PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with the CSA .. hard lessons learned.

The Drunken Duck
24-Jun-10, 15:51
As an "absent parent" I pay CSA/CMEC the required maintenance, which in my case is 20% of my Income after Tax and NI. Now I have recently gone through a stressful period of them sending me numerous letters saying I owed thousands in arrears, without any proof being offered, and then having their caseworkers lying and threatening me on the phone. One of these caseworkers is now being prosecuted for his actions. I have succesfully proved that the arrears are non valid and not due at all. I thought I would drop some pointers I learned that might help others in the same situation.

Stay Calm. Always. Losing your cool is loosing the argument. A firm confident air makes what you say matter. And it makes it more difficult for them to play the "I'm hanging up" card which they will use the second you raise your voice.

They are not your friends. Dont fall for the pally act. They are soulless collectors of cash for the Government. They care not one jot about your kids or whether you have enough to eat, they just want paid. When I pointed out that their claimed arrears would mean I would be unable to pay my rent I was told to "move to a caravan". Get the name of the person you speak to on EVERY call and keep a log. Recording EVERY conversation on a dictaphone is even better, but ALWAYS tell them you are doing so. Its the law and also makes them less liable to threaten and/or lie to you.

Ask for proof of arrears if claimed. Its your right. Ask for your file under the Freedom of Information act. You are entitled to see it and it will show all the comments made about you by staff. Mine is going to be good reading when I drag the caseworker into court. As well as for the vindictive friend of my ex wife who made disgusting and untrue allegations about me in phonecalls to the CSA. She is heading for court too. The CSA will tell you that it will take 40 days to process your FOI request, this is not true, its a delaying tactic and they are actually in breach of regulations by holding it up. Stress that you are NOT refusing to pay, you just want clarification.

Know what you should be paying. Its all there on the CSA site. 15% of NET INCOME for one child, 20% for two and 25% for three or more. NET INCOME is what's left after Income Tax and NI have been deducted.

The "Standing Order" con. This is a favourite. This is where they claim to have sent you a standing order form so you can pay. When it doesnt turn up, and in the majority of cases it wont because they havent sent it, they will then insist they did send it and as "too much time has passed" they will insist you can now only pay by Direct Debit. This gives them carte blanche to take what they want, which was the intention all along. Normally now they just serve a DEO (Deduction of Earnings) order on your employer. This ensures that the CSA can take what they want directly from your employer, and bypass you completly. It is illegal for an employer to refuse. Solution ?? .. get online banking, phone the CSA up and ask for the details over the phone for the standing order and set it up online. If they refuse to give you the details you need .. PRESS THE ISSUE. Because they are about to run the con on you that removes any ability you have to control what you pay.

Threats. The caseworker that threatened me is being prosecuted for it, he went well over the mark. Common threats used are ..

"We have to recover all arrears within two years" .. False. There is no such law but they will imply as much. Ask them outright to state that it is a law and not a CSA guideline. Because thats all it is, a guideline. Dont be intimidated.

"We can take your Passport and or Driving Licence or send you to Prison" .. yes BUT ONLY if you are openly refusing to pay. State that you are NOT doing this and are only contesting their claims as per your rights on any cliamed debt in this country. Then tell them that as they now know that if they repeat it you will regard it as a threat. And further action WILL be taken on that happening.

"There is no need for you to turn up to court for a liability hearing" .. I was told this, it is a lie. You MUST be there to contest any claims. Non attendance means admitting it. Often the CSA turn up and offer NO evidence at all. This is ILLEGAL and against your rights. They try to get you to NOT turn up to make their job easier. Attend and use the Duty Solicitor to save cash. You will NOT get legal aid to fight the CSA.

"I suggets you get a loan/credit card/" .. If any caseworker suggest this as a way to pay of their claimed arrears ask for their name. Then ask them if they are licensed to give Independent Financial Advice. When they say no inform them you are reporting them to the Financial Standards authority. Then do it. They WILL act on it.

Now all the above is well and good but accept one thing when dealing with the CSA. They go after those who will pay with a vengeance. Easy targets basically. And under the current laws as an absent father you have less rights than a criminal. If you drink drive you are entitled to a trial. The CSA dont need to prove anything these days, unlike the Police. The Standing order con is a case in point. If they say they sent a letter it is beyond reproach, I have a friend who sent his assesment in by recorderd delivery which was signed for, the CSA claimed it had not been received. They still do despite a reciept for the date and time it was !!. They have succesfully got laws passed that allow them to simply not bother discussing your case with you and go straight to your employer or just drag you into court on the flimsiest of evidence in certain scenarios. They will try to drag you into those scenarios. The new laws have effectively neutered your ability to contest them as per the old rules. The ony way to ensure you are assesed and treated fairly is to KNOW what limited powers you still have and then USE them.

