PDA

View Full Version : Let's get a new High School for East Caithness

PantsMAN
29-Jun-10, 19:46
I just thought we should have a thread about a new schoolwhich is positive in outlook rather than negative and complaining.

Remember, we want a school for all the children in East Caithness; this is NOT just about the Bignold Park - it is much bigger than that.

This is a public forum and the public and councillors from anywhere in Highland can watch all the in-fighting and enjoy the spectacle.

Be aware that there is a considerable body of opinion who are currently campaigning against the broken promise to build 5 new care homes in Highland - cost £30m...

So, if you want to post here please try to limit yourself to posistive posts about a new high school. What an it do for our youngsters and community? It is especially relevant for those with children in about Primary 2 or 3 and below as they will be the ones who will benefit from a new school for all their secondary years.

Feel free to shoot me down if you just want to continue in the same negative vein...

annemarie482
29-Jun-10, 23:35
well here's my 2 cents.....lol

i'm with you there!
no matter where you build some busybody will gibber on about they're house losing value, or losing their view!!!
a new school is needed and there is nowhere else to put the kids whilst we flatten and replace the existing one so a new site is needed.
big park, near old school, with a wide road along side it......perfect!
use the old site to replace the green wick loses.

(watch the grumbles come now!! lol)

piratelassie
30-Jun-10, 00:03
well here's my 2 cents.....lol

i'm with you there!
no matter where you build some busybody will gibber on about they're house losing value, or losing their view!!!
a new school is needed and there is nowhere else to put the kids whilst we flatten and replace the existing one so a new site is needed.
big park, near old school, with a wide road along side it......perfect!
use the old site to replace the green wick loses.

(watch the grumbles come now!! lol)
I totally agree annemarie,we all should be delighted instead off bickering..

Metalattakk
30-Jun-10, 00:24
I just thought we should have a thread about a new schoolwhich is positive in outlook rather than negative and complaining.

What's a 'schoolwich'? Have I missed out on something here - a 'school sandwich', or something?

Do they sell them in the tuck shop after English classes?

plutonio
30-Jun-10, 06:08
at last someone with sense

PantsMAN
30-Jun-10, 08:37
What's a 'schoolwich'? Have I missed out on something here - a 'school sandwich', or something?

Do they sell them in the tuck shop after English classes?

The typo was originally 'schoolwhich' so I guess you need to practice your copying.

But thanks for pointing out such a grave error in an otherwise unblemished General forum! We need more people like what you are (joke!).

ocd
30-Jun-10, 09:13
Well done PANTSman!

I agree with you wholeheartedly! All this bickering will result in the funding which has been secured diverted to other projects!

So what if we loose Bignold Park it is one of the most under-utilised parts of the town (other than as a doggy toilet!)

I think the school should be built on Bignold Park with the Games Field at the back of the existing WHS designated for the sporting community.

PS I am a Wicker born and bread so cannot understand all this sentimentality about a field!

chaz
30-Jun-10, 09:20

Remember, we want a school for all the children in East Caithness; this is NOT just about the Bignold Park - it is much bigger than that.

This is a public forum and the public and councillors from anywhere in Highland can watch all the in-fighting and enjoy the spectacle.

Be aware that there is a considerable body of opinion who are currently campaigning against the broken promise to build 5 new care homes in Highland - cost £30m...

So, if you want to post here please try to limit yourself to posistive posts about a new high school. What an it do for our youngsters and community? It is especially relevant for those with children in about Primary 2 or 3 and below as they will be the ones who will benefit from a new school for all their secondary years.

Feel free to shoot me down if you just want to continue in the same negative vein...

I agree with you, i have a daughter who is going into primary two who is in this catchment area, the children need a new school, and it has to be priority to benefit these youngsters and give them a good secondary education.

scorrie
30-Jun-10, 12:19
Well done PANTSman!

I agree with you wholeheartedly! All this bickering will result in the funding which has been secured diverted to other projects!

Just posting for clarification. The Funding is GUARANTEED. Councillor Bill Fernie confirmed this at the meeting.

PantsMAN
30-Jun-10, 15:04
Just posting for clarification. The Funding is GUARANTEED. Councillor Bill Fernie confirmed this at the meeting.

Nothing is guaranteed, there is a 4 year window for the Scottish Govt. funding and an election next year. The Scottish Govt. has not put in place any measures to balance the books after the Banking crisis and if we have new political leaders who knows what will happen.

