PDA

View Full Version : Stonehenge strategies

bagpuss
21-Jun-10, 20:44
Oh dear- in order to dance round Stonehenge tonight, the druids and hippies will not be able to access the site from a superduper visitor centre with parking and loos- at least not for another decade, as the £25m project has been shelved as one of Mr Osborne's cuts.

However, if mr O really wanted to find out how to save the cash, he could do worse than look to a Lib Dem constituency and see how we care for tourist sites in Caithness. Enter Wick and no- there's not been an earthquake. The fact that 2 garages and a cinema have fallen down and not been rebuilt is down to that great austerity policy of laisser faire- or should that read let it fall?

And as for the opposite of Landsend- how many tourist highlights feature a boarded up dangerous building and a half empty retail park?

yes- John Thurso and Jamie Stone's consituencies also include Skibo; Dornoch; Falls of Shin and various distilleries, but when it comes to spending public dosh on Groats, no-one could possibly accuse our local politicians and counciillors or wasting cash on trivial ventures

Or might that be an own goal?

Gronnuck
21-Jun-10, 21:42
Much of Stonehenge has been around for 4,500 years and has managed without a visitor centre so far; I don’t think a few more years will make much difference; (nice of the architect to site it next to the A303 :lol:)

If we’re honest about Groats it isn’t the sort of place that’s ever going to be crowded with visitors. It’s at the end of the country’s longest cul de sac and there’s nothing to make people want to hang around for very long.
As I understand the hotel can’t be demolished because it’s an iconic building and the powers that be now want it to be an iconic eyesore. I think it might make a good International Bikers Hostel since there are a lot of them around the far north at this time of year. Maybe we could pressgang them into staying for a night or two :lol:!
The retail park is never going to fill up with shops because there are never enough visitors to make it viable.

Last time I was at Lands End there was a £5 charge to enter the place and it was all a bit tacky.

Kevin Milkins
22-Jun-10, 01:09
I have just got back from a midnight stroll on Reiss beech, and although a fantastic night I didn't see any druids and hippies down there either, as a matter of fact, apart from a camper van parked up against the dogie do bin, there was not a soul about at all, (which surprised me).

I thought it was more than very reasonable of me, not to disturb the people sleeping in the camper van by rattling the bin, but had to suffer the smell of a couple of Caspers trophies all the way home.:confused