PDA

View Full Version : Oil in the oceans

pegasus
25-Jun-10, 16:12
Very very dangerous sutuation in the gulf of Mexico

Rheghead
25-Jun-10, 17:41
Agreed and it could happen in Scottish waters. We saw oil wash up a couple of years ago, signs of things to inevitably come? And a group of MPs are trying to relax the regulations which govern the ship to ship transfer of oil even now in the wake of the mexican gulf disaster. How insensitive is that? All Lib dems and tories mind! ;)

http://www.edms.org.uk/edms/2010-2011/190.htm

pegasus
25-Jun-10, 22:34
Agreed and it could happen in Scottish waters. We saw oil wash up a couple of years ago, signs of things to inevitably come? And a group of MPs are trying to relax the regulations which govern the ship to ship transfer of oil even now in the wake of the mexican gulf disaster. How insensitive is that? All Lib dems and tories mind! ;)

http://www.edms.org.uk/edms/2010-2011/190.htm

i think it will happen in scottish waters soon enough as giant plumes of oil enter the gulf stream

i dont think libdems tories labour or any body else has much of a clue as to just how serious this is. the ocean floor has been ruptured and the crude is escping under enormous pressurte

Tubthumper
25-Jun-10, 22:45
...I don't think lib-dems, tories, labour or any body else has much of a clue as to just how serious this is. The ocean floor has been ruptured and the crude is escaping under enormous pressure
But you have it all worked out, no doubt. Have you offered your services to BP?

Please make an effort to spell and punctuate properly. I make a point of never criticising those who have problems with it on here, but I KNOW you're just pretending!

pegasus
25-Jun-10, 22:48
But you have it all worked out, no doubt. Have you offered your services to BP?

Please make an effort to spell and punctuate properly. I make a point of never criticising those who have problems with it on here, but I KNOW you're just pretending!

this is a serious issue spo suggest you stay away from it. you seem to KJNOW very little

Tubthumper
25-Jun-10, 22:51
This is a serious issue so suggest you stay away from it. You seem to KNOW very little
It's a serious issue all right, your incisive engineering/ geological knowledge has got it all worked out...

I know a bit. Which I bet is more than you know.

pegasus
25-Jun-10, 22:55
It's a serious issue all right, your incisive engineering/ geological knowledge has got it all worked out...

I know a bit. Which I bet is more than you know.
your ignorance is asstounding. are you going to make a usefull comment or what?

Rheghead
25-Jun-10, 23:00
Very very dangerous sutuation in the gulf of Mexico

Do you think there is any mileage in the idea that if the general public are made to feel ashamed of buying the oil industry's products because of what their own consumer demand is doing to the planet they will reduce consumption of oil?

pegasus
25-Jun-10, 23:02
Do you think there is any mileage in the idea that if the general public are made to feel ashamed of buying their products because of what their consumer demand is doing to the planet?
i dont really. i think bp will declare bankrupcy soon. what do you thinl?

Tubthumper
25-Jun-10, 23:05
your ignorance is asstounding. are you going to make a usefull comment or what?
What would you like a comment on? The interesting challenges facing the guys operating the ROVs (of which I know one) at these depths?
The geopolitical issues relating to oil extraction in the Gulf of Mexico, taking into account the various nations with a stake in the profits vs those looking at stinky beaches?
The foolish mistakes made in establishing the well which has burst, and maybe apportioning responsibility for the leak?
The race to drill secondary drills in and tap off the flow, and the immense difficulties involved in accurately drilling at those depths?
I'm not an oil bloke (Drunken Duck will sort you out there) but even I can manage a bit more than 'Very very dangerous situation in the gulf of mexico'
Hello, you've come back with the same rancid attitude you left with. Welcome back and don't be surprised if you get the same contempt as the last time.

Rheghead
25-Jun-10, 23:08
i dont really. i think bp will declare bankrupcy soon. what do you thinl?

Well their share price is about half of what it was before the disaster so I think that anybody with a bit of nouse of the oil biz would know that would happen after the Gulf 'accident'. If they wanted to take over BP due to their big interests in Russia, I'd want to make it more affordable for the takeover.

