PDA

View Full Version : Tourism in the county.

Kenn
29-Jun-10, 21:05
Have just got back from Orkney and was struck by the contrast in the facilities and information for visitors between there and Caithness.
Excellent tourist centre in Kirkwall with representitives of both The RSPB and The Rangers available to give detailed replies to any questions and very cheerfull staff.
All the places of historic interest we visited had all weather information boards as did the various nature reserves and the walks were clearly defined giving both distance and information on what to look for at what time of year.
Can any one explain why so many things of interest that might retain and bring more tourists are so badly promoted this side of the water?
Wick is a classic example, why are there no signs on the A99 approach to let people know that there is a distillery with a visitor centre and where The Heritage Centre is. They are so far into the town centre that I suspect many people miss them entirely.
Why are there no buses to The Grey Cairns of Camster?
Why do the RSPB, who have several reserves within the county not publish a comprehensive list of where they are, how to access them and what to look for?
Why is there not a craft trail? I know of many people who make excellent items ranging from sculture to spinning.
With the wind down of Dounreay and the subsequent loss of employment resulting I would have thought the the need to promote tourism would be a very high priority.
Caithness has so much to offer and yet is so poorly promoted, any one know why?

sandyr1
29-Jun-10, 21:14
And the Toilets in Lybster & Helmsdale.....aghhhhhhhhhhhhh

John Little
29-Jun-10, 21:30
Yeah - I'll be up there next year! Doing the tourist bit- where do I take the missus?

Sara Jevo
29-Jun-10, 22:24
Probably because the area never promoted itself. It never needed to - it got lazy and fat suckling the cash cow called Dounreay.

Bobinovich
30-Jun-10, 00:32
AFAIK there has never been an all-encompasing guide available to what Caithness has to offer. Each business / attraction has produced their own literature / website but there's nothing which brings them together.

In fact the Org is probably the closest thing we have! Unfortunately there's so much to it and subsequently many pages are out of date.

The only area in the county which appears to have a single website covering businesses and attractions seems to be John o'Groats (http://www.visitjohnogroats.com/directory.htm)!

Aaldtimer
30-Jun-10, 03:12
http://www.caithness.org/links/touristinfo.htm :confused

Gronnuck
30-Jun-10, 07:24
IMHO Orkney has its own 'Tourist Board' whereas Caithness is lumped in with every other Tom, Dick and Hamish in 'Highlands' where Caithness doesn't even exist! :confused

Razz
30-Jun-10, 17:34
The Tourist Board does not help. We had customers on our campsite the other day, who had travelled up from Inverness. The lady who was working in the information centre, advised them that it was not worthwhile visiting anywhere north of Inverness as there is nothing to see or do. We are waiting for a response from the Tourist Board why such a response would be given.

ducati
30-Jun-10, 20:22
The Tourist Board does not help. We had customers on our campsite the other day, who had travelled up from Inverness. The lady who was working in the information centre, advised them that it was not worthwhile visiting anywhere north of Inverness as there is nothing to see or do. We are waiting for a response from the Tourist Board why such a response would be given.

I'd heard the Tourist Board in Inverness said this 2 years ago! Nothing changes it seems.

Blarney
30-Jun-10, 20:39
That's not the first time that I've heard that Razz. I alone have heard several people tell similar tales of the 'information' given out by the staff at Inverness. However, I don't think that the Tourist Information in Wick is ideal. Tucked away upstairs in the back corner of a gents' outfitters isn't exactly the best place to expound the many great things that Caithness has to offer.

Metalattakk
30-Jun-10, 21:32
I'd heard the Tourist Board in Inverness said this 2 years ago! Nothing changes it seems.

Been happening consistently for 10+ years in my experience.

Rictina
30-Jun-10, 22:39
Yes as a new comer to Caithness I would be really intrested to learn more about this beautifull county.

Orkney sounds wonderfull.

Lizz could I ask you, where did you sail from & to ?

glaikit
30-Jun-10, 22:49
Agree, it's time to get our act together and promote the beautiful beaches, architectural and nature sites, visitor attractions and provide a welcoming environment for visitors.
We're going to need our tourism industry when Dounreay finally runs down and we should be doing something about it now.

Kevin Milkins
30-Jun-10, 22:55
The couple of times that we visited Orkney it was very noticeable that they make a much bigger effort to accommodate visitors, in particular the toilets that are available in some remote locations.