And now a quote from the following news item
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/10391337.stm

" Highland Council has agreed to abandon its promise to build five new care homes for the elderly across the region. Councillors at Inverness voted 52 to 25 to abandon the scheme after an emotional three hour debate.
Council leaders insisted they could not afford to build the homes because of spending constraints."

I expect they thought the funding was guaranteed also?

So maybe we should try to encourage HC to get the school built asap rather than giving every appearance of a town full of naysayers.

fender
02-Jul-10, 19:24
Well done PANTSman!

So what if we loose Bignold Park it is one of the most under-utilised parts of the town (other than as a doggy toilet!)

I think the school should be built on Bignold Park with the Games Field at the back of the existing WHS designated for the sporting community.

PS I am a Wicker born and bread so cannot understand all this sentimentality about a field!

Here, here. I passed by last Sunday about 10 to 3 on such a lovely day the park was, surprise, surprise empty. Why put a view before our children and their childrens futuure. I'm still waiting for my post card visit!!

katarina
02-Jul-10, 19:31
Here, here. I passed by last Sunday about 10 to 3 on such a lovely day the park was, surprise, surprise empty. Why put a view before our children and their childrens futuure. I'm still waiting for my post card visit!!

Because there is a perfectly feasable alternative! I do not agree that being against the bignold is negative - we are all positive and happy about the new school already. And as for the Beautiful old building which now houses the high school being pulled down and another green area being created there - Come on - where's the money for that! Just ain't gonna happen.

PantsMAN
02-Jul-10, 20:39
Because there is a perfectly feasable alternative! I do not agree that being against the bignold is negative - we are all positive and happy about the new school already. And as for the Beautiful old building which now houses the high school being pulled down and another green area being created there - Come on - where's the money for that! Just ain't gonna happen.

The middle section of the old school will be listed and preserved. The wing at the side where english / history etc is taught will be pulled down along with the 70s buildings.

fender
02-Jul-10, 22:54
Once again the local paper is full of negative letters. One from Baikies mouth piece, one from Bush which, in reality means nothing and one from some guy in EDINBURGH banging on about democracy. I wonder is this the same democary where if you don't like what I say you're wrong!!

Let's face it the only reason these folk are against building in the Bignold is for NIMBY reasons spoil my view or perceived reduction in the value of my house.

sweetpea
02-Jul-10, 23:00
I'm all for a new all singing and dancing school but today I had my age challenged. I was asking a group of young people what they thought about the new school and some of the replies I got made me think. They said they couldn't give a ................. about the building:eek: to them the teachers attitudes and the opportunities were much more important.

scorrie
02-Jul-10, 23:35
Nothing is guaranteed, there is a 4 year window for the Scottish Govt. funding and an election next year. The Scottish Govt. has not put in place any measures to balance the books after the Banking crisis and if we have new political leaders who knows what will happen.

And now a quote from the following news item
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/10391337.stm

" Highland Council has agreed to abandon its promise to build five new care homes for the elderly across the region. Councillors at Inverness voted 52 to 25 to abandon the scheme after an emotional three hour debate.
Council leaders insisted they could not afford to build the homes because of spending constraints."

I expect they thought the funding was guaranteed also?

So maybe we should try to encourage HC to get the school built asap rather than giving every appearance of a town full of naysayers.

By your own statement/logic the funding is not guaranteed for the Bignold Park site either.

The next Scottish Parliament election is on 5th May next year. The Highland Council estimate that they will have made a decision on the site by January of next year. If there is any concern regarding a new regime reneging on a promise made by it's predecessors, then it is only common sense to opt for the site which offers the easiest and swiftest progression to the next stage. Bill Fernie stated at Monday's meeting that The Highland Council funding was guaranteed ad infinitum, while the money from the Scottish Government was good up until 2016. If you are saying that we cannot believe a word that the Highland Council say regarding funding, then what makes people seem to be so keen to believe every other thing they are telling us regarding their preference for the Bignold Park?

If the Bignold Park were the ONLY site capable of holding the new School, I would see the point in accepting that and moving on with whatever reservations we may have put to one side. However, the Architects have told us that the site behind the current School is perfectly capable of holding all the features that will be built into the the site at the Bignold Park.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that to pursue the Bignold Park site is going to result in objection/legal challenge and subsequent delays.

