PDA

View Full Version : V.A.T. going up yo 20%

Kodiak
22-Jun-10, 13:35
So V.A.T. is going up to 20% in January next year. I think between now and then I must buy everything I will need for the next year to avoid the extra V.A.T..

How will this bugget affect you all? At least there is no rise to the Fuel Duty. :)

cazmanian_minx
22-Jun-10, 14:53
I think I'm actually going to be marginally better off - the increase to the personal allowance will offset the VAT. Very good news that they're looking at a rural fuel duty rebate before the October spending review.

aurora32
22-Jun-10, 14:56
I think if the state of how labour left the country financially is to be believed, i dont think the budget as a whole was overly bad. The way it was being covered by the press prior to today i was expecting far worse.

theone
22-Jun-10, 15:55
At least there is no rise to the Fuel Duty. :)

Apart from the 3 pence or so a litre the extra VAT adds..............

The Drunken Duck
22-Jun-10, 16:00
All of us were going to take a hit in some way, the shambles that Liarbour left behind meant that was inevitable.

Yes, it will hurt but the simple facts are that it has to be done.

brandy
22-Jun-10, 16:12
from what i heard.. it seems pretty fair across the board.i know that it will be hard on most folks but at least it is evenly spaced and seems to be well thought out and planned

Tubthumper
22-Jun-10, 16:51
Our VAT was the lowest in Europe for ages. Our public servants are getting a pay freeze rather than a pay cut (like Ireland and others have had). No big rises in income tax needed. Decent breaks for the lower paid. No major piercing of the richer types. Business breaks.
We don't seem to have done as badly as some other countries, so is that the work of a chronically inept previous government? I think not. And though it pains me to say it, not a bad start by the new crew (although we may be in for more pain later!)
A truly appalling financial state would have resulted in far more painful measures. As it is, getting people off icapacity and into work, capping housing benefit, no tax increase on cider... could be worse.

Venture
22-Jun-10, 17:00
I couldn't help but notice that the Liberals didn't seem to be jumping up and down with excitement as much as the Tories were while the Budget was being read out. I wonder why?:roll:

Gordon Bonnet
22-Jun-10, 17:22
Splendid - this brings us into line with the rest of Europe - and it's not on food or kids clothes.

I hope the small stimulus to the private sector will result in a shift from this terrible over reliance on public sector employment, as is becoming prevalent in Scotland.

I expect to be paying more for some things. As a modest earner the increased income tax threshold is most welcome.

I've not heard much more having been incommunicado for much of the day - this day of days of all days.....will comment more later. Perhaps.

John Little
22-Jun-10, 17:55
Ah well - I'm still glad I bought the Mac!!

teenybash
22-Jun-10, 18:03
As far as budgets go this was reasonable and seemed fair considering the shambles left behind by the previous government.

Tubthumper
22-Jun-10, 18:06
As far as budgets go this was reasonable and seemed fair considering the shambles left behind by the previous government.
Who says it's a shambles? How bad have we had it compared to Ireland? Or Greece? There's your shambles!
What would you expect the incoming government to do - say well done??

Sara Jevo
22-Jun-10, 18:11
I still blame the bankers.

A 25 per cent cut in departmental spending will mean public services disappearing and others retreating.

Taxes up, spending down . . . we knew it was coming.

glaikit
22-Jun-10, 18:43
Oh, I think I'll wait before forming an opinion. Not quite ready to say hurrah for the Tories quite yet:D, or indeed ever.

Gordon Bonnet
22-Jun-10, 19:01
Who says it's a shambles? How bad have we had it compared to Ireland? Or Greece? There's your shambles!
What would you expect the incoming government to do - say well done??

I'm afraid you're out of kilter.
If you're thumping a tub for the previous Government then it's a very forlorn, leaky one indeed. The kind you might see leaning at crazy angles outside a run-down smallholding....which is what we are in danger of becoming unless someone gets a grip. There are still a few conviction politicians in the Liberal party and they could not have been convinced to go along with this unless days were dire indeed.

Comblair the legacy left to Labour in 1997...except you can't. The economy was on the up after years of recession and slow recovery.Precisely where me MIGHT be once more in three or four years time. Without these, and similar measures we'd be up excrement creek without so much as a paddle for your, or anyone's tub.

History will prove the Blair-Brown years to have been profligate beyond measure - and a huge con trick foisted upon those who make up the backbone of this country (Britain)

Mrs Bucket
22-Jun-10, 20:01
If you're thumping a tub for the previous Government then it's a very forlorn, leaky one indeed. The kind you might see leaning at crazy angles outside a run-down smallholding....which is what we are in danger of becoming unless someone gets a grip. There are still a few conviction politicians in the Liberal party and they could not have been convinced to go along with this unless days were dire indeed.

Comblair the legacy left to Labour in 1997...except you can't. The economy was on the up after years of recession and slow recovery.Precisely where me MIGHT be once more in three or four years time. Without these, and similar measures we'd be up excrement creek without so much as a paddle for your, or anyone's tub.

History will prove the Blair-Brown years to have been profligate beyond measure - and a huge con trick foisted upon those who make up the backbone of this country (Britain)
Interesting I think Im going to like your posts

ducati
22-Jun-10, 20:08
Of course it will take about a year to make back what was lost by Brown's completely pointless reduction in VAT. I can't say I noticed the price difference, except, as I worked in a shop at the time, the huge cost and extra workload. :roll:

Tubthumper
22-Jun-10, 21:55
Gosh, I'm going to have to work some to top your input Mr B! Style AND substance - what a comination!
Dismiss all you like, but we don't appear to be as sunk as some countries. And profligate they might have been but many people have gained a lot from the past few years. Quite good fun too. As for the poor conned backbone of the country, I think you'll find they're the people who took full advantage of the goodies on offer. Along with most Tory voters. And many bankers, consultants, entrepeneurs and other greedy types.
You might have noticed that I did offer respect to the new young bucks for a sound start (if a bit melodramatic). Let's wait 10-13 years down the line and then discuss the dismal performance of the tory government which has run out of ideas and is drowning in sleaze. Probably have a laugh at the incoming government's assertion that the country's been left in a terrible state...

cazmanian_minx
23-Jun-10, 06:37
A friend of mine reckons we need a constant cycle of a few years of Labour to get all the social changes needed through and then a few years of Conservatives to sort the financial mess out again - I'm inclined to agree!