PDA

View Full Version : Tumble Dryer

Liz
24-Jun-06, 19:04
The drum on our tumble drier won't rotate. Does anyone know what could cause this? Can't afford a new one just now but don't want to be charged by someone just to tell us we need a new one! Advice much appreciated. Thanks!

gleeber
24-Jun-06, 19:14
Could just be the belt liz. Either broken or come of the drive wheel. Open the back and check it out.

Liz
24-Jun-06, 20:17
Thanks a lot Gleeber. Will have a look. Hope that's all it is!

Rheghead
25-Jun-06, 00:36
What a coincidence! My tumble dryer stopped tumbling last week after 9 years. I took the back off and the belt had gone. I ordered a new belt which came yesterday and I fitted it today. All is well now. I wonder what will go next on it and is it a false economy to repair stuff when I could have bought a new one? The belt cost £11 and a new TD would be £300+, I reckon a half hours work has saved me a couple of bob though. :Razz

I wonder how many TDs have been thrown away but could have just needed a bit of reconditioning?

orkneylass
25-Jun-06, 01:27
Well done you - we have changed from make do and mend to the disposable society and lost a lot of skills and wasted a lot in the process. i think it's really satisfying to fix something cheaply rather than pay the full whack. one of my best ever years ago was a hole in the door seal of my washing machine - a bicycle puncture repair kit costing 99p fixed it for years more use!

Bill Fernie
25-Jun-06, 10:00
How many of you replace the brushes in the motor in your washing maching yourself.

Many years ago my brother-in-law showed me this one. If you washing machine begins to sound abit croaky or is intrmittant in going you should check the brushes located in the motor. Its really quite easy once you have seen it done. There are two in each motor and they are quite easy to take out and replace - cost about £6 - £7 depending on the machine. As the brushes always wear down over tiem they will almost always require replacement at some point so for years we have always keep spare set and when they are used we immediately buy another set to be ready for the next time. Sometimes the problem may be something else but we have found it it has been one of our most common problems and by replacing ourselves have save hundreds of pounds over the years by doing this. If you try it and it does not work then you can move to the next decision call out the man or buy a new one depending on how old the machine. A set of brushes for few pouinds is much cheaper than the callout charge, labour and the part which may be charged at a higher price than you can get it yourself.

It may take you a while the first time but after you get the hang of it you can do it in 10 minutes including opening up the machine and putting it all back together. It is not complicated but can be bit fiddly the first couple of times until you get the hang of it.

The only thing you need to remember is that the brushes are some sort of graphite tupe material on a spring and are quite soft and liable to break if you are not careful when installing them. Once in place there is no problem.

The other part we have replaces a few times over the years is the door seal on various machines as this often goes and again if you buy the part it is easy to replace. The belt on washing machine can also go and once agian it is easy to replace liek the tumble drier.

Here is handy place to start for washing machine problems
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/electrical/washing_machine_faq.htm

What else have we replaced? - well the thermostat on the electric cooker is pretty easy to replace as are all of the rings.

Ask you friends or relatives what they already do and you may save a lot of money over the years.

Probably best not to touch gas appliances unless you really do know what you are doing.

connieb19
25-Jun-06, 10:07
I have insurance with Domestic And General on all my kitchen appliances, it only costs £10 per month and covers washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher and fridge freezer, it's new for old so I will never have to buy any of these appliances again. To me it's well worth the £10 just to have peace of mind. :)

orkneylass
25-Jun-06, 10:18
Sounds like a good deal but I am wary of white goods insurances packages. Maybe I have been lucky but I have never had to have a major repair and I worked out that if I had taken out all the extra warrantees offered on my white goods I would have spent at least £500 - that would buy me a couple of new appliances anyway.

connieb19
25-Jun-06, 10:31
Sounds like a good deal but I am wary of white goods insurances packages. Maybe I have been lucky but I have never had to have a major repair and I worked out that if I had taken out all the extra warrantees offered on my white goods I would have spent at least £500 - that would buy me a couple of new appliances anyway.You're lucky, Ive had new bearings in my machine twice, which would have been nearly as expensive as a new machine each time.:(

Liz
25-Jun-06, 13:04
Could just be the belt liz. Either broken or come of the drive wheel. Open the back and check it out.

Spot on Gleeber! It is the belt that is broken!

Couldn't get the back off though despite taking all the screws off!:(

Saw the broken belt through the hole where the hose goes in.

Can you recommend anyone who won't cost an arm and a leg to repair it?

gleeber
25-Jun-06, 13:10
Spot on Gleeber! It is the belt that is broken!

Saw the broken belt through the hole where the hose goes in.

Can you recommend anyone who won't cost an arm and a leg to repair it?

You can easily do it yourself. See Bills post above. If not, grab your neighbours teenage son.

highlander
25-Jun-06, 13:47
Over the last 28years of marrige i have managed to go through numerous washing machine, tumble dryers, and houvers (last one, because i prefered to use it on turbo all the time, and burnt it out) lol, my poor demented husband thought enough is enough, so when my next new washing machine arrived, i excitely watched as the men installed it, and could not wait to get this new baby rolling lol, i gave it a quick kiss and pat, and told it, "right you!!
you have to last a longgggggg time, or i am dead meat", i filled the machine, sat back with my coffee, and watched it getting on with the job, THEN..... 45 minutes later it, STOPPED!!! OMGGGGGGGGG, i have broken the new washing machine, by this time i was jumping on the spot, petrified, OMG hubby will be home in 2 hrs, i will get it now!! lol so i quickly got on the phone
and told the shop (where i bought the machine)
look your men installed the machine, its lasted 45 minutes, i DEMAND a new one, i was told on the phone, oh we could repair it for you, NO WAY i said, i want a new one, and delivered right away, before my husband gets home.
When the men came up to take away the machine, they discovered they had not taken out the packing inside the machine, WHEWWWWWWW, i thought and fair chuffed i was at least it was not my fault lol.
So when hubby came home, i started to tell him about what happed, i got to the bit, i got the new washing machine, and it went for 45 minutes, and broke, before i got any further it was "WHAT"!!!! how on earth do u manage to break a new machine already!!! once he calmed down and decided to listen to the rest of the story, we had a good laugh about it, but still to this day i still worry when i get something new, ermmmmmmmmm how long its going to last for lol (sorry it was such an epic story) lol

Rheghead
25-Jun-06, 13:58

keep looking for screws! There's bound to be a couple left. Just be brave and yank the back off though you might have to take off some wiring and a fan first. Draw a diagram of where the wiring goes though, after writing down the colour codes.

You have to overcome the static friction of where the drum turns round the door seal so you might have to apply a wee bit of pressure.:)

good luck!

scorrie
25-Jun-06, 21:12
Sounds like a good deal but I am wary of white goods insurances packages. Maybe I have been lucky but I have never had to have a major repair and I worked out that if I had taken out all the extra warrantees offered on my white goods I would have spent at least £500 - that would buy me a couple of new appliances anyway.

I never touch them either and I am quids in over the years. They brainwash you with all the call out charge quotes and the old "Complete Peace Of Mind" mantra.

In reality the insurance charge as a percentage of a, worst case scenario, repurchase twelve months down the line, when the item will be cheaper, is outrageous in most cases.

If in doubt, ask yourself this simple question. "If extended warranty was good for the customer, rather than the insurer, would they be offering it to you?"

Stuff the Zanussi repairman. Wee Jimmy on backshift is sure to know a gadgie who is a dab hand wi washing machines. Done and dusted for a bottle of Whyte and Mackay and 20 regal king size.