PDA

View Full Version : sat nav for motorbike

hardcore superstar
26-Jun-10, 08:59
i've had a look at the tomtom rider but it's very expensive (£340+), even on ebay you're talking £200. does anybody use a cheaper version? i've got a tomtom for the car, is there a way to rig that up to the bike? has anybody done this? grateful for any ideas/suggestions/comments.

Mik.M.
26-Jun-10, 09:21
The main problem would be keeping it waterproof and getting power to the unit.How about trying to rig up something with your Tom Tom? Mik.

Stefan
26-Jun-10, 09:27
I put a 12V socket on my bike and bought a holder for my sat nav. The holder broke on the motorway and my sat nav flew off. Most expensive way of trying to save money.

I'd say, don't do it. If you really need one then buy one of the three motorbike versions. It will be cheaper than having to replace your car sat nav as well.

Solus
26-Jun-10, 09:51
I have seen some guys using a waterproof bag which works to a certain extent but another problem is vibration from the bike, something car sat navs dont have to put up with.

I am just about to put mine on Ebay,and yes they do go for a bit of money, or at least i hope so.

upolian
26-Jun-10, 10:51
I would definately advise you go for the bike version :)

EDDIE
26-Jun-10, 12:14
Have a look at the link below for some of the accessery u can get for tom tom to make it go on a bike

http://www.tomtomdiscount.com/tomtom-bike.html

hardcore superstar
29-Jun-10, 09:21
thankyou for your input. i think i will just save up and get the tom tom rider and then flog my car version.

thanks.

Stefan
29-Jun-10, 09:39
good decision, you won't regret it...

Solus
29-Jun-10, 10:41
Superstar, If you looking for tom tom rider, feel free to make me a offer, bluetooth headset allows for in helmet comms and also can link in bluetooth phone and Ipod, full mapping for europe and Uk, full POI, ram mount, mains charge if needed. Loads more to it, but would save me the hassle of fleabaying it. Used once for trip round Europe never let me down and works a treat.

hardcore superstar
29-Jun-10, 11:15
Superstar, If you looking for tom tom rider, feel free to make me a offer, bluetooth headset allows for in helmet comms and also can link in bluetooth phone and Ipod, full mapping for europe and Uk, full POI, ram mount, mains charge if needed. Loads more to it, but would save me the hassle of fleabaying it. Used once for trip round Europe never let me down and works a treat.

have pm'd you.