PDA

View Full Version : Do judges inhabit the same world as us?

Anfield
29-Jun-10, 11:21
There is an ongoing court case in Bolton, England about a man who intimidated witnesses over a house which was firebombed and resulted in the deaths of two people. Story Here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/10431742.stm) To date no one has been convicted for the the murder of these people

The guy who was accused of intimidation pleaded guilty and was released on bail for reports prior to sentencing. When the case came up for sentencing he again failed to appear and a warrant was issued for his arrest.
He was re-arrested him the following day and appeared in court on the 19 June and he was released on bail again.
Yesterday he was due to appear for sentencing and surprise surprise he failed to turn up.
The judge was apoplectic blaming the CPS for "not putting up a case to remand him in gaol.

Now I may be missing something here, but don't the defence have to make an application to a judge for an accused to be released on bail? and could the judge have simply refused said application.

pegasus
29-Jun-10, 16:55
There is an ongoing court case in Bolton, England about a man who intimidated witnesses over a house which was firebombed and resulted in the deaths of two people. Story Here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/10431742.stm) To date no one has been convicted for the the murder of these people

The guy who was accused of intimidation pleaded guilty and was released on bail for reports prior to sentencing. When the case came up for sentencing he again failed to appear and a warrant was issued for his arrest.
He was re-arrested him the following day and appeared in court on the 19 June and he was released on bail again.
Yesterday he was due to appear for sentencing and surprise surprise he failed to turn up.
The judge was apoplectic blaming the CPS for "not putting up a case to remand him in gaol.

Now I may be missing something here, but don't the defence have to make an application to a judge for an accused to be released on bail? and could the judge have simply refused said application.

the judge has a duty to protect the public. bail ought to thave been refused

sandyr1
29-Jun-10, 18:51
The Judge is just that ...A Judge.
He hears from both side...I think the CPS is the Crown Prosecution Service?.. we have Crown Attorneys here...
So, each side, the CPS and the Defence, makes their submission and the Judge.... JUDGES. He/She is likely covering their........... by saying what was said, but there are the two sides and representation is submitted by each.

NickInTheNorth
29-Jun-10, 19:01
In general there is a presumption in favour of bail unless a case can be proved showing bail should not be granted for a good reason.

If the CPS don't put that forward then bail will be granted.

Remember everyone is innocent until proven guilty, and imprisonment is only used as a last resort before guilt is proven.

Anfield
29-Jun-10, 20:31
Whilst I accept that the CPS erred in not putting forward a case why bail should have been refused , I also think that Judge should have showed some common sense by refusing the application for bail on the grounds that accused had already breached previous bail conditions i.e. by failing to turn up for a court hearing.

ducati
30-Jun-10, 05:51
Send for DOG! :cool:

Anfield
30-Jun-10, 11:27
Send for DOG! :cool:

"Send for DOG"

?

ducati
30-Jun-10, 13:23
The Bouuuntyyy Hunteeeer

Anfield