PDA

View Full Version : Embrace life- always wear a seatbelt

Fluff
28-Jun-10, 17:57
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-8PBx7isoM

No nasties or horrid images, a different approach to seatbelts.

Venture
28-Jun-10, 18:03
Brilliantly done. Thanks for sharing Fluff.:)

Iffy
28-Jun-10, 18:18
My Dad hardly ever wears his seatbelt!

But, once, about 10 years ago, he had an extremely bad crash, where he had to be cut out of his car (a total write off - the whole front of his car was like an accordion!!) by firemen. The only thing that had saved him, was, for once, he actually was wearing his seat-belt - otherwise he'd have gone straight through the windscreen and................!!!!!!

Duncansby
28-Jun-10, 18:18
Brilliant film, highly effective. Just goes to show that you don't have to go for the shock factor to put across a safety message.

Leanne
28-Jun-10, 18:36
I love that advert - it's just so nice.

There is someone working for the government ad campaign that is an absolute genius at the mo. Has anyone seen the holiday insurance on set at the check-in in the airport? Class!

John Little
28-Jun-10, 18:48
Excellent ad.

My belt saved me 2 years ago.

Always wear one.

Leanne
28-Jun-10, 18:55
Found it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a--4H5vVpZg&feature=related

I really like this one I stumbled across too :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1xLY15uSQY

RecQuery
28-Jun-10, 20:13
Why not wear two seatbelts, a helmet and pads? Perhaps carry an elephant gun just to be prepared?

Leanne
28-Jun-10, 20:47
Why not wear two seatbelts, a helmet and pads? Perhaps carry an elephant gun just to be prepared?

Why not be such an ass?

bekisman
28-Jun-10, 22:05

Hmm - obviously not experienced the result of a head-on without a belt..

I initially did this post years ago..

Seat belts - they do save lives - I was in the Fire Service when legislation came in on January 31, 1983. Up until that time it was usual to drive up with the appliance to an RTA (Road Traffic Accident) get into the fend-off position and you'd make a guess as to whether it was fatal, 9 times out of ten it usually was. After the date the law came in we were finding a number of times that what we would have expected as a fatal, would discover the driver/passenger badly knocked around, but still alive. It was a while later that rear belts came in.

Of course, not everyone agreed that it made sense to put a belt on - often it was the younger lads who thought it was a sign of being hard not to wear one. (sad gits)
One evening the bells went down and we were called out to an RTA on a dual-carriageway about a mile from the Station, we discovered two lads had been racing along the carriageway, there was a rise in the surface and just beyond was the solid concrete wall of a roundabout with a pedestrian walkway underneath - they had got smack bang into this, the passenger was still in the car, badly lacerated by glass, and a few broken ribs.
There was no sign of the driver, but his side of the windscreen was missing, so we presumed he'd gone through the window.. Sure enough rushing up and looking over the wall down into the pedestrian walkway underneath, could make out a form lying on the raised flower beds, he was moving.
I went down the side of the carriageway into the walkway and up onto the flower beds, whilst my colleagues dealt with the smashed vehicle and the passenger. By now the Police and Ambulance were in attendance. I helped the ambulance bloke up onto the flowerbed so he could attend to this chap. Just then a mate calls down "Pete, has that bloke only got one arm"? by now the ambulance man had cut off the blokes shirt and indeed he did only have one arm, it was difficult to see in the light there, but his left arm was missing from its socket - and the strange thing was, there was no blood.
A few minutes later I handed over to another fire fighter and I went back up to the vehicle, where one of our blokes was just retrieving a severed arm which was in the well of the car - again no blood - shortly after we ran around the nearby houses getting bags of peas etc and putting them in bin bags and putting this around the arm - the ambulance soon shot off to the hospital but they were unable to reattach it.
My point is it turned out this driver was one of those prats that just looped the seatbelt over his shoulder without clicking it in - this way the cops think he's wearing it, the force of going through the window and the nylon seatbelt had cauterised the ends of his arm and socket!

Jan 30 2003: Seat belts are a proven way of reducing the severity of injuries. The government has estimated that since seat belt wearing was made compulsory in 1983 it has reduced casualties by at least 370 deaths and 7000 serious injuries per year for front seat belts and 70 deaths and 1000 serious injuries for rear seat belts (DETR 1997).

I never move without a seat belt, or my family and me grandkids (all ten) are certainly secured as per the current regulations! (and that's without two seatbelts, a helmet and pads,or an elephant gun)

The Angel Of Death
28-Jun-10, 22:14
Seen that clip a few months ago its brilliant simple but really effective a different take on the seatbelt message rather than your running the risk of getting spread over the car road wall etc