PDA

View Full Version : A dog is for life!

dragonfly
24-Jun-06, 11:24
Sorry folks but have to get this off my chest!

why do people take on a puppy/puppies only to sell them on when they become too big or too much trouble to look after?

Surely as a responsible owner they should look into the breed they are buying, see how big they will become and how much exercise they require and try to work out how much expense they will be on the family income???

I just can't understand anyone who can give away/sell what should be a loved member of the family just because they bought a cute little puppy on a whim

Rant over!

connieb19
24-Jun-06, 11:33

why do people take on a puppy/puppies only to sell them on when they become too big or too much trouble to look after?

Surely as a responsible owner they should look into the breed they are buying, see how big they will become and how much exercise they require and try to work out how much expense they will be on the family income???

I just can't understand anyone who can give away/sell what should be a loved member of the family just because they bought a cute little puppy on a whim

Rant over!Dragonfly, this is sometyhing which really gets my back up. [mad] It's always the same people too. After they get rid of one, it's not long before they have another poor animal. It's usually the same people who then let them breed because they like the cute little puppies and kittens. Not a care in the world about all the unwanted pets that are already out there. These people usually class themselves as animal lovers too..:confused There should be a law against people like this having pets.

changilass
24-Jun-06, 12:36
If it is big dogs folk don't want, you have to hope no one gets a Newfoundland, we have had 2 rescue dogs and finally decided to go for a puppy, he is 6 month old now and weighs 6 stone already lol, but we adore out 2 'wee' boys

Scout
24-Jun-06, 12:50
Hi Room
I agree with what has been said. I have two and they are now 11 years old they do take up your life. You really can't go away for along time. and they do need lots of walk great in the summer but when you have wind snow etc it's not that fun. Still would not give them away would miss them too much :~(

Ann
24-Jun-06, 12:55

Rant over!

Yes I know what you mean. I don't know what life would be like without my dog now. I have been his mum since he was eight weeks old. Having said all that, don't you feel some people enter into parenthood without too much consideration as well?

Like dogs, babies grow up too and are no longer the cuddly, cute, dependant little beings who totally rely on you for everything!:)

P.s. I still love my daughter though!

changilass
24-Jun-06, 13:04
Letter to my pets

Dear Cats and Dogs,

The dishes with the paw print are yours and contain your food. The other dishes are mine and contain my food. Please note, placing a paw print in the middle of my plate and food does not stake a claim for it becoming your food and dish, nor do I find that aesthetically pleasing in the slightest.

The stairway was not designed by NASCAR and is not a racetrack. Beating me to the bottom is not the object. Tripping me doesn't help because I fall faster than you can run.

I cannot buy anything bigger than a king-sized bed. I am very sorry about this. Do not think I will continue sleeping on the couch to ensure your comfort. Dogs and cats can actually curl up in a ball when they sleep. It is not necessary to sleep perpendicular to each other stretched out to the fullest extent possible. I also know that sticking tails straight out and having tongues hanging out the other end to maximize space is nothing but sarcasm.

For the last time, there is not a secret exit from the bathroom. If by some miracle I beat you there and manage to get the door shut, it is not necessary to claw, whine, meow, try to turn the knob, or get your paw under the edge and try to pull the door open. I must exit through the same door I entered.

I have been using the bathroom for years--canine or feline attendance is not mandatory.

The proper order is kiss me, then go smell the other dog or cat's butt. I cannot stress this enough!

To pacify you my dear pets, I have posted the following message on our front door:

Rules for Non-Pet Owners Who Visit and Like to Complain About Our Pets:
1. They live here. You don't.
2. If you don't want hair on your clothes, stay off the furniture.
(That's why they call it "fur"niture ..)
3. I like my pets a lot better than I like most people.
4. To you, it's an animal. To me, he/she is an adopted son/daughter who is short, hairy, walks on all fours, and does not speak clearly.

Remember: Dogs and cats are better than kids because they: eat less, don't ask for money all the time, are easier to train, usually come when called, never drive your car, don't hang out with drug-using friends, don't smoke or drink, don't worry about having to buy the latest fashions, don't wear your clothes, don't need a gazillion dollars for college, and if they get pregnant, you can sell their children

Ann
24-Jun-06, 13:39
changilass, brilliant! Ann

obiron
24-Jun-06, 13:47
very funny changilass.