Dadie
30-Jun-10, 23:23
We went on a lovely walk for our nursery trip to giese (beats 1&2 area of thurso river)
I never knew it existed before we went and I have lived all my life in Caithness!
If people local to Caithness dont know about things how will tourists know!

Rheghead
30-Jun-10, 23:27
I'd like to see an interpretation centre or a Jorvik/Celtic experience centre on how society changed when Norse culture came to Celtic Britain. It could be like a walkthrough showing viking boats and may be a voice over about how the language of the male norse competes with the maternal celtic language.

theone
30-Jun-10, 23:57
[QUOTE=LIZZ;729618]
Why are there no buses to The Grey Cairns of Camster?
QUOTE]

The road is unsuitable for coaches and signposted as such.

I agree with the rest of your post though.

ywindythesecond
01-Jul-10, 00:01
Agree, it's time to get our act together and promote the beautiful beaches, architectural and nature sites, visitor attractions and provide a welcoming environment for visitors.
We're going to need our tourism industry when Dounreay finally runs down and we should be doing something about it now.

It is too late glaikit. We have 48 big wind turbines in Caithness at the moment. 66 more have planning permission in really unsuitable places and will be built soon. 17 more at Dunbeath have as good as got planning permission. 77 more are in the queue for planning permission. About another 70 are in the process of applying for planning permission. 35 have been refused planning permission but are planning to appeal against it.
Windfarm tourism is our only hope.
Don't believe me, go to the Highland Council website
http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/8221928B-D7D2-45E9-B96E-51FD13A57B95/0/highland_wind.pdf

For more accurate and up to date information, go to www.caithnesswindfarms.co.uk (http://www.caithnesswindfarms.co.uk)

Kenn
01-Jul-10, 01:01
Rictina went on The Pentalina and came back on the Hamnavoe.
Very different vessels, but with the swell running or a rough sea would recommend the later.

Happy Guy
01-Jul-10, 17:06
I'd like to see an interpretation centre or a Jorvik/Celtic experience centre on how society changed when Norse culture came to Celtic Britain. It could be like a walkthrough showing viking boats and may be a voice over about how the language of the male norse competes with the maternal celtic language.
I am sure I passed a Norse/Viking centre somewhere between Keiss and Mey, but cant remember where

fender
01-Jul-10, 17:17
Auckengill and now called the Broch Centre.

glaikit
01-Jul-10, 18:19
It is too late glaikit. We have 48 big wind turbines in Caithness at the moment. 66 more have planning permission in really unsuitable places and will be built soon. 17 more at Dunbeath have as good as got planning permission. 77 more are in the queue for planning permission. About another 70 are in the process of applying for planning permission. 35 have been refused planning permission but are planning to appeal against it.
Windfarm tourism is our only hope.
Don't believe me, go to the Highland Council website
http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/8221928B-D7D2-45E9-B96E-51FD13A57B95/0/highland_wind.pdf

For more accurate and up to date information, go to www.caithnesswindfarms.co.uk (http://www.caithnesswindfarms.co.uk)

Don't say that Windy.:(
What's going to happen to us now then?
Maybe we'll just become a big nuclear, dumping ground?

Sage
01-Jul-10, 19:45
It's a shame nothing is really done for the Tourism industry in Caithness, I've had quite a few clients over the years from abroad who have asked what's on and where to go. It doesnt help when the Tourist Information in Inverness ignores us totally :eek:

I actually ended up creating mini-itineraries for them and even took one lovely Australian lady around the county for the day. She was really nice and loved the County.

Hmmmm. I feel a web-page coming on in the near future ;)

scottydog
01-Jul-10, 22:10
yes its a real shame that they do not plug the area more. ive had 4 hoildays up with you in the last 2h years and each time i have loved it. its the same for south west scotland its over looked as every one drives right up the M74 to central belt and out west and east.

you have one of scotland best kept secrets.;)

Ross, kendal cumbria

Bobinovich
01-Jul-10, 22:25
...Hmmmm. I feel a web-page coming on in the near future ;)

I had thought the same, along with a booklet containing maps of walks, drives, places to visit, eat, toilet locations etc. The only problem would be who would fund them? They would be major undertakings to design and print, or in the case of the website to design, maintain and keep updated.