Maybe we should try to encourage The Highland Council to embrace common sense in the face of certain objection and actually practice what they preach regarding "value for money"

Cattach
03-Jul-10, 09:27
Once again the local paper is full of negative letters. One from Baikies mouth piece, one from Bush which, in reality means nothing and one from some guy in EDINBURGH banging on about democracy. I wonder is this the same democary where if you don't like what I say you're wrong!!

Let's face it the only reason these folk are against building in the Bignold is for NIMBY reasons spoil my view or perceived reduction in the value of my house.

Another example of an erroneous generalisation. I do not live in Wick but have lots of friends and realatives there. None live close enough to the Bignold Park so NIMBYISM not a factor in my case or theirs. I just think it is the wrong place or the school and a loss of amenity for many groups when the area around the present High School is much better for the new building.

katarina
03-Jul-10, 14:56

I don't live anywhere near the Bignold park. But i am totally against it. so there!

katarina
03-Jul-10, 15:03
The middle section of the old school will be listed and preserved. The wing at the side where english / history etc is taught will be pulled down along with the 70s buildings.

So if the new school is built in the bignold Park, are you saying that a new park will be created on the old school site with a protected building in the middle? Wouldn't that increase the overall expenditure? Or will, at the eleventh hour, be discovered that there is not enough money for that and that it be sold to private developers?
Hey presto - money for the council, and no park for the various clubs.
The youth get an all singing all dancing school, but lose their sport facilities.

Duncansby
03-Jul-10, 16:05

Why are you so sure the building will be listed?

PantsMAN
03-Jul-10, 16:07
If you are saying that we cannot believe a word that the Highland Council say regarding funding, then what makes people seem to be so keen to believe every other thing they are telling us regarding their preference for the Bignold Park?

However, the Architects have told us that the site behind the current School is perfectly capable of holding all the features that will be built into the the site at the Bignold Park.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that to pursue the Bignold Park site is going to result in objection/legal challenge and subsequent delays.

I am not saying that we can't believe the council, just that, as you correctly state, things can change.

The P&J today has an article which clearly shows the folly of pursueing a redevelopment of the current school.

I agree that the Bignold could result in delays so lets keep the whole process bowling along.

As far as plans go have a look at these - a scottish company designing schools in England - look closely at the figures for numbers of pupils and the cost. I am informed that the outline sketches already produced are rather old-hat!

http://www.bdp.com/Projects/By-Name/F-L/Fairfield-Secondary-School/

http://www.bdp.com/Projects/By-Name/F-L/Leigh-Academy/?category=18&parentpageid=37

http://www.bdp.com/Projects/By-Name/A-E/Brockington-College/?category=18&parentpageid=37

Let's not sell ourselves short.....

PantsMAN
03-Jul-10, 16:11
So if the new school is built in the bignold Park, are you saying that a new park will be created on the old school site with a protected building in the middle? Wouldn't that increase the overall expenditure? Or will, at the eleventh hour, be discovered that there is not enough money for that and that it be sold to private developers?
Hey presto - money for the council, and no park for the various clubs.
The youth get an all singing all dancing school, but lose their sport facilities.

The 'greenification' of the existing site is an option, but none of us can predict what the financial situation will be in the future - P&J today - Lochaber (partly-rebuilt) High School!

There will be no loss of facilities as there are the existing playing fields behind the school including the all-weather pitch.

Duncansby
03-Jul-10, 16:48
The 'greenification' of the existing site is an option, but none of us can predict what the financial situation will be in the future - P&J today - Lochaber (partly-rebuilt) High School!

There will be no loss of facilities as there are the existing playing fields behind the school including the all-weather pitch.

I think will can all predict that the financial situation is going to be constrained over the next few years. The Scottish Government policy encourages building on previously developed land rather than greenfield and I can't see the money or the desire being there to turn brownfield into greenfield. Surely if the current site will accomodate a new school it makes more sense to develop brownfield and keep greenfield rather than spending a small fortune turning the brownfield into a green site.

scorrie
03-Jul-10, 17:02
The P&J today has an article which clearly shows the folly of pursueing a redevelopment of the current school.

I agree that the Bignold could result in delays so lets keep the whole process bowling along.

I don't see anyone suggesting redevelopment, and as far as I am concerned this option was effectively ruled out at Monday's meeting. The two options are new build on the Bignold Park and new build behind the current school. The option for redevelopment was a totally separate model with a time scale of a year greater than the two new build options. To keep the process "bowling" along would be best achieved by picking the site whose ownership is not open to question. Maybe one day you will grasp that.

scorrie
03-Jul-10, 17:07

Have the Highland Council promised to keep this land for the use of Wick's townspeople?

