PDA

View Full Version : Gender meaningless?

John Little
26-Jun-10, 10:41
On another thread someone wondered if the posters were split along gender lines.

Which caused me some thought.

I am a man.
I have all the outward signs of being such - I will not go into what they are for fear of offending delicate souls, but you may rest assured that in all outward appearance I bear the resemblance of a rather large male.

I know this.

But you don't.
Unless you know something that I do not.
I could be a small blonde living an alternative existence.

The net is a place where people live second lives and assume false identities. Most of the people on here are pseudonyms and unless they actually make specific reference to themselves I do not know what gender they are.
I might think I know from the way their brain works - but that is hit and miss.

Nor, really, do I care.

There may be men posting as women, women posting as men, kids posting as adults, people who do not know what they are- even the odd sentient horse for all I know.

Mind you a horse might have trouble with a keyboard...

So it occured to me - does a gender split on the Org mean anything at all if we don't know what persuasion people are?..........

Invisible
26-Jun-10, 11:32
On another thread someone wondered if the posters were split along gender lines.

Which caused me some thought.

I am a man.
I have all the outward signs of being such - I will not go into what they are for fear of offending delicate souls, but you may rest assured that in all outward appearance I bear the resemblance of a rather large male.

I know this.

But you don't.
Unless you know something that I do not.
I could be a small blonde living an alternative existence.

The net is a place where people live second lives and assume false identities. Most of the people on here are pseudonyms and unless they actually make specific reference to themselves I do not know what gender they are.
I might think I know from the way their brain works - but that is hit and miss.

Nor, really, do I care.

There may be men posting as women, women posting as men, kids posting as adults, people who do not know what they are- even the odd sentient horse for all I know.

So it occured to me - does a gender split on the Org mean anything at all if we don't know what persuasion people are?..........

I can normally tell by them Avatars if they is woman or man.
I am not a horse.

John Little
26-Jun-10, 11:36
Neigh!

Prove it! :lol:

Invisible
26-Jun-10, 12:20
Neigh!

Prove it! :lol:

oh drat you got me! I have to type holding a bit of straw in my mouth

Sara Jevo
26-Jun-10, 12:23
Lol does it matter?

What gender do you think I am?

John Little
26-Jun-10, 12:29
It matters not a whit.

Unless someone thinks the Org is divided along gender lines.

I cannot see how there can be an accurate measure given the anonymous nature of this place.

As to you - pray feel free to be whatever gender pleases you.

For all you know this may be me;

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad118/johnlittle21/marilyn-monroe001.jpg

In fact - I think it is.......:eek:

Rictina
26-Jun-10, 13:11
I can never tell if a member is male or female, not that it matters to me ;).

LoneSomeDove
26-Jun-10, 13:27
With a name like LoneSomeDove, taken from a book about cowboys, does this make me automatically a man.
It could be seen as a bird of peace which implies i could be a woman, so some times avatars and names mean nothing.

Not that it matters to me, people are people with opinions and conversations, nothing more and mothing less.

glaikit
26-Jun-10, 13:37
I don't want to know. That's the great thing about the org- you take people's comments on their own merits and everyone feels free to say what they want to without fear of retribution. Mind you, that cuts both ways[lol]

pegasus
26-Jun-10, 15:38

Now and again I do have some difficulty with my hoofs. Neigh :roll:

I have no gender as I am mythologicall!

Tubthumper
26-Jun-10, 16:05
Now and again I do have some difficulty with my hoofs. Neigh :roll: I have no gender as I am mythologicall!
Not this time you didn't. See what you can do when you try?

10/10 for spelling and punctuation.

scorrie
26-Jun-10, 16:46
With a name like LoneSomeDove, taken from a book about cowboys, does this make me automatically a man.
It could be seen as a bird of peace which implies i could be a woman, so some times avatars and names mean nothing.

Not that it matters to me, people are people with opinions and conversations, nothing more and mothing less.

Lonesome Dove is about Cowboys?

I always thought this was the scenario:-

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/soaps.jpghttp://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/Doveexfoliating.jpg

trix
26-Jun-10, 20:55
believe me, mr little....i am, all woman ;)

John Little
26-Jun-10, 21:07
LOL! Now somehow, and for what reason escapes me- in your case I never doubted it! :)

squidge
28-Jun-10, 00:08
Normally gender isnt an issue for mebut this particular thread about IVF was making me curious. Usually when i disagree with a poster i think about their reaction and wonder what is behind it and try to understand the point they are making as i decide whether their arguments hold water or mean i need to reconsider my own position. As i was doing this i began to wonder if the posters who were most agressive in their posts in a negative manner were men so rather than make that assumption based on MY preconceived ideas I asked the question - thats all.

Only you answered John lol

John Little
28-Jun-10, 06:46
Well you asked a question worth asking.

Angel
28-Jun-10, 22:18
You are also assuming we live in a binary world... male or female!

Nobody really cares about gender, all they really care is how to pideon-hole you so they can deal with it with the knowledge and understanding they have at the point of making the decision which box to put you in... Anything after that becomes a challenge and lazy people just don'e want to learn any different...

Angel...

Stefan
29-Jun-10, 09:49
Gender is such a fluid thing....

bekisman
29-Jun-10, 11:23
My OH is an org member: sorghaghtanibeki, I am her man, hence: bekisman. simple

John Little
29-Jun-10, 12:39
Simples (squeak)

Yes in many cases it is simples.

But I have known too many masculine women and feminine men to think that it is universally so.

Many shades in between I think- I agree with Stefan