PDA

View Full Version : Jobless people may be forced to move home to get a job

Anfield
27-Jun-10, 17:10
According to reports, Unemployed people living in council homes could be offered incentives to move to areas where there are jobs, the work and pensions secretary has said. IDS Story
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10426714.stm)
But what if people don't want to move to China or India?

Alan16
27-Jun-10, 17:22
According to reports, Unemployed people living in council homes could be offered incentives to move to areas where there are jobs, the work and pensions secretary has said. IDS Story

I was under the impression that they would be moving people around inside the UK... Anyway, I'm far from a fan of this coalition government, but this idea doesn't seem to ludicrous...

Sara Jevo
27-Jun-10, 18:39
Lol . . .

Thing is, the title of your thread contradicts what's in your post.

On the one hand, you say people will be forced.

On the other, you say people will offered incentives to move to places where there are jobs.

People shouldn't be penalised because there are no jobs where they live. But I can't see anything wrong in giving grants to move to where there are jobs, so long as it doesn't leave ghettos behind.

DeHaviLand
27-Jun-10, 18:51
Just Anfield being an arse again! Like you Sara, I couldnt find anything in the article that says people will be "forced" to move. Once again I find myself wondering about Anfields reading and comprehension disability.

Anfield, you are rapidly becoming a tedious little bore. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one sick of your putrid propaganda and disinformation.

S&LHEN
27-Jun-10, 18:52
Totally Delighted
I think its a good idea theres nothing more depressing than unemployment and not being able to get houses where there is jobs !!

I was under the impression that they would be moving people around inside the UK... Anyway, I'm far from a fan of this coalition government, but this idea doesn't seem to ludicrous...

Gronnuck
27-Jun-10, 19:20
On the face of it a good idea but the issues are much more complex than Iain Duncan Smith’s sound bites. I can't see it myself. People already move through choice if they can find the right job elsewhere and their family commitments allow them to.

Targeting tenants of only social housing could be seen as discriminatory.

This latest announcement just underlines the failure of the previous governments to put any energy into regenerating whole areas of the country after the decline of British Industry.
Surely the most appropriate solution is to create more jobs around the country instead of only in the South of England? :eek:

If we take things to their logical conclusion the majority of the population will move to the South East of England, we’ll all live in high rise flats and go to work on public transport while the rest of the country gets covered in wind farms from coast to coast. :confused

glaikit
27-Jun-10, 19:22
Well I suppose it's better than 'the evil one', Tebbit. He told you to get on your bike; didnae even gie ye the bike[lol]

Tubthumper
27-Jun-10, 19:37
...British Industry... Wow, there's a blast from the past and no mistake!
There's a lot of folk on here who won't remember it though. Like The Herbs, white dog poop and the SLR.

S&LHEN
27-Jun-10, 19:52
eh .... who? :lol: x

Wow, there's a blast from the past and no mistake!
There's a lot of folk on here who won't remember it though. Like The Herbs, white dog poop and the SLR.

The Drunken Duck
27-Jun-10, 19:53
Dont be too hard on Anfield, he is just sticking up for his home city.

If this idea is taken on most of the population would have to relocate.

John Little
27-Jun-10, 20:56
When I was a kid we moved every 4-5 years as my Dad changed his job. And the people we knew did it too.

You go where the job is.

I did it too.

Nowt wrong with that - is there?

bekisman
27-Jun-10, 21:52
Wow, there's a blast from the past and no mistake!

Sir, Sir, I remember 7.62?

shazzap
27-Jun-10, 21:53

lol [lol].....

John Little
27-Jun-10, 22:00
lol [lol].....

Yes.

You are the sharpest of us I think.

It was a joke - and now I see it.

Thankyou.

shazzap
27-Jun-10, 22:06
Yes.

You are the sharpest of us I think.

It was a joke - and now I see it.

Thankyou.

Your welcome.;)

ducati
27-Jun-10, 22:16
Well I suppose it's better than 'the evil one', Tebbit. He told you to get on your bike; didnae even gie ye the bike[lol]

No he didn't. He said his dad got on his bike and looked for work :eek:

sids
27-Jun-10, 22:46
Well God forbid that the jobless are forced to move their arse.

sandyr1
27-Jun-10, 23:09

Canada allows all expenses involved with a move to be tax deductible as long as it's over I think 50km.....
And sometimes people have to move for work, promotion or a better way of life!

sandyr1
27-Jun-10, 23:13
Lol . . .

Thing is, the title of your thread contradicts what's in your post.

On the one hand, you say people will be forced.

On the other, you say people will offered incentives to move to places where there are jobs.

People shouldn't be penalised because there are no jobs where they live. But I can't see anything wrong in giving grants to move to where there
are jobs, so long as it doesn't leave ghettos behind.