Tubthumper
25-Jun-10, 23:08
Do you think there is any mileage in the idea that if the general public are made to feel ashamed of buying the oil industry's products because of what their own consumer demand is doing to the planet they will reduce consumption of oil?
Perhaps. I can't help wondering if that would end up being 'don't buy BP'. If this helps the USA to start realising they have a role in preventing climate change (or whatever) it has to be a good thing. But I think that Mr Obama's standpoint, even if it seems 'anti-brit', is going to pay dividends by making all big multi-nationals sit up and think of what they will face if (when?) they DO screw up.

pegasus
25-Jun-10, 23:09
What would you like a comment on? The interesting challenges facing the guys operating the ROVs (of which I know one) at these depths?
The geopolitical issues relating to oil extraction in the Gulf of Mexico, taking into account the various nations with a stake in the profits vs those looking at stinky beaches?
The foolish mistakes made in establishing the well which has burst, and maybe apportioning responsibility for the leak?
The race to drill secondary drills in and tap off the flow, and the immense difficulties involved in accurately drilling at those depths?
I'm not an oil bloke (Drunken Duck will sort you out there) but even I can manage a bit more than 'Very ery Dangerous situation in the gulf of mexico'
Hello, you've come back with the same rancid attitude you left with. Welcome back and don't be surprised if you get the same contempt as the last time.
youve finaly posted something relavent. this is amazing. btw i never left so i havent come back. try and pay some atention

Tubthumper
25-Jun-10, 23:09
Well their share price is about half of what it was before the disaster so I think that anybody with a bit of nouse of the oil biz would know that would happen after the Gulf 'accident'. If they wanted to take over BP due to their big interests in Russia, I'd want to make it more affordable for the takeover.
God, you don't think it's a setup, do you?:eek: Mind you, who has the most to gain from BP becoming weak and vulnerable...?

pegasus
25-Jun-10, 23:13
the workers in bp will suffer when they lose there jobs but the ones who own bp wont suffer.

the real dangerous problem regards how much oil is under the ocean bed. it may not be posible to stp it

Rheghead
25-Jun-10, 23:14
God, you don't think it's a setup, do you?:eek: Mind you, who has the most to gain from BP becoming weak and vulnerable...?

It has flashed through my mind that may be a hidden aspect. But BP is a goldstar company with a huge international reputation. Accidents can and do happen and one has. If anyone can stop the disaster then BP is the prime candidate, I think it may be unjust for confidence in their company to be slashed by over 50% due to one mistake but reputation has tangible value in companies these days. And I also know that oil was the reason for the Iraq war so I don't think an 'accident' is beyond any self-respecting oil man's moral compass.

Tubthumper
25-Jun-10, 23:18
the workers in bp will suffer when they lose there jobs but the ones who own bp wont suffer. the real dangerous problem regards how much oil is under the ocean bed. it may not be posible to stp it
There's a very real possibility that the earth will deflate like a huge balloon. It will be slow but inexorable. Accompanied by a farting sound that will be heard on the other side of the galaxy. And we will end our days paddling in crude oil.
Karma.

Tristan
25-Jun-10, 23:18
. And I also know that oil was the reason for the Iraq war .

Had to do a double take there. Glad you finally realised that.

Rheghead
25-Jun-10, 23:21
Had to do a double take there. Glad you finally realised that.

Yes it was a real Damascus moment when I realised it.

Tubthumper
25-Jun-10, 23:23
It has flashed through my mind that may be a hidden aspect. But BP is a goldstar company with a huge international reputation. Accidents can and do happen and one has. If anyone can stop the disaster then BP is the prime candidate, I think it may be unjust for confidence in their company to be slashed by over 50% due to one mistake but reputation has tangible value in companies these days. And I also know that oil was the reason for the Iraq war so I don't think an 'accident' is beyond any self-respecting oil man's moral compass.
I don't think BP will go under. I think they have some of the best in the world working for them, they were just unfortunate that this one was (a) huge and (b) affecting the USA. If it had been a US company and the UK getting oiled...
At long last there are signs of morality appearing in the business world, and questions are being asked of the men and women at the top. Most of them seem to have no answers.
But just maybe, after all the crap about world economic collapse, oil leaks etc, we'll actually get some kind of joined up system where all the bits are connected and those who are paid millions actually know what they're doing (and the consequences!)