Oh .. and keep your sense of humour. Dont buy into the deadbeat dad hype, the percentage of absent parents who dont pay for their children is about 30% for both sexes. Pay for your kid(s) and hold your head up becaue you are doing so. Also ensure you go after anyone at the CSA trying to con, threaten or slander you with a vengeance. Trust me .. they do not like it.

upolian
24-Jun-10, 15:56
Very interesting read! Good on you for sorting it out,i hope they get what is coming to them...

What is happening with the ex's friend?what conviction is this..slander?

onecalledk
24-Jun-10, 16:25
I have had dealings with the CSA from the other side of the fence where an absent parent who knows full well how to play the system escapes from the CSA altogether. I also have family who have been in the situation you have been so can see both sides of it.

I really feel for those parents who ARE making a contribution and feel that the way the CSA is set up is completely wrong. The CSA from experience tend to go after the dads they do find and HOUND them. Whilst the "dads" they were set up to chase go scott free. I put a complaint into them a few years ago and got MP involved. They bucked their ideas up for a while but I am now back to square one with them, the new system came in and out went the old one .......

They may well state they will take a father to court but in reality they wont. I know that all too well. It seems wholely dependant on the member of staff who answers the phone what happens next.

As for them deducting earnings I was told that the employer has 6 weeks to get back to them (long enough for those dads who have now been tipped off to disappear) and then its only a percentage. Arrears also cannot be taken at any amount any time , its all worked out by percentages. It appears that if you do co operate then as you have found out they go into hound mode !

Last year it was becoming a bit of a joke with a work colleague and myself as to whether staff EVER worked at the CSA. She had family who was having to phone them and was told they were in meetings, the same rubbish I was told. The caseload worker was always on long term sick or in a meeting.

The "dads" (i use the term loosely) who know how to play the system, who work, give up jobs, sign on , get caught, sign off will continue to evade the CSA as they havent a clue what they are doing or to whom.

There have been cases of fathers committing suicide due to the actions of this agency. I find it totally laughable they have told you they have to recoup arrears within 2 yrs, I have been waiting a hell of a lot longer than that for arrears and was told only earlier today (funnily enough) that if I had any info on the absent father could I let them know ? erm is that not their job ?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its time they were overhauled and sorted out. It would save the fathers who are paying from all the grief and perhaps deal with those who have NO INTENTION of paying for their children. The CSA have caused misery for millions in this country on both sides of the coin and have benefited VERY LITTLE children. It would be interesting to see how much the CSA costs to run compared to how much it has passed on to the children it should be helping. Bureacracy at its very best.

Interestingly this time round I wasnt told how much I was due in arrears that is always stated like it is a prize ... a prize that is never claimed, probably due to it being too much hassle to actually track down those absent fathers.......

good luck with your court case

K

Sara Jevo
24-Jun-10, 17:27
And how are the kid(s) in all this?

You didn't mention them once.

It's all about what you are or are not entitled to.

What about them?

Sorry if this sounds harsh - I've been there.

Biggest lesson I learned was to put the kids first in every decision.

wifie
24-Jun-10, 17:50
Very interesting read! Good on you for sorting it out,i hope they get what is coming to them...

What is happening with the ex's friend?what conviction is this..slander?

Emmm, is this just pure nosiness?

What about them?

Which poster is this aimed at? Mibbe they don't want to drag their children into this side of things or mention them on a public forum. Children should indeed not be forgotten or used in any parental split but sadly not everyone agrees with this.

Let's not forget the title of DD's thread here.

im behind you
24-Jun-10, 18:13
Emmm, is this just pure nosiness?

Which poster is this aimed at? Mibbe they don't want to drag their children into this side of things or mention them on a public forum. Children should indeed not be forgotten or used in any parental split but sadly not everyone agrees with this.