Dadie
01-Jul-10, 22:33
Would banner ads not fund them?
or at least subsidise them?
That way us in Caithness and visitors can get the most out of out beautiful county!

Sage
01-Jul-10, 22:35
Thats the problem!

It's easy enough to stick information on a website, the brochures are more of an expense however.

It all depends on how much input you want from outside, you dont want to duplicate the org...look how much time that takes up :eek:

The county really should come together to do something, but it all costs time and money (which we arent going to get from the council...unless the signs are in gaelic ;) )

ducati
02-Jul-10, 00:10
Have I missed something? What is Visit Scotland for? :confused

Kenn
02-Jul-10, 01:06
Have emailed The RSPB and await their response as to why the have a great connection with
Orkney and no here...will be interesting to see what response I get.

Metalattakk
02-Jul-10, 01:12
Have I missed something? What is Visit Scotland for? :confused

Ah yes, VisitScotland. Aren't they the same organisation that advises the Tourist Information in Inverness to completely ignore the North of Scotland?

Are they the same organisation that charges small hotels and B&Bs an absolute fortune to be included on their accommodation lists?

VisitScotland should be renamed "Visit the bits of Scotland we think you might be interested in (going by who pays us the most)".

Tugmistress
02-Jul-10, 08:16
I've done a couple of pages on my website about whaligoe steps and dunnet forest walk, but if anyone wants to send an email with their favourite places to visit in caithness and a small write up as to where and why they like it with one or two pictures i will happily incorporate it in to my site.
i'm not great at the initial wording but i 'think' i get the spelling right most of the time and i get over 3,000 unique hits a month, it's not a lot but it may help :)

Mister Squiggle
02-Jul-10, 08:27
Here's the link for the Broch Centre:
http://www.caithnessbrochcentre.co.uk/
Well worth a visit! You can then walk down to the Nybster brochs over the road - fantastic on a sunny day.

Mr Z
03-Jul-10, 00:03
The recently launched Caithness Advertiser has this month included a basic tourist trail and will for the summer months at least try to increase and improve on it. It also promotes local areas each month but relies on local imput.

Kenn
14-Jul-10, 18:45
Dear Liz,

thank you very much for you enquiry which has been passed onto me.

We have two nature reserves in Caithness, Broubster Leans and Dunnet Head. We have only had them for two years and are still developing their visiting facilities, but Dunnet Head has a new leaflet which is in some of the hotels and Tourist Information Centres locally. We have also installed some new interpretation on site in the car park

It is worth noting that RSPB reserves have different levels of promotion. Some are suited to and capable of coping with lots of visitors and they are the ones for which we produce leaflets. Others are termed "quiet enjoyment" and are not heavily promoted. Some are very vulnerable to disturbance and cannot even be publicised at all. Not every reserve therefore has a leaflet

This summer we have an Information Officer based at our Information Point in the car park on Dunnet Head. His name is Niall Laybourne and he is trialling weekly guided walks. To date he has been advertising around Thurso, but anyone would be welcome to join him. In fact he has done a number of impromptu walks whenever people show an interest.

More information about our reserves can be found on the RSPB website. Cut and paste the links into your web browser

http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/d/dunnethead/index.aspx

http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/b/broubsterleans/index.aspx

I hope you find time to visit Dunnet Head before the seabirds return to sea. It really is a beautiful spot

Best wishes,

Dave

Dave Jones
RSPB Caithness Reserves Site Manager
T3 - Janetstown Industrial Estate
Thurso
Caithness
KW14 7XF
Tel: 01847 891 063
Mob: 07872 814 915

Tubthumper
14-Jul-10, 19:38
That's brilliant stuff Lizz, things ARE going on. Perhaps we should look at a range of subjects for different age groups. How about ages 55-75, Birds & Brochs?

badger
14-Jul-10, 22:38
Visit Scotland are a complete waste of time - hopeless website and they're just not interested. I had also complained to North Highland Scotland which wasn't much better but under new management has had a complete revamp and considering what they had to start with I think they've done a good job. Even got up to date events :)

http://www.northhighlandsscotland.com/

Maybe now we need to pass the word round.

bagpuss
16-Jul-10, 01:09
Dornoch could provide Caithness with a clue as to how to get it right. nice shops, Cathedral, good food, and no chain stores, takeways or charity shops in the main streets. swarming with tourists (including lots of caithness people who have caravans in the area) and tourist hot spots well signposted