PDA

View Full Version : hoax calls

horsegirl
21-Jun-10, 20:42
I am wanting to make everyone aware that there are people phoning around saying that they are with windows computer assistance. They are saying that they are aware that u have a problem/viruses on your computer and they can help u fix it, if u give them premission to log onto ur computer. They will fix any small problems but any larger problems they will have till charge you for.

This person that called us had a asian voice and was called Robert Smith.

If u get this caller please inform the police as they are looking into this. This is a hoax and they are just wanting your money from you.

Kodiak
21-Jun-10, 21:37
Yes this has been going on for some time, I personally have my phone set so that anyone who phones with a witheld number do not get connected. Also been talked about in this thread :-

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=112188

poppett
21-Jun-10, 22:39
Thank you Kodiak....knew I had seen it discussed recently here.

mumof2
21-Jun-10, 22:58
thanks for the heads up on this as i think all these prats tend to phone me at some point.

pat
01-Jul-10, 13:37
Had an asian sounding gentleman on the phone yesterday telling me I was having problems with the speed of computer
No I am not (did buy a new laptop three weeks a month ago though)
Go onto your computer and I will talk you through how to repair the problem - his name was John
I advised him I was not a moron to fall for his line then told him to urinate off and have not heard from him since.
Do you think this might have been part of the same team????

They must get some folk following their instructions and leaving themselves open to all sorts.

teenybash
01-Jul-10, 14:23
Had a similar call and simply said I didn't have the time to lsten and hung up.

Shabbychic
02-Jul-10, 13:22
Hubbie just had one of these calls. Funnily enough the door went just as he realised what the call was, so he said hang on and left the phone where the dog could be heard barking his brains out, and the parrot going through a reportoire of, "shut-up", "quack quack quack quack quack....peep, peep", and "Donald where's your troosirs". Amazingly when he got back, the guy had hung up. :D

RecQuery
02-Jul-10, 13:36
Heard about this happening locally, I've actually wanted to get the call so I can setup a VM pretend to be clueless and see what exactly they're trying to do.

dx100uk
02-Jul-10, 14:14
Heard about this happening locally, I've actually wanted to get the call so I can setup a VM pretend to be clueless and see what exactly they're trying to do.

yep
always got my sandbox running ready

dx

overthewallandfaraway
02-Jul-10, 21:46
I pretend to be clueless .

Why pretend? your no fooling us...........

Kitcat
02-Jul-10, 22:19
I am wanting to make everyone aware that there are people phoning around saying that they are with windows computer assistance. They are saying that they are aware that u have a problem/viruses on your computer and they can help u fix it, if u give them premission to log onto ur computer. They will fix any small problems but any larger problems they will have till charge you for.

This person that called us had a asian voice and was called Robert Smith.

If u get this caller please inform the police as they are looking into this. This is a hoax and they are just wanting your money from you.

Who is the police officer dealing with this and the number to call?

Dadie
02-Jul-10, 22:27
I just hand the phone over to Lauren and hide in the bathroom... usually I have cleaned the loo and bath they have hung up on her...4yo kids have their uses ...and she loves telling people on the phone all her news even though she may tell them im in the bathroom I dont care...if really unlucky for them se will let Iona speak too (Iona is 2) must waste more of their time than mine (I just put the phone on speakerphone and listen in..you can get a good laugh sometimes)

Bazeye
03-Jul-10, 12:39
Just blow an Acme Thunderer (Referees whistle) down the line and perforate his eardrum.