Let's not forget the title of DD's thread here.
concur well said

aurora32
24-Jun-10, 18:14
I think the whole purpose of the post was to highlight what a bunch lieing, threatening bullies the CSA are, it had no need for DD to mention his child/ren. It doesnt mean they are forgotten about just that there was no need for them to be dragged into the thread.

squidge
24-Jun-10, 18:20
I have a completely differnt experience of the CSA. When maintenance from my ex husband stopped they were very helpful. I phoned him and tried to get himto act quickly but he didnt. There were arrears of about £900 and they arranged for him to pay them in manageable amounts although they did arrest his earnings. He did not answer their letters or their phone calls but they did give him every opportunity and whenever i phoned I was given a sensible response. If someone said they would phoneback they did and they were able to answer my questions whenever i asked.

They did not threaten, bully or be rude to either of us now....get me talking about DWP and thats a completely different story:roll:

Rheghead
24-Jun-10, 18:33
When the CSA was first mooted by the tories, it had huge public support because the purpose was to go after biological fathers who have lots of kids to lots of mothers and leaving them to hold the baby with no income.

When it came into being, it just went after divorced fathers who were paying something but not enough according to their 'means tested formula'. They went after soft targets and not those that were its 'raison detre'.

onecalledk
24-Jun-10, 19:03
I have a completely differnt experience of the CSA. When maintenance from my ex husband stopped they were very helpful. I phoned him and tried to get himto act quickly but he didnt. There were arrears of about £900 and they arranged for him to pay them in manageable amounts although they did arrest his earnings. He did not answer their letters or their phone calls but they did give him every opportunity and whenever i phoned I was given a sensible response. If someone said they would phoneback they did and they were able to answer my questions whenever i asked.

They did not threaten, bully or be rude to either of us now....get me talking about DWP and thats a completely different story:roll:

wow ! you are the only person who I have come across that has had this sort of help from them. Most parents are like myself , going round in circles getting told various things by different "case load workers" and never seeing a penny of what is owed. When you open the local paper, see your ex smiling out from the page crowing about how there are jobs in the highlands for everyone alongside a photo of him then phone the CSA who tell you they have no idea where he is it is pretty gauling to say the least ......

K

Sara Jevo
24-Jun-10, 19:29
When the CSA was first mooted by the tories, it had huge public support because the purpose was to go after biological fathers who have lots of kids to lots of mothers and leaving them to hold the baby with no income.

When it came into being, it just went after divorced fathers who were paying something but not enough according to their 'means tested formula'. They went after soft targets and not those that were its 'raison detre'.

I think the CSA came to be driven by financial targets aimed at reducing the welfare bill.

They prioritised those cases where the resident parent was on benefit and pursued the absent parent, with the income from the absent parent substituting for benefit. Their officers will have skins like rhinos when it comes to pursuing money.

Re the other points, I'm sorry if that offended anyone. I take the point about the post being about the CSA. It's probably a topic for a more general thread about children living through parental break-up. The OP sent a personal message and I've replied to that.

debs
24-Jun-10, 19:32
[QUOTE=onecalledk;727175]wow ! you are the only person who I have come across that has had this sort of help from them. Most parents are like myself , going round in circles getting told various things by different "case load workers" and never seeing a penny of what is owed. When you open the local paper, see your ex smiling out from the page crowing about how there are jobs in the highlands for everyone alongside a photo of him then phone the CSA who tell you they have no idea where he is it is pretty gauling to say the least ......

Totally agree with what ur saying,ive appealed that many times ive lost count and every time it comes back saying nil assesment,how is it possible for my ex husband and his wife to own there own business both be directors in it,they run about in a fancy truck go on holidays but still he cant tell the truth about his earnings to the csa thats greed for u tho,they wont spare anything for the 2 kids he left behind but the kids will grow up and understand that there dad wasnt much of a dad to go and leave them behind and miss them growing up

The Drunken Duck
24-Jun-10, 19:38
I think we are seeing all sides of the failings of the CSA from other posts on the thread. The fact is this organisation operates by hammering those fathers (and mothers) who will pay and failing to track down those who wont.

Rheghead has hit the nail on the head, they just go for the easy targets. I wrote the first post and started the thread because I thought it may help others who were perhaps in the same situation as me. I know how I felt delaing with those clowns. Draconian measures are needed against absent parents who wont pay, no argument from me there. What is happening though is that these measures are being used against men and women who are willing to pay and are being bled dry, often to the detriment of their new families and even their health. A lad I used to work with took an overdose after the hounding he got for what he could simply could not pay.

