PDA

View Full Version : Vale Of Sorrow

Kevin Milkins
26-Jun-10, 11:15
http://www.itv.com/wales/the-vale-of-sorrow-the21250/

I just watched a very moving tribute to the coal miners that lost there life in the Six Bells mining disaster that occurred fifty years ago on the 28 June 1960.

I was nearly five years old at the time and I can still remember peering through the railings of the colliery with my mother and a large crowed of concerned wives and families as the rescue took place, but consider myself lucky because although my father, two uncles, and my grandfather all worked at the pit, none of them came to harm.

I grew up and went through school with several lads that had lost there dad in the disaster and at the time it all seemed very "matter of fact", but know having watched this programme it seems very poignant and fair brought a tear to my eye.

Sara Jevo
26-Jun-10, 12:25
Worth remembering when the Daily Mail readers bemoan the elf and safety culture - it may not be perfect, but it's lead to fewer people being killed at their work.

pegasus
26-Jun-10, 16:57
I was nearly five years old at the time and I can still remember peering through the railings of the colliery with my mother and a large crowed of concerned wives and families as the rescue took place, but consider myself lucky because although my father, two uncles, and my grandfather all worked at the pit, none of them came to harm.

Four members of your family were very fortunate indeed.
For the victims familis the agony and sadness of losing their loved ones will nevr leave them. :~(

This mining disaster was believed to have been caused by a quartitic(sp) stone falling from the roadway roof onto a steel canopy which was used to protect the roadway conveyor during blasting ops. the incentive spark ignited the firedamp and caused the explosion.

Kevin Milkins
27-Jun-10, 23:34
I have a friend on another forum that wants to copy the programme in the above link so that she can send it to her relative in Australia on a disc.

The friend in Australia was unable to open the link and watch the programme.

Can this be done? ( I am sure we must have a techno orger with the answer)

I will post this request in the technical department as well.

Regards.

KM