Why wouldn't people have to move to get work? If they can stay in a work dormant area, and there is work in other parts would they be paid to sit at home? Is that OK?

Tubthumper
27-Jun-10, 23:14
In this country now, many people see it as the task of the country to find them gainful occupation, including arranging the training & education, travel, childcare, motivation, ongoing motivation, employment tribunals, medical assessments for a sore back, and to reimburse the individual for the time and trouble they have to go to.

Oh, and to ensure quality work that they like.

It's great here, Sandy, you should come over.

S&LHEN
27-Jun-10, 23:29
Again an arrogant/ignorant comment, try living in the real world and come down off your high horse before you fall down, have a look at the economy and dont lablel everyone as the same, Every individual circumstance is diffrent its just that you refuse to see this. There is nothing wrong with people asking for help when its needed,

In this country now, many people see it as the task of the country to find them gainful occupation, including arranging the training & education, travel, childcare, motivation, ongoing motivation, employment tribunals, medical assessments for a sore back, and to reimburse the individual for the time and trouble they have to go to.

S&LHEN
27-Jun-10, 23:32
Out of order! your making out that people that are jobless are lazy and not looking for work, Well spend a few days in the job centre and you ll see what the economy is like.

Well God forbid that the jobless are forced to move their arse.

squidge
27-Jun-10, 23:43
If you are out of work and on jobseekers allowance how do you afford to move to get work? The bottom line is you cant.

Lets jump back in time

Manpower Services Commission Jobcentres 1986 - Employment Transfer Scheme. It paid moving costs nd allowances for unemployed people who wanted to move to take up a job offer - scrapped by the tory government. ITs not just flares and platform soles that come back in fashion.

Hey ho :roll:

Tubthumper
27-Jun-10, 23:44
Again an arrogant/ignorant comment, try living in the real world and come down off your high horse before you fall down, have a look at the economy and dont lablel everyone as the same, Every individual circumstance is diffrent its just that you refuse to see this. There is nothing wrong with people asking for help when its needed,
Oh please! Did I label everyone the same? Did I actually say anywhere that all cases were the same? Did I say there was anything wrong with help when its needed? No. There is nothing wrong with it. And there's nothing wrong with being unemployed when there are genuine reasons. But do you seriously doubt the substantial number of folk in this country for whom the concept of 'working for a living' is alien?
I've been on benefits. And I've worked hard to make damn sure it won't happen again. That's my pact with my country, and I have no qualms about paying taxes and NI contributions to support those who need help. I just don't like bailing out lazy sods who take a loan of the system.
If I was a tad sarcy, I apologise. But please get off your self-righteous high horse. ;)

sids
27-Jun-10, 23:50
Out of order! your making out that people that are jobless are lazy and not looking for work, Well spend a few days in the job centre and you ll see what the economy is like.

So can you be a jobseeker, but only seeking jobs in Wick?

Any factory in the south can do without staff, because they're all up in Wick, claiming "Jobseekers' Allowance."

squidge
27-Jun-10, 23:55
Of course you can be a jobseeker and only looking for jobs in the area in which you live in... Why is that not acceptable?

We cant expect that all jobseekers must be available for all jobs all over the country - thats completely unfair.

sandyr1
28-Jun-10, 00:03

Tks for the offer. I was born and brought up in Caithness and left when I was 19...just a couple of years ago..it seems to me!
I know that people perhaps don't like my comments on this issue, but in the Western World there are no such perks....You want to live...you work! Yes, we do have some Social Assistance and Unemployment Insurance, but if you want to get something you work! My big surprise really was the 1.7 million vehicles, Road fund tax, driving lessons given to the populace over a 30 year period for...... free...or as I was corrected... not free...the Mobility Program paid for that....but it was free!
Anyway visiting is fine for me....

sids
28-Jun-10, 00:06
Why is that not acceptable?

Because that might not be where the jobs are.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if any one preferred to be idle in Wick when they could be working somewhere else.

squidge
28-Jun-10, 00:11
Oh right Sids - however - how do you think that a man with a wife a family an elderly mother who relies on him to do her shopping and take her bins out, children at school coming up to do highers, a house that he has to pay a mortgage on, a car that is on its last legs and - because he is out of work, no chance of getting a loan moves to Edinburgh to work in a bar?

Ancient Mariner
28-Jun-10, 00:32
Moved from Glasgow in 1970s to Caithness because there was no work south. Moved from Caithness to Glasgow 6 years ago because there was no suitable work in north.

The burroo were no help whatsover, I did not match their profile and they could offer me nothing.

Tried not to give me benefits as I was white middle class and owned my own home, just because I had worked out of the country at sea.

Had to contact the Thurso numpties boss in Newcastle just to get basics.