At Monday's meeting Bill Fernie was asked to either confirm or deny that Pentland Housing had expressed an interest in land at the current school. Mr Fernie declared that he had heard nothing about it.

I would put it to you that, if the Highland Council are trying to do what THEY want with a piece of land that is in questionable ownership, the Highland Council are pretty much guaranteed to do what THEY want with a piece of land they DO own.

PantsMAN
03-Jul-10, 19:49
To keep the process "bowling" along would be best achieved by picking the site whose ownership is not open to question. Maybe one day you will grasp that.

That may well be the case but all the conspiracy theorists seem to think that the Bignold is a 'done deal' regardless of who owns what.

What is sometimes forgotten is that the coucillors have already been elected as our representatives and including representatives from all other areas of HC. As has been pointed out there will be a consultation and then the decision will be made. But the decision will be made by ALL councillors, not just the Wick ones and if officials want to suggest that the Bignold site is best then who knows what will happen. Maybe one day you will realise you don't actually know everything....

scorrie
03-Jul-10, 22:44
That may well be the case but all the conspiracy theorists seem to think that the Bignold is a 'done deal' regardless of who owns what.

What is sometimes forgotten is that the coucillors have already been elected as our representatives and including representatives from all other areas of HC. As has been pointed out there will be a consultation and then the decision will be made. But the decision will be made by ALL councillors, not just the Wick ones and if officials want to suggest that the Bignold site is best then who knows what will happen. Maybe one day you will realise you don't actually know everything....

I DON'T know everything. I simply look at a scenario and weigh up the evidence.

WHY are the Highland Council even looking at the Bignold Park as an option when ownership is obviously a matter of dispute? It is clearly their preferred option.

It is actually a farce that a feasibility study could get as far as it has done (at a cost of £25,000) when one of the potential sites has doubt regarding it's ownership. If the Highland Council has a duty to provide value for money, it is surely common sense to establish ownership first, before wasting money on drawings for a site that may never be used?

If anyone wants to picture a scenario where ownership of the Bignold Park is later challenged and it is found that The Highland Council DON'T own it, I think that there will be a loud sound of the "twit" hitting the fan!! Even if it is determined that the Highland Council DO own the site, how much time and money will have been wasted and how much ill-feeling will have been caused?

Councillors are our representatives but the don't speak for us all on all matters. They will be judged in the future on performances that will unfold in the coming months. I see little evidence so far of any of the Local Councillors paying much heed to the concerns raised by the public. Doff your cap and praise the Highland Council seems to be the clear message.

Lets erect a sign at county line:-

"Welcome to Caithness - Twinned with Sans Cojones"

Dadie
03-Jul-10, 22:50
Is there nowhere else they can build the new school?
Even on the outskirts of Wick.
Or is the old school site and Bignold the only options being looked at.
Surely there is other land that is either owned or can be bought by the highland council!

florence
04-Jul-10, 06:54
By your own statement/logic the funding is not guaranteed for the Bignold Park site either.

The next Scottish Parliament election is on 5th May next year. The Highland Council estimate that they will have made a decision on the site by January of next year. If there is any concern regarding a new regime reneging on a promise made by it's predecessors, then it is only common sense to opt for the site which offers the easiest and swiftest progression to the next stage. Bill Fernie stated at Monday's meeting that The Highland Council funding was guaranteed ad infinitum, while the money from the Scottish Government was good up until 2016. If you are saying that we cannot believe a word that the Highland Council say regarding funding, then what makes people seem to be so keen to believe every other thing they are telling us regarding their preference for the Bignold Park?

If the Bignold Park were the ONLY site capable of holding the new School, I would see the point in accepting that and moving on with whatever reservations we may have put to one side. However, the Architects have told us that the site behind the current School is perfectly capable of holding all the features that will be built into the the site at the Bignold Park.

Maybe we should try to encourage The Highland Council to embrace common sense in the face of certain objection and actually practice what they preach regarding "value for money"

Well said. It was HRC strategy that led to the Bignold inclusion and the uncertainty it presents. A very positive thread PANTSman and an early admission that you're in favour of the Bignold. From this we can assume any support for anything other than the Bignold will be negative. I'm a great believer in balanced discussion working out ones motivation tends to bely how balanced a discussion becomes.

