PDA

View Full Version : Castletown

Olin
23-Jun-10, 15:18
I know this is a very small and probably easy to answer question but I thought I would post it anyways.....

Is Castletown actually a town?

I was discussing this with someone at work and we didn't know....

goldenguernsey
23-Jun-10, 15:21
Does it have a castle?

Even Chance
23-Jun-10, 15:32
I only recently pondered the very same question. Where does the name Castletown actually come from. Was there a castle? Im almost 100% sure there was no castle.

Over to you guys n' gals for an answer...............

Phoebus_Apollo
23-Jun-10, 15:56
According to Wiki its a village with a population of 800 (2006 census)....so no it ain`t a town.

Lavenderblue2
23-Jun-10, 16:44
Hope this is of interest Olin,

Castletown: the castle comes from the earlier Castlehill but it is doubtful if there ever was a castle there. The Shelly Hillock, an old kitchen midden, could have been mistaken for the ruins of an old stronghold.

This is an excerpt from The Caithness Book (1972) edited by Donald Omand

Duncansby
23-Jun-10, 17:01
The New Statistical Account for the parish of Olrig mentions the establishment of Castletown during the growth of the stone industry in the mid 19th century. I'm guessing Castletown derived from Castlehill, but where the 'castle' bit comes from I don't know.

As the village was built on the property of James Trail, the town bit may derive simply from the fact that it was built on the 'townland' - area subdivided into agricultural units.

http://stat-acc-scot.edina.ac.uk/sas/sas.asp/?monospace=&twoup=&nohighlight=&account=2&transcript=&session-id=079788dbdfc8967421727709e855c4ea&naecache=8&accountrec=014803&navbar=&action=publicdisplay&parish=Olrick&county=Caithness&pagesize=#pageimage

Dog-eared
23-Jun-10, 20:51
Or Mr Traill upping the name to Castletown for his prestige ?