Elenna
24-Jun-06, 13:51
:D That is great, changilass! Very typical of the relationship we have with our own pets here.

I've had several dogs over the years, with all the joys that can bring, but wasn't really wanting another when my eldest daughter brought home a puppy three years ago. The daughter has since moved out on her own, but the dog is still here with us, and we wouldn't give him up for anything!

It makes me very sad when people mistreat their pets (and children...and one another...). There is so much selfishness, cruelty, and heartlessness in the world :(.

brandy
24-Jun-06, 13:52
i still miss jake.. and its been nearly two years since we had to give him away.. reason being baby became allergic to him.. and between vets groomers and drs.. there was nothing that could be done!
but i still remeber the dr. saying to me.. you mean you still havent gotten rid of your dog?
i was so mad!
after a few months of fighting the allergies and not having any luck.. we gave him away to a couple from caithness.org
what makes it worse is how much the kids loved him.. my oldest went around calling him for weeks..
my neighbor has two dogs and they love them. holly "the puppy* comes and visits us reg. as she is small enough not to flatten the kids..
the baby can actually be around dogs now for short periods without his whole body turning into hives so im holding out hope that one day in a few years.. we may be able to have a dog.. at the moment we have 3 cat a bird and 4 mollies and a catfish.. named blair!
as peach(cat) is 6 now i dont know how she would cope with a dog in a few years .. so may wait a lot longer *smiles* shes my first baby after all! *G*
we are really missing our ginger tom *grins* hes on vacation next door at his "harem* .. when we had him dressed last week.. he had complications.. with his surgery.. and started bleeding.. as hes not allowed out.. or needs the stress and trauma of two toddlers my lovley neighbors are spoiling and pampering him during his recovery.. its not easy having such a large family.. exspecially when they are all crying mewing and chirping for food at the same time.. and you dont know who to feed.. *G* and you give the kids cat food the cats bird food and the finch.. mash and tatties *Winks*
but its worth it!

cuddlepop
24-Jun-06, 15:15
Oh Brandy that must have been so hard to part with the dog but like you say perhapse the wee one willgrow out of it soon.
My eldest daughter wanted a puppy which was cute and cuddley now thre years down the line its my other two kids that take it out.She still says its her dog when it suits.Too say i'm mad at her is being polite.She still doesn't see whats she's done is so wrong.Fume.....[evil]

unicorn
24-Jun-06, 15:24
Sadly it's not just dogs that suffer this fate, too many people buy on a whim then decide they can't be bothered with cleaning walking etc. Just another symptom of our throwaway society.

neepnipper
24-Jun-06, 15:38
I wouldn't be without my dogs, they are everything to me and I know the pup I've just got will be loved and cared for by me and my husband for the rest of his life.

It's often hard work but always rewarding.

I would always say to people think long and hard before getting a dog as sometimes people don't realise what a commitment they are, as can be seen by the number of dogs needing homes on here.

coastown
24-Jun-06, 16:27
i had a golden labrador for 12 years, had to get him put to sleep, it was hard but you have to be cruel to be kind as they say, i would love another lab , but i am out working all day and it wouldnt be fair on the dog being shut in the house all day.

dragonfly
24-Jun-06, 17:06
we too have a lab, whose now 10 and getting on, but can't imagine life without a dog so are getting another at the end of July and can't wait for the fun to start.

I know it will be hard work and that a few bits of furniture will get eaten along the way but I would never ever think of getting rid because it doesn't fit with my life, my life fits around my family which includes my pets

doyle
24-Jun-06, 17:24
That was brill changilass! I am another beloved pet owner. I have 2 dogs, one aged 1 and the other aged 2. I hate to think of life without them. We love them to bits. They are such important members of our family. We even bought a caravan so we could take them on holiday with us! Mad I know but what the heck! They must be two of the most expensive dogs in Caithness!! Anyone else done anything daft or OTT for their pets?

changilass
24-Jun-06, 19:11
That was brill changilass! I am another beloved pet owner. I have 2 dogs, one aged 1 and the other aged 2. I hate to think of life without them. We love them to bits. They are such important members of our family. We even bought a caravan so we could take them on holiday with us! Mad I know but what the heck! They must be two of the most expensive dogs in Caithness!! Anyone else done anything daft or OTT for their pets?