So I do not see what is wrong with getting assistance to move where there is work.[evil]

sweetpea
28-Jun-10, 00:37
Oh right Sids - however - how do you think that a man with a wife a family an elderly mother who relies on him to do her shopping and take her bins out, children at school coming up to do highers, a house that he has to pay a mortgage on, a car that is on its last legs and - because he is out of work, no chance of getting a loan moves to Edinburgh to work in a bar?

Lucky you live near your elderley relatives.

sandyr1
28-Jun-10, 01:04

Wow..Utopia....I can counter all your arguements.....e.g.....went to London from Caithness and had NO car. Kids changed Schools as I changed positions in Canada. etc etc etc. And what is wrong with working in a bar.
I arrived in Canada and had to go back to Minimum Wage! But having gone to Lybster School I was OK!!! Made my way up the ladder, so to speak...
A word does come into play...'spoiled'!
And can the Country afford this nowadays...I kind of doubt it, and am not being...difficult.....just the facts Maaaaam!

Sara Jevo
28-Jun-10, 06:53
I dont think anyone is arguing that unemployment is a good thing, Sandy.

It destroys self-esteem, it can create dependencies and the state ends up paying a "wage" without any productivity.

But perhaps not everyone has your capacity and determination to travel huge distances to find alternative emloyment.

The benefit is a safety net in times of trouble for those who cannot obtain work.

No, the argument is whether the state adopts a callous approach or a compassionate approach to enable individuals get back into work.

If it is too compassionate, people take advantage and sponge. If it is too callous, it adds to the misery and suffering.

There is a balance to be struck. My worry is the Tories will turn this into some sort of ideological crusade because of their inherent bias against people who claim benefit.

cuddlepop
28-Jun-10, 08:27
On paper,like everything else it would appear an excellent idea.But....

Now remember if you visit Skye in the winter the lights will be off as everyone is away to the central belt for their winter work.;)

squidge
28-Jun-10, 08:54
Lucky you live near your elderley relatives.

I dont - and just for you here are the facts sandyr1 lol

I moved from Lancashire to Caithness with my job and I moved from Wick to Inverness to find work after my marriage ended and I needed to work. My elderly relatives live either in the North of England or in France. I know FINE well how you can move kids and adapt and how it can be a positive move and I would do it all again. However I am smart enough to understand that is not an option for everyone.

I absolutely agree that if a family or a person who is receiving benefits wishes to move to take up an offer of a job elsewhere int he country they should be enabled to do so and help should be available to make that happen.

What was being suggested in sids post is that it is WRONG for people to only want to work within daily travelling of where they live. That is what I object to. It is frankly ignorant and insulting to suggest that people are idle because they dont want to move hundreds of miles to find work and I see it time and time again on this forum and Its the "I did it so anyone who doesnt want to do as i do must just be lazy and stupid" mentality.

A couple of issues that might impact on the "get on your bike" brigade...

The majority of work is in London and the South East.

Where do people live? Social housing is not available at the drop of a hat for anyone at all - even those moving for work. Buying particularly in the south east is out of a lot of people's reach and private rentals are expensive and the government is reducing the amount paid in housing benefits. As an example. When i moved to Inverness - even though i had a job all the council could offer in the way of housing was a scatter flat or bed and breakfast. That would have meant me and my three children being in a grotty bed and breakfast whilst trying to start a new school and whilst i was trying to start a new stressful job. This was not an option. I was lucky i found a reasonably priced privately rented house where i still live but it took me a year to be able to do that.

If people move out of an area of low emplyment what happens to that area? Its taken many years to undo the damage the last tory government did to areas like merseyside and actually get some investment back there. Do we just ignore areas like these, move all the people out and turn the lights off?

What happens then if the jobs market picks up? Do we then complain that "immigrants" are filling posts that we cant fill because people have moved out and found work elsewhere.

The economic make up of our country needs to change to encourage regeneration and investment in places outwith the south east of London. We often complain that organisations dont do enough to encourage inward investment into Caithness to develop job opportunities, in fact thats been in the news lately. Why bother we could just put the 1411 (Claimant count May 2010) on buses and take them to london.:roll:

Finally i have siad it before and i will say it again. The VAST majority of people who are claiming benefits want to work. Full stop. There is only a small minority who actively avoid working. Where we need to start to tackle this is by reducing fraud, those people who BREAK THE LAW and claim benefits they are not entitled to. NOT by targetting people rightfully claiming benefits to help them live whilst they negotiate a difficult period in their lives. These people need support to find work not a big stick to beat them with for being so bone idle as to get themselves out of work to start with.

They need HIE and their like to ensure that where there is inward investment there is a clear link up between the incentives offered to companies and the jobs they create going to local people. There needs to be quality training for people out of work that isnt about mickey mouse courses that dont give people the right skills to get work. There needs to be proper work based programmes to give people experience and references to offer to emplyers. Quality programmes which are run by people who arent simply wanting to make money out of providing rubbish for unemployed people who cant say no cos they get their money stopped. There needs to be proper advertising of vacancies so that all jobs aren't filled on the nod and the wink.

So buses for benefits - sounds like a winner to me - not

Angela
28-Jun-10, 09:02
Wow..Utopia....I can counter all your arguements.....e.g.....went to London from Caithness and had NO car. Kids changed Schools as I changed positions in Canada. etc etc etc. And what is wrong with working in a bar.
I arrived in Canada and had to go back to Minimum Wage! But having gone to Lybster School I was OK!!! Made my way up the ladder, so to speak...
A word does come into play...'spoiled'!
And can the Country afford this nowadays...I kind of doubt it, and am not being...difficult.....just the facts Maaaaam!

Not everyone's in the same situation, Sandy.

Back in the early 1900s my five great uncles all left Caithness to find work and make a new life in Canada. At the same time my grandparents moved down to Leith so my grandad could start a job with the Leith police.

My own father came down from Ross-shire to Edinburgh to study at the Dick Vet and ended up working in.....Warrington! Not his place of choice, but that was where the work was.

However, all these people were in their 20s. Not so easy when you're older I'd say.

When our business collapsed (my OH was 50, I was 44) we had to move into a privately rented flat and immediately got jobs working for other people, at the minimum wage. It never occurred to us to try to claim any sort of benefits.

But then six years ago I was widowed and a couple of years later I had a life threatening illness. The long term effects mean that I'm unable to do paid work -it's been a struggle to gradually learn to manage daily life without having a paid carer. The NHS saved my life -but presumably not just so that I would be hounded by folk saying I was well enough to work when I wasn't.

I've hated having to claim benefits -it's demeaning and humiliating, and despite what folk seem to think, not at all easy -and I do object when I find I'm labelled a 'benefit scrounger'. Having worked and never claimed a single benefit until circumstances forced me to. But isn't that why I -and my husband -paid for all these years, to entitle us to help if we desperately needed it? :confused

Folk make far too many sweeping generalisations, saying 'well, I did this, so everyone else can as well.....' It's not always possible.

Not long till I reach retirement age and then maybe I'll be transformed into an OAP who deserves their pension, and the approval of society, instead of a 'benefit scrounger' living off the state. Of course I will be exactly the same person! :roll:

Angela
28-Jun-10, 09:21
Realise I went a bit OT on my last post and galloped off on my hobby horse!;)

I do think we should aim to regenerate areas of high unemployment rather than create ghettos by forcing people to move away if they are to have any hope of work. What hope for those who are left behind?

I think we sometimes need to have a kind of half way house between all work and all benefit, where people will be no worse off, and hopefully a bit better off, if they do some useful work within the community. I believe this has been mooted before but never agreed and put into practice by government.:(

Thumper
28-Jun-10, 09:58
I have kept quiet on this subject for fear of being attack for being one of the "drains on society" but here goes,yes in theory it is a good idea and can only be done if the person is willing to move,that said i wouldnt be willing,my kids are settled here in their school s and have their friends so why should I make them unhappy by moving away to get work? Also if I move away where is my "network of support"? I would have no family,friends,or people I could trust to watch one of my children if they were ill or whatever so i still wouldnt be able to go to work then either! The whole system is changing,I had a call the other day telling me my benefits will be stopped in les than a month and asking me how I was going to live without them (very nice of the DWP to ask me that) so I am told I have to get a job before then,or claim jobseekers allowance and be able to prove I am applying for all jobs then,great....if you have childcare that is!Ok my youngest can go to after school clubs,my middle one is too old for that,but too young to be left alone,I could imagine the trouble he would get into if he was allowed to do that-if it were legal to do so! So what do i do now? I have applied for every job I can that in in a school so that i have the same holidays but as of yet no luck,so where do i go from here? What annoys me is yes there ARE people who milk the system,but they will find another way of doing so, while honest people how are down on their luck will be made to pay the penalty! x

mrlennie
28-Jun-10, 10:09
Someone referred to working in a factory down south...I thought it was a good idea at one time so I did it. We were on a agency scheme that meant we could be fired at any time, they run the workers ragged and then sacked them 4 weeks later. You would not believe the staff turnover! A tiny minority stayed because they were part of the cliche which I didn't mind as I stayed for quite a while but the I don't know how they got away with how they treated people.

Anyone else worked in these kind of environments?

upolian
28-Jun-10, 10:34
Someone referred to working in a factory down south...I thought it was a good idea at one time so I did it. We were on a agency scheme that meant we could be fired at any time, they run the workers ragged and then sacked them 4 weeks later. You would not believe the staff turnover! A tiny minority stayed because they were part of the cliche which I didn't mind as I stayed for quite a while but the I don't know how they got away with how they treated people.

Yes a good few years ago,as a temporary measure,iam glad those days are well and truly over!!!!

bluelady
28-Jun-10, 11:29
I was one of the aforementioned "Dole Bludgers" who was claiming Job seekers allowance. After working continuously for well over 30 years and supporting myself, my family, the Tax man and my fellow dole bludgers, I was made redundant. I got a job away fae home, one new years eve spent in a tiny room on my own, unable to leave the premises due to being "on call" because the managers couldnt possibly work New years eve! Living away fae home, my employers felt I had no other life so assumed that because I lived on the premises, I was available at all times. I was tired. lonley and getting depressed so I took the decision to come back to Caithness and to the loving bosoms of family and friends. The difficulties I had getting benefits to tide me over, I even had to appeal. The BA informs me that I will only get Job seekers for so many weeks as I have not paid in enough contributions ! After paying large amounts of Tax and insurance for over 33 years, goodness knows what I would get if I had only been working a few years. I only claim because I need help to pay my bills etc, not save for a foreign holiday or another car. So being made to feel guilty for "bludging" off the state, I have got a part time job- God forbid, I should be claiming someone elses share! Hey ho, wonder what I'll get come Pension day !

sandyr1
28-Jun-10, 14:47
Read all the posts.....I did not, nor will I critisize those on benefits....Was just trying to say that those in the Uk are most fortunate to have all these 'safety nets'. But safety nets cost money and people who depend on them have a hard time getting off them, when they feel entitlement. e.g. Council Housing etc.....
We had an 35 year old man come to work here and within the first 3 months he fell and broke his leg whilst skiing.....I think he had 10 days Insurance and then No Money...We all chipped in and covered him for a while....until he could walk properly.
And to 'bluelady' I spent approx 20 years 'on call' in my profession/ and lived rough at times.....and perhaps there is a different mentaility.....we save for the rainy day....I was also 'skint' on occasion but just because one pays benefits does not necessarily entitle one to benefits.
And 'Thumper' I don't think you were attacked....at least not by me.
And Angela...my father had to go to Fort Augustus and live in a trailer and plant trees to get some money/ did it for years...so what would be wrong with people people moving for work.
So back to the beginning....why are so many Immigrants in Caithness working sometimes 2/3 jobs?? And there are no jobs in the North?!
OK...we have the same issue here..We import Mexican Workers to harvest the crops..pay them next to nothing and they are happy just to send some money home.....They live in shacks...maybe 10 in one building...and they seem quite happy...perhaps it is what we/they get used to....
And we have the Tories and the Liberals who are too liberal and the Tories who are too hard on people....its a seesaw every few years.........I'm rambling......bye

Thumper
28-Jun-10, 16:00
No worries Sandyr1 it wasnt you I meant,it was a few on here that always think they are better than others and accuse people of scamming the system just because they are on benefits and are brave enough to admit it on here x

RecQuery
28-Jun-10, 18:03
I was forced to move back home because I couldn't get accommodation after graduation. I'd be for such a scheme in general, though I doubt it would be extended to those already with jobs and there is potential for a high degree of abuse.

I always wonder how people manage to move around without having a large reserve of money, a friend or family member in an area or an employer with their own accommodation.

sandyr1
28-Jun-10, 18:37
I always wonder how people manage to move around without having a large reserve of money, a friend or family member in an area or an employer with their own accommodation.[/quote]

I was always taught...some years ago now!!., that one should save at least 3/6 months money necessary to live on...Obviously more for a married person., and always keep that in the bank for a rainy/moving day. So I did that and did what I did!!

Blarney
28-Jun-10, 23:50
No worries Sandyr1 it wasnt you I meant,it was a few on here that always think they are better than others and accuse people of scamming the system just because they are on benefits and are brave enough to admit it on here x
I don't think any of them are referring to the genuine unemployed amongst us. There are many who have no intention of ever finding work because they are happy to sit back and take all they can in benefits while jobbing on the side or pursuing their hobbies while we work to support them. THOSE are the people that make my blood boil and not the genuine cases who are welcome to all we can give them to enable them to find their way back to work.

Tubthumper
28-Jun-10, 23:58

I can think of one not so very far away, even in this day and age!

ducati
29-Jun-10, 07:53
Well if things in Caithness carry on the way they are, then only the very lucky few of us will have a job. (Actually, that may be the situation already)

At that point do we all leave? :eek:

John Little
29-Jun-10, 09:24
Well if things in Caithness carry on the way they are, then only the very lucky few of us will have a job. (Actually, that may be the situation already)

At that point do we all leave? :eek:

If were you I would get a job farming the wind - now!

David Banks
29-Jun-10, 14:09
OK, I'll take it.
Where do I apply?
And so would a few other native Caithnessians I know.

Shabbychic
29-Jun-10, 15:22
What I would like to know is where all these houses for the new workers will come from. Perhaps we will all end up like the US Down and Outs as seen here (http://www.channel4.com/programmes/unreported-world/4od) in Unreported World.:(

I think I still have a couple of tents up in the loft. Maybe I should look them out and air them.:D

bluelady
29-Jun-10, 16:52
And to 'bluelady' I spent approx 20 years 'on call' in my profession/ and lived rough at times.....and perhaps there is a different mentaility.....we save for the rainy day....I was also 'skint' on occasion but just because one pays benefits does not necessarily entitle one to benefits.

quote]

The difference is that you maybe were/are a single person with no commitments. As a wife and mother it was a strain being away fae home and trying to maintain a family life for a few hours each weekend. I ken there are families in this situation, but it usually e father that works away and this - with e risk of being labled "sexist" is often more exceptable. I took e job away after being made redundant and saved for a rainy day, e trouble was, it rained non stop so I needed assistance. I didnt claim straight away.
I hear what youre saying about people getting dependant on them and costs etc and I think there should be a system where these benefits are more means tested in some way ;)

Leanne
29-Jun-10, 16:54
Just found this thread - not read any of it as I don't really want to debate it...

Moving where the work is is what the 'employed' do. This is nothing new. If you have a profession you go where the work is - and this often means uprooting the family. Why do some of the unemployed deem this un-doable? I have several friends from school who for one reason or another don't or can't work - they have all lived in the same council houses for the past 15 years. I have in the past suggested asking for house swaps in order to move to where there is more opportunities and it has always been met with horror. This puzzles me somewhat - I wasn't suggesting a huge move, just 10 miles or so to where work is available.

I moved my family up here with work - 482 miles. I now have a job and a comfortable life - well worth the move. The fact that I love the area is just a bonus :)

Sara Jevo
29-Jun-10, 17:06
OK, I'll take it.
Where do I apply?
And so would a few other native Caithnessians I know.

Since it relates to council housing, I suspect this will be an initiative for England and Wales.

Thing is, I believe someone who is willing will go to the top of the list for a house in the area they are moving to.

I'm not sure how they would go down with other people on the waiting list.

If they were building more homes for rent, it'd be different.

sandyr1
29-Jun-10, 18:43
quote]

The difference is that you maybe were/are a single person with no commitments. As a wife and mother it was a strain being away fae home and trying to maintain a family life for a few hours each weekend. I ken there are families in this situation, but it usually e father that works away and this - with e risk of being labled "sexist" is often more exceptable. I took e job away after being made redundant and saved for a rainy day, e trouble was, it rained non stop so I needed assistance. I didnt claim straight away.
I hear what youre saying about people getting dependant on them and costs etc and I think there should be a system where these benefits are more means tested in some way ;)[/quote]

Noooooo...I was married in Scotland, moved to Englad where 2 children were born, & then to Canada. Gawddddd it was tough but we did it. Now a Statistic, but still help 2 children and their families..But you see I wanted away from Caithness and wanted to travel and....well...where there is a Will there is a Way!
Yes I think that a better means test is what is needed...and again I am not being critical of the Uk.. I am just saying that you have many more benefits that I had in my travels, and have today.
Now...Shabby Chicky......
I don't want to burst your bubble...yes there are problems in the United States, as there is across the World, but you are watching a Television Show. I was involved, assisting in putting shows together and in documentaries and there is some 'creative licence' used. In any scenes of Assault/ violence my biggest problem with TV was stopping them using so much fake blood!..You see Television is dictated by...'If it Bleeds it Leads', meaning that there is 'some' sensationalism.
But yes there are problems.
And Leanne.. I did what you did, except my first move was 800 miles and the next was 3,500 miles. But it doesn't matter the distance...you are away from what was comfortable.
And in Scotland I never lived in a Council House...so I guess I don't know what it is like!

squidge
29-Jun-10, 19:08
And in Scotland I never lived in a Council House...so I guess I don't know what it is like!

Wellsandyr1 - its pretty much like living in an ordinary house actually. It even has plumbing... indoor bathrooms and kitchens with hot running water are just as common in council houses as in any others. Some have gardens too - it depends where they are. Most now have glass in their windows and central heating too. They are usually built of brick or stone although there are some prefabs still about and mostof them have a roof without holes in.

glaikit
29-Jun-10, 20:09
This is the old 'them' and 'us' scenario, which is fine when you're on the 'us' side, not so great when you're on the 'them'. I've been on both sides of the fence.
I don't think it's a good idea to make generalisations about a group of people, when the only thing that is known about 'them' is that they claim benefit. That's all you can say they have in common, for definite.
There will always be folk playing the system. That doesn't mean you take away the safety net for genuine claimants because of the 1 in a 100 who are scamming. There's enough children in this country living below the poverty line without opening up shelters like the US have.
Surely none of us want aspire to that system?
Remember the film, 'Kathy Come Home'? Let's protect the most vulnerable in our society: the sick, the old, the unfortunate and the children. Don't punish them because of the few.

sandyr1
29-Jun-10, 21:10
Wellsandyr1 - its pretty much like living in an ordinary house actually. It even has plumbing... indoor bathrooms and kitchens with hot running water are just as common in council houses as in any others. Some have gardens too - it depends where they are. Most now have glass in their windows and central heating too. They are usually built of brick or stone although there are some prefabs still about and mostof them have a roof without holes in.

Sometimes I do wonder what gets into a person to reply with these prose. I always rented privately, as it seemed from friends that it took too long and I couldn't wait as I was seeking employment, and JOBS don't wait for someone.
There must be a mentality issue here somewhere.
To be honest, if that is your best submission to a somewhat sensible discussion...... well you can pick it up from there.

squidge
29-Jun-10, 22:59
Oh sandyr1 - did i forget a smiley???? I thought it was a daftish comment you made - living in a council house isnt any different to living in any other house and i took advantage of the daft comment.

If you meant you dont know what its like to try to GET a council house then its nigh on impossible in many areas. Private renting is expensive and has a lack of security of tenure as its mainly short term assured tenancies. Also the buy to let market has increased but it does mean that there is an influx of "amateur" landlords especially in the south east and there have been many instances where the tenant has opened a letter addressed to "the occupier" to find their accommodation has been repossessed and they have no rights. Also if you have a family and are away from them you would be paying out for two properties because you would not be entitled to housing benefit. Whilst there is nothing wrong with bar jobs - they dont generally pay enough to run two homes.

As far as why the unemplyed find this undoable -its mainly because you dont become unemployed thinking you are still going to be unemplyed in a month, two months or six months. It may take a month or two to realise that you are not going to find work where you live. Remember that jobseekers allowance is around £65 per week. Not really enough to "save up" on and not enough to move on either. In other countries the amount can be much more - canada for instance the benefit which pays 55% of your earnings and more if you live in an area of high unemployment. In France the benefit is one based on your daily wage and is up to 57.4% of the daily wage. In Germany i think it is around 65% of the net earnings of your last job. So it may be that these benefits support the movement of people more than our flat rate benefit does.

Better?

Shabbychic
30-Jun-10, 01:39
Noooooo...I was married in Scotland, moved to Englad where 2 children were born, & then to Canada. Gawddddd it was tough but we did it. Now a Statistic, but still help 2 children and their families..But you see I wanted away from Caithness and wanted to travel and....well...where there is a Will there is a Way!
Yes I think that a better means test is what is needed...and again I am not being critical of the Uk.. I am just saying that you have many more benefits that I had in my travels, and have today.
Now...Shabby Chicky......
I don't want to burst your bubble...yes there are problems in the United States, as there is across the World, but you are watching a Television Show. I was involved, assisting in putting shows together and in documentaries and there is some 'creative licence' used. In any scenes of Assault/ violence my biggest problem with TV was stopping them using so much fake blood!..You see Television is dictated by...'If it Bleeds it Leads', meaning that there is 'some' sensationalism.
But yes there are problems.
And Leanne.. I did what you did, except my first move was 800 miles and the next was 3,500 miles. But it doesn't matter the distance...you are away from what was comfortable.

I don't have a problem with people moving to where the work is, and have done this several times myself, but it is not always possible. If for instance two partners were working, and one then has to move due to unemployment, what happens to the other? The second partner may very well have a steady job they enjoy and/or with good prospects, so it would be very unreasonable to expect them to give up their job to move to a new area and attempt to start again. I agree this could be done, but with the job situation at the moment, I think it would be crazy for anyone in solid employment to give this up.

Now....You may very well have burst Shabby Chicky's bubble, (whoever she is):confused but you haven't burst mine. I am very skeptical of most things in the media (having had a bit of experience with them), and don't take every documentary at face value, but don't believe there was any fake blood in this documentary. The evidence is out there. Try here (http://ezinearticles.com/?Tent-Cities-in-America-Are-Popping-Up-Everywhere%21&id=2145422), and here (http://hubpages.com/hub/Depression-Blues-Tent-Cities-among-Us) just as examples. Unreported World has won many awards for reporting things the main media won't cover, so I don't think they highly exaggerated the situation.

I personally think you have a wee bee in yer bonnet about what is going on back hame. You travelled about and made good, so everybody else should. The minute anything is said on here about benefits and welfare, you are right in there comparing us with Canada. I don't know how the welfare system works in Canada, but there is nothing wrong with a country looking after those down on their luck. (although I believe that is about to change by the looks of it.)

Oh...I forgot to mention Motability....I know you love that one.;)

sandyr1
30-Jun-10, 05:00
Now....You may very well have burst Shabby Chicky's bubble, (whoever she is):confused but you haven't burst mine. I am very skeptical of most things in the media (having had a bit of experience with them), and don't take every documentary at face value, but don't believe there was any fake blood in this documentary. The evidence is out there. Try here (http://ezinearticles.com/?Tent-Cities-in-America-Are-Popping-Up-Everywhere%21&id=2145422), and here (http://hubpages.com/hub/Depression-Blues-Tent-Cities-among-Us) just as examples. Unreported World has won many awards for reporting things the main media won't cover, so I don't think they highly exaggerated the situation

I personally think you have a wee bee in yer bonnet about what is going on back hame. You travelled about and made good, so everybody else should. The minute anything is said on here about benefits and welfare, you are right in there comparing us with Canada. I don't know how the welfare system works in Canada, but there is nothing wrong with a country looking after those down on their luck. (although I believe that is about to change by the looks of it.)

Oh...I forgot to mention Motability....I know you love that one.;)

No Bee in Ma Bonnet!...Just.......I have never in my travels...to be honest 'Nice Sheek',
seen so many 'freebies'! Forget Canada.....I won't mention it again.....
You are all so fortunate to have the 'extras'. 54,000 cars.............per year.....plus, plus, plus. Wowee.....

Squidge...I never lived in a Council House in Scotland or England.... because a person took Months if Not Years to get one.. So what about the JOB that is waiting. Cannot take it because there is no Cooncil hoosie!! Give me a break......Wow ...There is a 'Job Seekers Allowance'...What the Heck is that?? Another .........! And you mentioned the Canadian 'Job Seekers Allowance'...I honestly didn't know we had one...Guess what...I got a job! Yes I went out.... all on my own and got a Job! First one here....Minimum Wage.....yes...it barely paid the Rent.....70 hours a week!
You know...there is a Real World' out here...One where you get rewarded for performance...And I have never 'demeaned' those who were unable to make it. I fell of a horse in Caithness when I was 14. Luckily I was put back together....What I am trying to say is, you are likely some of the most fortunate people on this Planet, and what I see on some of there posts is 'discontent'.
There is an expression, when all else fails....'There is no sense ..........against the Wind'! So my arguements on this subject have failed badly.......but we all have food for thought..
And as the olde letters were finished off with....
'I remain',
Yours Truly......... nite...nite!

squidge
30-Jun-10, 09:24
Hmm

My father in law was paid off last november, he is 62 and just started work yesterday. He has worked and paid NI all his life, do you think he feels his jobseekers allowance is a "freebie"?

My friend worked for 35 years til she had to retire due to contracting hepatitis C from an infected blood transfusion in the 1990s. She has limited mobility now and gets a motability car - do you think she feels that its a "freebie"?

As for the JOB that is waiting and it begs the question waiting where? but however. I said you cant get housed..... if there is no social housing where do you suggest people live? Private rented property? Aye and it usually says "no dss no pets" under those ads. And lets suppose you manage to find one the average price for a two bedroomed property in inverness is £650 per month. you need a deposit and rent in advance £1300 and you have been getting £65 per week for the last 3months -where are you going to get that from? Are you really suggesting that people move to live in cardboard boxes, homeless hostels and scatter flats?

You are right we are one of the most fortunate people on the planet and so are you. If you find yourself out of work in Canada through no fault of your own you will get around 55% of your wages for up to a year - i bet thats more than £65 per week. It is RIGHT that we look after people who are struggling and right that we financially support them whilst they cannot support themselves and if theya re disabled or sick we should try to ensure that we enable them to live as full a life as possible if we can. As long as they are making themselves available to work in the area where they live and within sensible travelling distance then i think thats fair enough. Those who wish to move should be able to get help to move to take up a job offer, those who dont should not be forced to do so.

Finally you mention being rewarded for performance is one thing but just now your reward might very well be your P45.

Angela
30-Jun-10, 09:41
And Angela...my father had to go to Fort Augustus and live in a trailer and plant trees to get some money/ did it for years...so what would be wrong with people people moving for work.

Ach Sandy, did you actually read my post? I didn't say there was anything wrong in folk moving for work. Quite the reverse! Didn't I say that my great uncles, my grandparents and my father all moved for work? :confused

We have always had a great work ethic in my family and I'm proud to say my grown up children all do as well.

What I don't agree with is forcing people to move for work and leaving behind communities which will become ghettos and ghost towns.

We have a very long waiting list here in Edinburgh for council housing. Working people who have been waiting for years to get out of private renting and into a council property will not be too happy at being bumped down the list to make room for incomers.