PDA

View Full Version : The right to Bear Arms...Chicago, USA

sandyr1
28-Jun-10, 18:02
New ruling by the US High Court......

Chicago had banned Handgun ownership some years ago, but the US High Court today found that ban was unconstitutional, and will allow the average Joe to pack a gun for protection.
Chicago population approx 2 million.....
Murders .....2009.....458
By gun......370
And then of course you have all the related Criminal Offences involving guns....the Woundings...No stats!
Approx 10,000 homicides per year by firearm across the United States plus woundings...
So Caithness is not such a bad place to live.....This is my positive post!

Alan16
28-Jun-10, 18:10
New ruling by the US High Court......

Chicago had banned Handgun ownership some years ago, but the US High Court today found that ban was unconstitutional, and will allow the average Joe to pack a gun for protection.

Perhaps I've misread the news article on this, but that isn't actually what it means. I believe the actual result of the ruling is that a federal appeals court will now have to re-examine it's previous ruling, which will eventually result in the current law being changed, but for now the current law still stands, and it is still illegal to own a handgun in Chicago.

Also your thread title just reminded me of something a friend wrote: "See, I would use two teddy bear hand puppets for solace, myself. Then I could have threeway conversations with them! And if anyone took the piss out of me, I could kill them with my bear hands!"

sandyr1
28-Jun-10, 18:55
Perhaps I've misread the news article on this, but that isn't actually what it means. I believe the actual result of the ruling is that a federal appeals court will now have to re-examine it's previous ruling, which will eventually result in the current law being changed, but for now the current law still stands, and it is still illegal to own a handgun in Chicago.

Also your thread title just reminded me of something a friend wrote: "See, I would use two teddy bear hand puppets for solace, myself. Then I could have threeway conversations with them! And if anyone took the piss out of me, I could kill them with my bear hands!"

Took the info directly off CNN.. A News release, but somehow I am unable to attach it....Don't see anywhere the Fed Appeals Court mentioned....The prohibition was found to be unconstitutional period.....check it out....
And the Title...pray tell me how you would word same...perhaps for the next time/..and 'solace' and 'pissing' really don't seem to gel that well!
I mention it, as recently there was a Thread here on Guns...and how nice Caithness is in comparison.
Over 2 U

My mistake...It wasn't Joe...It was Otis.

Alan16
28-Jun-10, 19:07
Took the info directly off CNN.. A News release, but somehow I am unable to attach it....Don't see anywhere the Fed Appeals Court mentioned....The prohibition was found to be unconstitutional period.....check it out....
And the Title...pray tell me how you would word same...perhaps for the next time/..and 'solace' and 'pissing' really don't seem to gel that well!
I mention it, as recently there was a Thread here on Guns...and how nice Caithness is in comparison.
Over 2 U

My mistake...It wasn't Joe...It was Otis.

Well this taken from the Chicago Tribune:

The 5-4 decision reversed a ruling that had upheld Chicago (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/neighborhoods.html?region=1435491)'s ban on handguns and all but declared the 1982 ordinance unconstitutional. The justices sent the case back to Chicago (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/neighborhoods.html?region=1435491) for a lower court to issue the final decision, so the city's ban remains in effect for now.

Full article: http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/06/united-states-supreme-court-scotus-gun-control-rifle-ban-chicago-police-mayor-richard-daley-nra-second-2nd-amendment.html

So for now it is still illegal to own a handgun in Chicago.

As for the thread title I merely mentioned that it reminded me of a something a friend said that I found amusing.

sandyr1
28-Jun-10, 19:17
So for now it is still illegal to own a handgun in Chicago.

As for the thread title I merely mentioned that it reminded me of a something a friend said that I found amusing.[/quote]

OK...I stand corrected. In the News Release copied by CNN, there was no mention of sending it back......I reread it and there is nothing to indicate that, but I guess that is the direction it has to take...perhaps it was an abreviated version, but did consist of quite a long story.
Charlton Heston would be proud today!