If your an absent parent being hounded or a parent with care being let down I would suggest going for the juggular with them. Really get the bit in your teeth and dont let go. In my experience they do not like people taking them to task. If I had sat back and towed the line with them I would have been stung for the thousands they said I owed that I didn't !!, cost me a lot of stress and sleepless nights but it was worth it.

rainbow
24-Jun-10, 21:10
Debs - go for a variation (if they still exist) to say his income is inconsistent with his lifestyle ie he has no money but can afford an expensive lifestyle. Sounds like they have a good accountant who has managed to manipulate the books to look as if they have no money!!!

wifie
24-Jun-10, 22:39
@ Sara Jevo - sorry if I sounded like a cow - I just thought the original post was great and could prove useful but that there could be a bit of an Org slanging match which would take the thread off track. I have to say I was horrified to read the story too.

phil_moonbeam
25-Jun-10, 00:20
I can come from a dads side i have brought up my daughter on my own have had no help from my daughters mother at all csa tried to pursue her or i should say i had to fill out forms as i was unemployed at the time she runs a car has a job so must have money yet they dont pursue it if it had been the other way around i bet they would have persued me to the end of the earth it should be no different for a absent mother but it seems to be i have exsperienced it first hand rant over

weefee
25-Jun-10, 12:06
I am the parent with custody and the CSA are persuing ME for arrears, I have been threatened with legal action on a couple of occassions.

My daughter is nearly 15 and I received a payment of £1500 two years ago...i was also informed i would then recieve £40 per month. The regular payments didn't happen, eventually I received a letter informing me ......We sent you a giro for £1500 in Oct 2007, there has been an error in the calculation and you have been overpaid by....... £1500....please send back the giro.....you imagine my reaction.....:eek:

So not only have i brought my daughter up with no financial support I am now expected to pay the CSA for the privilege.......

The Drunken Duck
25-Jun-10, 13:00
I am the parent with custody and the CSA are persuing ME for arrears, I have been threatened with legal action on a couple of occassions.

My daughter is nearly 15 and I received a payment of £1500 two years ago...i was also informed i would then recieve £40 per month. The regular payments didn't happen, eventually I received a letter informing me ......We sent you a giro for £1500 in Oct 2007, there has been an error in the calculation and you have been overpaid by....... £1500....please send back the giro.....you imagine my reaction.....:eek:

So not only have i brought my daughter up with no financial support I am now expected to pay the CSA for the privilege.......

The threats of legal action are a bluff to try and scare people. What are they going to take you to court for ?? .. receiving money from them by mistake ?? .. ridiculous.

As a parent with care I would complain about the service directly to your MP and say that if you have indeed received money to which you are NOT entitled, and you want a breakdown showing this, you are holding on to it in lieu of the money you should have received. My MP was a big help, they are just about the only people the CSA are scared of.

Being told you owe arrears when you havent received what you were supposed to get just shows how thick some of the people at the CSA are.

weefee
25-Jun-10, 13:14
The threats of legal action are a bluff to try and scare people. What are they going to take you to court for ?? .. receiving money from them by mistake ?? .. ridiculous.

As a parent with care I would complain about the service directly to your MP and say that if you have indeed received money to which you are NOT entitled, and you want a breakdown showing this, you are holding on to it in lieu of the money you should have received. My MP was a big help, they are just about the only people the CSA are scared of.

Being told you owe arrears when you havent received what you were supposed to get just shows how thick some of the people at the CSA are.

What is also concerning is that it took them two years to discover this and some other poor person has had to wait........

I've told them they can take me to court...I'm more than happy to attend court, I will represent myself....and invite the newspapers....funnily enough I haven't had a summons as yet.......

bigjjuk
25-Jun-10, 13:25

What about them?

Sarajevo please note, that this thread was created about the CSA, not his children, im sure his children are perfectly happy and looked after, dont jump the gun, because he is not with them 24/7.

Great read and good on u

OOOOOPSSSS SAW YOU REPLIED WHEN I READ ON< SOZ SARA JEVO< ( just thought it was a bit aggressive to the poor fella)

The Drunken Duck
25-Jun-10, 14:45
What is also concerning is that it took them two years to discover this and some other poor person has had to wait........

I've told them they can take me to court...I'm more than happy to attend court, I will represent myself....and invite the newspapers....funnily enough I haven't had a summons as yet.......

Write to your MP, the CSA have to take notice of what they say. Once I got my MP involved their attitude changed .. rapidly. Basically MP's are the only people they have to answer to !!