This issue affects my children's future.

PantsMAN
04-Jul-10, 07:24
Well said. It was HRC strategy that led to the Bignold inclusion and the uncertainty it presents. A very positive thread PANTSman and an early admission that you're in favour of the Bignold. From this we can assume any support for anything other than the Bignold will be negative. I'm a great believer in balanced discussion working out ones motivation tends to bely how balanced a discussion becomes.

This issue affects my children's future.

If you look at my first post you will see

All I was saying was that we shouldn't get hung up on any of the two sites until we know ALL the facts.

PantsMAN
04-Jul-10, 07:31
WHY are the Highland Council even looking at the Bignold Park as an option when ownership is obviously a matter of dispute? It is clearly their preferred option.

It is actually a farce that a feasibility study could get as far as it has done (at a cost of £25,000) when one of the potential sites has doubt regarding it's ownership.

I believe that the Bignold option was parachuted, out of the blue, into a stakeholders' meeting in November.

I would ceretainly agree that HC's handling of the whole affair has been at best cack-handed in the way they have dealt with the people of East Caithness.

Let's hope our slogan isn't " Avec une ancienne école secondaire"

katarina
04-Jul-10, 11:58

Whatever the finacial situation, I doubt if money will be available for taking up that option.

katarina
04-Jul-10, 12:07
Have the Highland Council promised to keep this land for the use of Wick's townspeople?

At Monday's meeting Bill Fernie was asked to either confirm or deny that Pentland Housing had expressed an interest in land at the current school. Mr Fernie declared that he had heard nothing about it.

I would put it to you that, if the Highland Council are trying to do what THEY want with a piece of land that is in questionable ownership, the Highland Council are pretty much guaranteed to do what THEY want with a piece of land they DO own.

Now that sounds like a VERY sound reason why the HRC want to build on the BP. Bet my bottom dollar this is the agenda.
But it doesn't matter how much we air our views on this board - wont make a mite of difference. Lets all write to Prince charles!

bagpuss
05-Jul-10, 22:23
other areas which have had new school buildings in Highland didn't pull the old building down- instead it was used for other purposes. eg the old Millburn Academy is now the youth hostel. No doubt that might be what is planned for the existing WHS.

when the concrete problem put the school on a 3 day week in the mid 70's, the old building and the extension (Art etc) were the only viable areas

Venture
06-Jul-10, 16:14
I believe that the Bignold option was parachuted, out of the blue, into a stakeholders' meeting in November.

Yes, we were lead to believe that at the time, but I am now beginning to strongly doubt if it was indeed Councillor Smith who came up with the idea of the Bignold Park just before the Stakeholders Meeting in November.

It has now become apparent that the Harmsworth and the Bignold were both being considered as options by HRC officials, NOT councillors, as far back as SEPTEMBER. So do we have porkies here again or what?[disgust]

Wick66
06-Jul-10, 17:05
I personally think that it is impossible to talk up a new school without discussion about its location. Wick is in desparate need of a new High School. The existing one is quite simply an accident waiting to happen. However using the generalised arguement that its our childrens future that is at stake is possibly too simple.

I live nowhere near the Bignold Park and I no longer play football (its an age thing) but I am personally totally against this site being used. The Bignold is the most used recreational space in Wick, yes by some dog walkers, but more often by football clubs, beth senior and junior and also other individuals. There seems to be a desparation to remove this facility and move them to the existing High School site. This has no changing facilities or suitable building that can replace the much used East End Boys Club building that has had a lot of money donated by a local charity for its improvement and up keep. There has been no information on how the facilities are to be replaced or financed or are the local clubs going to be left to foot the cost.

I also think that our local councilors have done nothing to help the situation. There appears to have been an agenda all along. If they were open and honest (and desisted from letter writing in the press attacking others with opinions) then a lot of the bickering could be avoided. At the meeting on Monday night they were either evasive or uninformed when trying to answer questions.

I have said before in another thread it would make more sense to use one of the threatened primary schools, possibly the South, buy some land around it and develop that site.

Wick66
06-Jul-10, 17:38
Sorry if I have taken this away from the intended track

glaikit
06-Jul-10, 22:00
Yes, we were lead to believe that at the time, but I am now beginning to strongly doubt if it was indeed Councillor Smith who came up with the idea of the Bignold Park just before the Stakeholders Meeting in November.

