PDA

View Full Version : axed after 42 years

coastown
21-Jun-06, 21:07
top of the pops is saying goodbye after 42 years

DW
21-Jun-06, 21:17
World War two ended on 02 September 1945.

landmarker
21-Jun-06, 21:24
AYe, I remember the first. Not the forst war, but the first 'top of the pops'
The Stones, and Dusty I recall. It wa sbroadcast from an old church in Manchester originally.

I watched it on and off right up to the present day but the early ones were the best in my opinion.
It's a shame but it was out of time, in an age where music is accessible so readily by different means. r.i.p.t.o.t.p.

Sporran
22-Jun-06, 05:02
Aww, that is a shame! :( I too used to watch it from its early years onwards. Landmarker's right, it was better in the old days. Jimmy Savile was the best presenter, in my opinion. Remember when he had blond hair on one side, and black on the other? :lol: When I was a kid, I wanted to be one of the Pan's People dancers. Later on, it was a different group of girls - Legs & Co., I think.

katarina
22-Jun-06, 07:47

Another era comes to an end. sigh.

MGB1979
22-Jun-06, 08:37
Why is it a shame? Your TV licences are being used to pay for these so-called pop stars to mime their latest banality in front of a few hundred glue-sniffing chavs. I'm glad it's gone, it was rubbish.

clash67
22-Jun-06, 14:58
Why is it a shame? Your TV licences are being used to pay for these so-called pop stars to mime their latest banality in front of a few hundred glue-sniffing chavs. I'm glad it's gone, it was rubbish.

I agree, however Top of The Pops wasn't always like that, there used to be actual real musicians on T.O.T.Ps not a bunch of plastic talentless devas that wouldn't even get a second look at a pub gig if it wasn't for the thousands of pounds that gets pumped into promoting their soleless garbage, take "Aqua" for instance..what were they all about??? or the crazyfrog song ? The early T.O.T.Ps w2as the highlight of my week when I was wee, Mud, Slade,The BayCity Rollers, Sweet..actual musicians.

Gleber2
22-Jun-06, 15:23
Mud, Slade,The BayCity Rollers, Sweet..actual musicians.

Who mimed every note!!!!!!

Chillie
22-Jun-06, 17:40

Too true!, don't know about the glue sniffing though, maybe some high man stuff, anyway must fly, UHU.[lol]

obiron
22-Jun-06, 18:01
totp usd to be a highlight of my week always wanted to be in the audience its a shame it went so downhill. the folk they have presenting is rubbish and the music is terrible. lots of bland music like shayne ward etc. most people nowadays watch mtv or another music channel.

Oatcakes
23-Jun-06, 00:27
never mind your t.o.t.p rubbish get back to the good old days when music was made on an old biscuit tin a cat skin tambourine and a selection off dogs teeth made a great xylophone.

long before the days of t.o.t.p :D

bingo1
23-Jun-06, 17:41
What a shame i used to love watching top of the pops.:~(

Cedric Farthsbottom III
23-Jun-06, 23:14
Top o' The Pops was must see Thursday night telly,the same as listening to the Top 40 on a Sunday night with Bruno Brookes on Radio 1.Suppose its the same as everything,24 hour music channels just took over and Top o' the Pops couldnae keep up with it.

A part o' its magic was the DJ's that presented it DLT,Simon Mayo,John Peel,Janice Long,etc all folk that loved their music that ye could relate to.The presenters recently were a case of "Who are you!!!!"-either that or I'm gettin' old.:lol: :lol: