PDA

View Full Version : Jazz and blues

Gleber2
23-Jun-06, 12:47
World renowned guitarist, Duck Baker, is in Caithness next week playing fingerstyle accoustic jazz and blues. Anyone interested in hearing him, PM me for details. Check out duckbaker.com.

The Pepsi Challenge
23-Jun-06, 12:59
Aye, well worth seeing. Though Duck would be playing the Glasgow Jazz Fest this year but no joy. Myself, I'll be checking out Stan Tracey Trio & Bobby Wellins, and Dennis Rollins Badbone.

Gleber2
23-Jun-06, 14:07
Aye, well worth seeing. Though Duck would be playing the Glasgow Jazz Fest this year but no joy. Myself, I'll be checking out Stan Tracey Trio & Bobby Wellins, and Dennis Rollins Badbone.

Stan Tracey should be nice, I envy you. It's a pity that Duck Baker is so underground. He is reputed to be one of the best in the world in the style he uses. Hard to believe he will be recording in Caithness and performing.

The Pepsi Challenge
24-Jun-06, 13:16
Stan Tracey should be nice, I envy you. It's a pity that Duck Baker is so underground. He is reputed to be one of the best in the world in the style he uses. Hard to believe he will be recording in Caithness and performing.

My mistake, Duck will be playing the jazz fest. Shame I'll miss him. As you say, a rare treat for jazz fans - and music fans - in Caithness. Stan's the man.

Gleber2
24-Jun-06, 13:21
My mistake, Duck will be playing the jazz fest. Shame I'll miss him. As you say, a rare treat for jazz fans - and music fans - in Caithness. Stan's the man.

The best known blues man in Prague used to play in a group called Prairie Wolf in Thurso in the mid seventies. His name is Stan Walarz and his group is called Stan the Man and the Bohemian Blues Band. Tracey was there first though.
Apart from yourself, the music starved population of Caithness does not show much interest in Duck's music. A great chance missed by the local musicians who claim that not much good music comes to Thurso. I have rarely seen a name such as Duck's play up here except the concerts put on in the Mill.
I wonder how many people have heard of Tony Macphee of the Groundhogs. He will be in Caithness in September.

Ann
24-Jun-06, 14:19
Come on all you musicians out there; you have the chance to meet a legend!
There are a lot of you on the org who show a great interest in live music; please don't miss this oppurtunity.

I urge you to take a look at Duck's website; very informative.

The Pepsi Challenge
24-Jun-06, 20:49
The best known blues man in Prague used to play in a group called Prairie Wolf in Thurso in the mid seventies. His name is Stan Walarz and his group is called Stan the Man and the Bohemian Blues Band. Tracey was there first though.
Apart from yourself, the music starved population of Caithness does not show much interest in Duck's music. A great chance missed by the local musicians who claim that not much good music comes to Thurso. I have rarely seen a name such as Duck's play up here except the concerts put on in the Mill.
I wonder how many people have heard of Tony Macphee of the Groundhogs. He will be in Caithness in September.

Very intriguing, Gleber2. Would like to know where I could here some of Stan Walarz's stuff. Now that I'm The Scotsman's deputy jazz scribe - hard to believe I know - I've come into contact with some of the most amazing jazz musos still alive. To mention someone knew, though, I would highly recomment listening to Kyle Eastwood (Clint's son). He's a grand bass player and is heavily influence by Chick Corea, who, pop-pickers, is playing at the Edinburgh Jazz & Blues fest this summer. Can't wait.

Gleber2
24-Jun-06, 21:22
Very intriguing, Gleber2. Would like to know where I could here some of Stan Walarz's stuff. .

Check his website. www.blues.cz/stantheman (http://www.blues.cz/stantheman). I have a few of his CD's if there are no clips.

Sporran
25-Jun-06, 00:29
World renowned guitarist, Duck Baker, is in Caithness next week playing fingerstyle accoustic jazz and blues. Anyone interested in hearing him, PM me for details. Check out duckbaker.com.

I love jazz and blues! I canna be in Caithness for Duck's performance next week, but maybe I can catch him on this side of the Atlantic instead.

Chobbersjnr
26-Jun-06, 15:35
I've heard the first track of Duck in the studio &

WOW, some player

absolutely unbelievable

Ann
26-Jun-06, 15:39
That's good, looking forward to hearing him tomorrow night! Ann

Gleber2
28-Jun-06, 11:59
A brilliant guitarist!!! It was a musical feast. Thanks to those who came.

Pepsi, the man tells me he is not doing the Edinburgh Jazz Festival but he is there tonight.

Ann
28-Jun-06, 13:01
A brilliant guitarist!!! It was a musical feast. Thanks to those who came.

Pepsi, the man tells me he is not doing the Edinburgh Jazz Festival but he is there tonight.

A feast indeed; and as well as Duck Baker, our very own Gleber2 and ChobbersJnr were a large part of it; excellent evening, thank you.

Ann

zebedy
28-Jun-06, 17:08
Duck baker was abosulooootly awesome!

Could sit and listen to his storys for ever!

And Gleber2 and Chobbersjr were on the ball last night!.. Best ive seen the both of u play.. Never fail to impress me guys! Mind Blowing!

L8r
Zeb

Moira
29-Jun-06, 20:34
It was more than worth the trip just to hear Chobbersjnr & Gleber2. Duck Baker was the icing on the cake. The setting itself is breathtaking - fantastic evening all round! :)

Sporran
29-Jun-06, 21:25
It was more than worth the trip just to hear Chobbersjnr & Gleber2. Duck Baker was the icing on the cake. The setting itself is breathtaking - fantastic evening all round! :)

Och, I wish I could have been there too! Maybe one of these days....