It has now become apparent that the Harmsworth and the Bignold were both being considered as options by HRC officials, NOT councillors, as far back as SEPTEMBER. So do we have porkies here again or what?[disgust]

Curiouser and curiouser :confused So why are all the cooncillors jumping on that rickety, old bandwagon and why is Mr Smith taking the flak for it??? Could it be that the Bignold was never going to be a viable option and HRC are looking for a "it's all your own fault" excuse when they pull the plug?:eek:

Rheghead
06-Jul-10, 22:07
Wherever it is to be built, let's hope it has ground source heating installed, the best insulation with solar panels and other renewable energy and green initiatives to inspire the kids.

Just don't let councillor Smith near the procurement process for the heating system.:cool:

gollach
06-Jul-10, 22:11
Wherever it is to be built, let's hope it has ground source heating installed, the best insulation with solar panels and other renewable energy and green initiatives to inspire the kids.

Just don't let councillor Smith near the procurement process for the heating system.:cool:

Even if it has greener energy, all heating will be controlled from Inverness to make sure the kids freeze in winter and fry in summer.

Venture
06-Jul-10, 22:45

I have heard a whisper that CHAP have shown an interest in supplying the heating to the new school. Say no more.:roll:

Bobinovich
06-Jul-10, 22:53
http://www.caithness.org/chap/photogallery/photos.htm?3?1

Interesting to note that the Bignold is much closer to the CHAP plant than the current school :eek:

Rheghead
06-Jul-10, 23:04
http://www.caithness.org/chap/photogallery/photos.htm?3?1

Interesting to note that the Bignold is much closer to the CHAP plant than the current school :eek:

Very interesting, I therefore wonder if there is an underlying commercial pressure to locate the school near CHAP?

alanatkie
06-Jul-10, 23:28
oken promise to build 5 new care homes in Highland - cost £30m...

So, if you want to post here please try to limit yourself to posistive posts about a new high school.

Why only positive tho - as all input either positive or negitive should be taken in to consideration!!

scorrie
06-Jul-10, 23:33
I have heard a whisper that CHAP have shown an interest in supplying the heating to the new school. Say no more.:roll:

Strangely, some interest has been expressed in CHAP recently:-

http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/news/newsreleases/2010/May/2010-05-18-04.htm

Wheels within wheels?

PantsMAN
07-Jul-10, 12:20
Why only positive tho - as all input either positive or negitive should be taken in to consideration!!

The thread entitled - "Let's stop the HC from building on the Bignold..." seemed to take care of the negative side of the argument.

However, one does need two sides for a jolly good thread. And I must thank my compadre Scorrie for his contributions thus far.

And this thread is now becoming more interesting now that a CHAP has raised his head - this would account for the nod inthe Bignold's direction in November last year.

PantsMAN
07-Jul-10, 12:51
Out of interest here are quotes from the Audit Scotland report into CHAP, published on 7th June 2010

In relation to the locally based officer who initiated the project, internal audit questioned whether the officer had the appropriate qualifications and skills to take forward a project of this nature.
Although the elected member and officer visits to Finland and the Shetland Islands to inspect district heating systems were intended to inform decision making, it is not evident that the visits were of relevance.
There is evidence that the most senior officer in Property & Architectural Services expressed concerns about the project to senior officer colleagues outwith his department in advance of the council’s approval, but it appears no effective action was taken.
Furthermore, internal audit questioned whether the elected members and officer in attendance possessed the appropriate skills and qualifications.

The full report is available here - this might just prove relevant or another red herring!
http://www.audit-scotland.gov.uk/docs/local/2010/sr_100624_chaps.pdf

Better Out Than In
07-Jul-10, 12:56
A few comments from a resident from outside Wick.

Everyone agrees I think that a new school is needed.

The concept of having this as a school combined with other public facilities seems an excellent idea. In other countries this becomes a social centre not just a place to keep the little horrors locked up during daylight hours. It is also good education for the children as they will have to be a more integral part of society - as long as they are safe. Why not extend this - could we not combine with the proposed new council offices and have one larger more cost effective project?

I think it is detrimental long term to remove an facility like Bignol Park for short term gain - even assuming that the council have the right to do this. Don't kid yourselves about a replacement - once its gone, its gone.

