess which will need to be lanced by your vet (especially if it can compromise the airways). Antibiotics will probably be needed as well.
You need to go to the vet.

pierre
03-Jul-10, 14:10
Thanks very much for your replies.

The lump seems to pretty much be gone now, guessing it must be as a result of that cuts. I will be keeping an eye on it though and be taking him straight to the vet if it gets worse again.

He seems fine in himselt too so thats good.

I must actually get pet insurance as you never know when something serious can happen. Any suggestion on good insurers??

_Ju_
03-Jul-10, 15:21
Pierre, if it was an abscess (and it sounds an aweful lot like one), it may have ruptured inwards, looking like it is gone. Be very observant of your cats' general state, apetite and/or pus/smells.
As for insurance, I have no idea which is best. Which ever one you choose, you will still have to have regular checkups with the vet and maintain vaccination. Nor will policies cover pre-existing conditions. Plase don't put off taking your cat to the vet until you get insurance in place.
Hope your puddy-tat gets better soon.

Beat Bug
03-Jul-10, 17:27
My Muffin had a lump on her back, which moved about! Vet diagnosed it as a cist, which he then removed.