You think yours are expensive, we changed cars an house so we had enough room for our 2 newfies and we are now in the process of trying to get planning permission from the council so we can put up a higher fence, the puppy can now get over a meter fence, which is aparently all we are allowed without permission, if not I suppose we will just have to think about moving again. lol

changilass
24-Jun-06, 19:13
we too have a lab, whose now 10 and getting on, but can't imagine life without a dog so are getting another at the end of July and can't wait for the fun to start.

I know it will be hard work and that a few bits of furniture will get eaten along the way but I would never ever think of getting rid because it doesn't fit with my life, my life fits around my family which includes my pets

I have a 6 month old newfie who will happily come round and chew down your walls if you are thinking of doing any diy:lol:

Ann
24-Jun-06, 20:28

Not me personally but once, in the gardens at Dunvegan Castle, I met two ladies pushing a pram with an elderly collie in it! They liked to go on outings and the dog always went too but recently had become rather infirm and not so able to get around, hence the pram! I thought it was a brilliant idea!

porshiepoo
24-Jun-06, 20:42
I get what you're all saying but I think I know who this thread is aimed at.
Can I just say (If I'm right about who you think it is) that this person isn't giving away or selling yet another dog, nor is it one that was taken on and gotten bored of.

This dog is actually the same dog that was being rehomed before. The person rehoming her didn't find a suitable home the last time around and then was worried about her weight - it seemed to fluctuate - so they wanted to get on top of this before re advertising her.
I do know the people I'm referring to and I know they would really like to keep the dog in question - they have the time, money and love - but unfortunately the dog just will not settle with the sheep around.

If I'm wrong about what has started this thread then I apologise but I just wanted to say something if I'm correct.

I am owned by a great big slobbery great dane :D , the stalagtites that are formed from his dried saliva are er........ well gross actually, but it's amusing to watch everyone retch when they catch sight of a slobering dog bounding over to them .lol. (Imagine a huge Beethoven crossed with Hooch)

changilass
24-Jun-06, 21:27
I am owned by a great big slobbery great dane :D , the stalagtites that are formed from his dried saliva are er........ well gross actually, but it's amusing to watch everyone retch when they catch sight of a slobering dog bounding over to them .lol. (Imagine a huge Beethoven crossed with Hooch)

Don't need to imagine, mine are both the same, people come up to them when we are out for walks, the first thing we do is warn them about the slobbers, folk tend to say not a problem, we really do try hard not to laugh when they get covered, but don't always manage to stiflle it, sorry to anyone who has met us along the way, but they really are lovely 'wee' boys, honest.....:lol:

Foxy
24-Jun-06, 21:48
When people go to buy a puppy don't they look at the size of the puppy's mother and realise that the puppy will grow to that size. I am an animal lover but I look at some of the ads for pets needing to be rehomed and they say they are good with this and that and I think if there that great why are you not keeping them. I have six cats which two are rescue cats and two dogs ones a german pointer who is 8 years old and i've just bought a jack russell puppy and I wouldn't be without one of my animals they are all loved to bits. :)

porshiepoo
24-Jun-06, 22:55
Don't need to imagine, mine are both the same, people come up to them when we are out for walks, the first thing we do is warn them about the slobbers, folk tend to say not a problem, we really do try hard not to laugh when they get covered, but don't always manage to stiflle it, sorry to anyone who has met us along the way, but they really are lovely 'wee' boys, honest.....:lol:

You have danes? :D

LOL. I know what you mean. People are horified when they see it aren't they! And by the time you've managed to wipe the saliva off them and clean it off the dog, the danes then managed to do it's other trick and has leaned so hard against them that they're on the floor. Funny! Then you let them off the lead for a run and they play chicken with everyone. Now that is even more hilarious! lol. Adults all huddling together as the dane rushes at them, actually thinking that that will save them. Hahahaha. Nope, they're going down! lol.
It's so hard not to laugh at them.