PDA

View Full Version : I Pad

ducati
26-Jun-10, 14:22
Fancy an I Pad as a replacement for my stupid Smart Phone that doesn't work in Caithness and I am too old to use anyway.

Anyone use one in Caithness? Anygood?

ducati
26-Jun-10, 14:25
No I don't, the crappest one is £430 and it looks rubbish :(

adi1
26-Jun-10, 14:26
Think you may look silly holding a ipad to your ear trying to make a call :D

Leanne
26-Jun-10, 14:29
I've had a play and loved it. Unfortuanately it is the last on my list of things to buy :( Take a trip to inverness and have a play - isn't there someone selling a return ticket for a fiver?

EDDIE
26-Jun-10, 14:42
I have played with one its ok its just a bigger version of an iphone my only gripe with it there is no usb sockets your more or less tied to itunes i still think the net book with a dongle is better.I just cant understand anyone that would by one that doesnt have 3g and relies on wifi connection plus i think its overpriced for what it is and you still need a laptop to sync to it so whats the point in it the other thing as well if you want use the ipad out and about u have to hold onto it all the time so it might be annoying holding on it were a net book u can set it down

The Drunken Duck
26-Jun-10, 14:57
Fancy an I Pad as a replacement for my stupid Smart Phone that doesn't work in Caithness and I am too old to use anyway.

Anyone use one in Caithness? Anygood?

Its quite a good bit of kit, a neighbour of mine has one. Dead easy to use and it is quite impressive.

It just screams "techno geek" though. When a laptop does so much more why not just buy one of them ??

Serenity
26-Jun-10, 15:58
Its quite a good bit of kit, a neighbour of mine has one. Dead easy to use and it is quite impressive.

It just screams "techno geek" though. When a laptop does so much more why not just buy one of them ??

It screams brainwashed idiot to me, not "techno geek". Any real tech head would see straight through it. Gimmick.
As to whoever said you would look stupid making a phone call on, that's not a problem as I am pretty sure you can't.
You can get a much better spec laptop or netbook for cheaper.

Ducati - why will your smartphone not work? What kind of smartphone is it? I know my android phone does not work well on 3g up here but I use it on wireless networks most of the time instead (at my house or friend's houses and there are some in quite a few pubs in town).

EDDIE
26-Jun-10, 18:27
It screams brainwashed idiot to me, not "techno geek". Any real tech head would see straight through it. Gimmick.
As to whoever said you would look stupid making a phone call on, that's not a problem as I am pretty sure you can't.
You can get a much better spec laptop or netbook for cheaper.

Ducati - why will your smartphone not work? What kind of smartphone is it? I know my android phone does not work well on 3g up here but I use it on wireless networks most of the time instead (at my house or friend's houses and there are some in quite a few pubs in town).

Surfing the internet on any phone is not an enjoyable experience because the screen is 2 small the only thing i like doing on the internet with the phone is sending and recieving emails thats it if your out and about the netbook or ipad is the way to go but i prefer the netbook
But the one thing you can say about the ipad and iphone is that apple has created touch screen that is spot on and the operating system is spot on as well and everyone else whether they like it or not are just copying apple system it is true what there advert says "you already no how to use it" very true
As i said before the ipad is a lot money to be tied into using itunes very clever tactic from apples point of view thats why i prefer the netbook

Serenity
26-Jun-10, 19:21
Surfing the internet on any phone is not an enjoyable experience because the screen is 2 small the only thing i like doing on the internet with the phone is sending and recieving emails thats it if your out and about the netbook or ipad is the way to go but i prefer the netbook
But the one thing you can say about the ipad and iphone is that apple has created touch screen that is spot on and the operating system is spot on as well and everyone else whether they like it or not are just copying apple system it is true what there advert says "you already no how to use it" very true
As i said before the ipad is a lot money to be tied into using itunes very clever tactic from apples point of view thats why i prefer the netbook

Well the screen on my phone is a decent size and in fact I wrote my previous reply from it. Obviously for longer periods of time I would prefer my netbook. Ducati never said what he was looking for in the device though. I find it quite amusing that my phone has the same processer speed as the ipad.
The very worst part of the ipad is like you say, being tied into using itunes etc and only the applications that apple allow you. I like a lot more freedom on my devices.
To me the iPad is only good for people who want to pay a lot of money for something that looks good but has very poor spec.

bettedaviseyes
26-Jun-10, 19:45
i would not buy one there's no USB port you can't buy an replacement battery for it so when the battery goes you have to send it back to apple to be repaired which will cost not worth the money there asking for better getting a top range laptop at that price:confused

ducati
26-Jun-10, 21:10
Guys, thanks, useful responses. My smartphone is on 3, bad move! It was bought at the three shop in Birmigham and the bloke said yeah no problem with reception and 3G in Caithness!

Only need it for sending and receiving emails and I might like to surf the net (it has only worked once and that was on South Uist) :eek:

Reading up on the iPad it looks a faf to set up with 3G anyway. For the price of the 16 gig jobby you can get a top spec laptop or PC.

I'm not a big fan of Apple with it's micky mouse apps, just thought it might be more convienient than a laptop. On reflection I'll buy a laptop with proper Windows. :cool:

silverlady
26-Jun-10, 23:51
I have a Sony Ericsson xperia x 10 and its GREAT! Im on 02 and all features on it work really well! :Razz

Serenity
27-Jun-10, 00:44
I have a Sony Ericsson xperia x 10 and its GREAT! Im on 02 and all features on it work really well! :Razz

That's what I have :) But on Orange which does work well enough in most places up here but it is a lot faster on wireless networks and most places I go where I would be using it is a more than just a phone have wireless.
Down south in the cities it is amazing.
Only thing is the battery life when you use it heavily. Think I might buy a spare battery and charger. Pretty sure there is such a thing.

(I did want an HTC Desire originally but they were out of stock when I ordered so just went with it and am pretty pleased).

Mall67
05-Jul-10, 20:24
I just got 2 batteries and a charger from ebay £9.95, not to bad I thought.