Rheghead
25-Jun-10, 23:26
At long last there are signs of morality appearing in the business world

Like an onion shedding its outer skin, but I hope you are right.

Amy-Winehouse
25-Jun-10, 23:35
BP wont go under, THey DO have the best in the business working for them, but when something catastrophic like this happens- they have to come up with solutions & fast ...

The Americans arnt giving them the time they would normally need to get paperwork through the BP system, but then the Florida beaches dont have the time that the bP engineers would like either....

It is a nightmare for everyone concerned, it will affect us all, some of us more than others but at least we still have our lives , 11 men do not.

pegasus
25-Jun-10, 23:45
BP wont go under, THey DO have the best in the business working for them, but when something catastrophic like this happens- they have to come up with solutions & fast ...

The Americans arnt giving them the time they would normally need to get paperwork through the BP system, but then the Florida beaches dont have the time that the bP engineers would like either....

It is a nightmare for everyone concerned, it will affect us all, some of us more than others but at least we still have our lives , 11 men do not.
plus 2 cleanup workwers who have died

pegasus
26-Jun-10, 00:00
after all the crap about world economic collapse, )
no euriopean debt crisis according to you then? no probs in america? no probs in africa? no probs with the price of oil. uk borrows 168000000000 pounds that can never be repaid and no probs?

whats it like in cockooland?

Rheghead
26-Jun-10, 11:41
The Russian president this week has had emergency talks with David Cameron, he was seeking assurances that BP won't go under because 25% of BP's oil stock comes from Russia and it is feared that Russia's oil exports could collapse throwing the Russian economy into chaos.

Well it is like a plot from a Tom Clancy novel but it is happening right here and now.

What assurances could Cameron give? A UK taxpayer £multibillion bailout to BP and add to the £trillion UK deficit? This would bankrupt Britain.

And it has revealed that the oil spill is seriously under-estimated.

Now if I was a US oil man and I wanted to divert public attention away from my own dubious ecological track record and climate change scepticism, garner environmental and public sympathy for my country and president, remove serious foreign competition in the form of BP and destroy two of my auld enemy's accelerating economy at a stroke then what else would act in my best interests than a convenient accident?

Perhaps I should write that book?

Gronnuck
26-Jun-10, 13:31
The Russian president this week has had emergency talks with David Cameron, he was seeking assurances that BP won't go under because 25% of BP's oil stock comes from Russia and it is feared that Russia's oil exports could collapse throwing the Russian economy into chaos.

Why would David Cameron be involved? BP is an international company? British interests only extend to a 40% stake in the company. America has 39%. Europe and the rest of the world have the rest. BP employs almost two Americans for every other employee it has.

There is no doubt the oil spill is a tragedy but it’s largely an American tragedy. :eek:

pegasus
27-Jun-10, 01:31

Well it is like a plot from a Tom Clancy novel but it is happening right here and now.

What assurances could Cameron give? A UK taxpayer £multibillion bailout to BP and add to the £trillion UK deficit? This would bankrupt Britain.

And it has revealed that the oil spill is seriously under-estimated.

Now if I was a US oil man and I wanted to divert public attention away from my own dubious ecological track record and climate change scepticism, garner environmental and public sympathy for my country and president, remove serious foreign competition in the form of BP and destroy two of my auld enemy's accelerating economy at a stroke then what else would act in my best interests than a convenient accident?

Perhaps I should write that book?
i think britain is bankrupt anyhow. as are all countreies with a central private bank

sandyr1
27-Jun-10, 02:10
Interesting reading these posts....but I really don't think the World realizes the extent of the continuing oil spill. 4 Months ago I was sailing these pristine waters with the porpoises and other wild life appearing every day.
Now I hear from my friends there, that sailing is impossible as is fishing in increasing areas of the Gulf.
This is a catastrophe of gigantic proportions where maybe, just maybe, BP etal., may be able to control this situation. FYI... Transocean employees have come forward to state that this oil rig was in trouble weeks before the fire and the deaths and the 'powers that be' refused to shut it down to repair same, as some oil production would be lost!
And when the oil goes around the Southern tip of Florida it will then be carried by the Gulf Stream to the doors of Canada and thence to the UK and Europe.
And it really isn't a British mistake/fault whatever. There are all World Contries involved in it. Yes the Yanks are inclined to lash out at the Brits but that is just sheer frustration...
Just a thought...what happens if these two new drills into the Ocean Crust come close together with the one that is leaking and the whole ..B.......y bottom is cracked.
It's bad, very bad and we have no control......Makes one ill!

sandyr1
27-Jun-10, 02:13
Ohhhhhhh.... and if BP stops paying it's Dividend of $10 Billion per year, then the Pension Plans, under their Charter. have to sell the Stock within a short period of time and guess what occurs if numerous Entities sell their Stock....The price crashes and then....well....the end!