I also don't understand why only two options are being considered - playing fields or Bignol. There is other land around the area. Innovative ideas from projects elsewhere have included an assett swop. So the school and community facility gets built on other available land (hopefully land with a lesser slope to it) and the old property gets sold to a developer and possible this all works out cheaper to tax payer.

Finally do we really want to shut down the existing [new] swimming pool? Seems a waste - I realise this is currently a condition in the grant but could be challenged.

WICKER10
07-Jul-10, 13:12
Out of interest here are quotes from the Audit Scotland report into CHAP, published on 7th June 2010

In relation to the locally based officer who initiated the project, internal audit questioned whether the officer had the appropriate qualifications and skills to take forward a project of this nature.
Although the elected member and officer visits to Finland and the Shetland Islands to inspect district heating systems were intended to inform decision making, it is not evident that the visits were of relevance.
There is evidence that the most senior officer in Property & Architectural Services expressed concerns about the project to senior officer colleagues outwith his department in advance of the council’s approval, but it appears no effective action was taken.
Furthermore, internal audit questioned whether the elected members and officer in attendance possessed the appropriate skills and qualifications.

The full report is available here - this might just prove relevant or another red herring!
http://www.audit-scotland.gov.uk/docs/local/2010/sr_100624_chaps.pdf

Was Cllrs MacNab and Smith not the ones who were shouting at the start of CHAP as to how good it was going to be !
The same Cllrs MacNab and Smith who wish a school on the Bignold Park .
I smell a Rat in this!

Rheghead
07-Jul-10, 13:19
What we need now for a good conspiracy theory is speculation that the preferred biider for ChaP is made up of a consortium of local business men and local councillors who claim to to have expertise and can have an influence on the planning permission of large future customers to the scheme.

glaikit
07-Jul-10, 23:22
What we need now for a good conspiracy theory is speculation that the preferred biider for ChaP is made up of a consortium of local business men and local councillors who claim to to have expertise and can have an influence on the planning permission of large future customers to the scheme.

Oh, I have a feeling of deja vu all of a sudden :eek:

Dadie
08-Jul-10, 00:42
Is there not ground on the outskirts of town that can be used or bought and used?
The further away from fastfood options for lunch the better!
That would solve the bignold park issue and still leave the old school to be used while the build is taking place without safety issues.
Or is that to obvious?

florence
08-Jul-10, 08:22
CHaPs, a very cunning plan. 246 users at approx. £2200 to install beeg radiators and a heat convertor - cost £541000, nice work if you can get it. The heat production part of this scheme did work. Pipes were run all the way to the hospital and across to the Bru, cost approx 1 to 2 million. Construction of large facility approx £600 000. The idea was to produce electricity to be fed to the Grid and CHaP users to be sold a complete energy package, herein lies the CHaPs failure. Operating losses probably in the region of 10 000 a week.

Total assets for a private company to take on approx £200K and an oil burning energy scheme some 6 years from initiation. I would imagine this scheme is being sold for a pound and a private company has plans to instal a completely different scheme, cost 12 million to the tax payer. This scheme will only work with further grants, cost unspecified.

Two things can happen: a company that knows what its doing makes it a success; the company folds after a year and CHaPs is no more. I would like to see this scheme turned into a success but on the condition that media hungry councillors are kept completely out of the picture as its more than evident they had a negative impact on this project.

Venture
08-Jul-10, 09:14
I would like to see this scheme turned into a success but on the condition that media hungry councillors are kept completely out of the picture as its more than evident they had a negative impact on this project.

That could be quite difficult florence seeing as we have councillors as directors of CHaP.

glaikit
08-Jul-10, 09:24
CHaP Put these words in the right order

Horse A Dead Flogging [lol]

PantsMAN
18-Sep-10, 09:16
So, the time is moving closer to when we will hear the decision on our new High School.

Will it not be great for our young people and the community to have such bang-up-to-date resources?

For no longer will our sons and daughters have to make do with an old school.

When you see the new schools in so many other parts of Scotland it is only right that our youngsters enjoy the same high quality.

The idea that all the school needs is a lick of paint and some fillers flies out of the window when you see what can be put together. I may have posted this before but it is worth a second look. Pay close attention to the total costs of some of these projects.
http://www.bdp.com/Sectors/Education/?tab=Projects

Patrick O'Dorz
18-Sep-10, 14:16
CHaP Put these words in the right order

Horse A Dead Flogging [lol]

the words P***-up and brewery spring to mind.