Rheghead
27-Jun-10, 09:35
This incident not too mention climate change and over-population just demonstrates the perilous dangers of living an assymetric existence with nature.

pegasus
27-Jun-10, 21:50
Interesting reading these posts....but I really don't think the World realizes the extent of the continuing oil spill. 4 Months ago I was sailing these pristine waters with the porpoises and other wild life appearing every day.
Now I hear from my friends there, that sailing is impossible as is fishing in increasing areas of the Gulf.
This is a catastrophe of gigantic proportions where maybe, just maybe, BP etal., may be able to control this situation. FYI... Transocean employees have come forward to state that this oil rig was in trouble weeks before the fire and the deaths and the 'powers that be' refused to shut it down to repair same, as some oil production would be lost!
And when the oil goes around the Southern tip of Florida it will then be carried by the Gulf Stream to the doors of Canada and thence to the UK and Europe.
And it really isn't a British mistake/fault whatever. There are all World Contries involved in it. Yes the Yanks are inclined to lash out at the Brits but that is just sheer frustration...
Just a thought...what happens if these two new drills into the Ocean Crust come close together with the one that is leaking and the whole ..B.......y bottom is cracked.
It's bad, very bad and we have no control......Makes one ill!
i heard that there was some heavy selling of shares before this happend. Coinmcidence? i dont think so

wheres Fred when we need him??

bekisman
27-Jun-10, 21:53
i heard that there was some heavy selling of shares before this happend. Coinmcidence? i dont think so

wheres Fred when we need him??

Suspended ;)

pegasus
27-Jun-10, 21:56
Suspended ;)
thats a pity. not for much longer i hope

ducati
27-Jun-10, 22:21
He'll be back :eek:

said in Arnie's voice' obviously

Tubthumper
27-Jun-10, 22:28
So we're all doomed. Might as well relax and have a beer then!

Let's run a sweepstake to see how long it takes Fred to (a) claim he's being bullied (b) start bleating about conspiracies (c) get suspended again.
I'm for (a) 47 posts (b) 13 posts (c) 3 months

ducati
27-Jun-10, 22:33
I'm more interested in the comments I've seen a couple of times about shares being sold before the event. Are we talking CIA bomb causing the 'accident' ? The purpose to be.........?

Tubthumper
27-Jun-10, 22:36
Yeah, any post with 'coincidence - I don't think so...' in it should ring alarm bells. Even if its spelt wrong.

ducati
27-Jun-10, 22:41
But I'll have 50, 10 and 2 Months

The Drunken Duck
27-Jun-10, 22:44
I'm more interested in the comments I've seen a couple of times about shares being sold before the event. Are we talking CIA bomb causing the 'accident' ? The purpose to be.........?

Revenge mate, pure and simple. And it was all us, no CIA involvment needed .. Damn those Colonials and their impertinence.

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/6813/97472177.jpg

ducati
27-Jun-10, 23:00
Well actually, said in my best fred impersonation, the septics had already paid for it, so technically, it was their tea :Razz

Neil Howie
27-Jun-10, 23:07
i think it will happen in scottish waters soon enough as giant plumes of oil enter the gulf stream

This estimate was given on 4 June 2010, quite some time ago and when the extent of the spill was being underestimated by BP

Link (http://www.ouramazingplanet.com/gulf-oil-spill-could-spread-to-atlantic-ocean-0236/)

"I've had a lot of people ask me, 'Will the oil reach Florida?'" said one of the scientists who worked on the model, Synte Peacock of the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR). "Actually, our best knowledge says the scope of this environmental disaster (http://www.livescience.com/animals/gulf-oil-slick-threatens-endangered-sawfish-100601.html) is likely to reach far beyond Florida, with impacts that have yet to be understood."