PDA

View Full Version : Tam White at Mackay's

Gleber2
21-Jun-10, 18:24
It it with great sadness that I have to report that legendary Scottish singer, Tam White, passed away earlier today from a heart attack. RIP Tam.
The concert at which Tam was to be playing on Saturday night will go ahead as a memorial night for a great performer. On stage will be Scottish one man blues band, Mike Whellans, who is a class act himself and very well known. He has just returned from jazz festivals in France and Germany.

Gleber2
22-Jun-10, 13:39
http://api.ning.com/files/aEYqpZLi0cR*c71DaBELWcs7DgLr0pU0MDIdv4BJ4ywu0Yong4 QycMMpdpMcULtonMbrtqG3B6UwRTHPThgTjziycjCXgoQt/tw_marnie.jpg?width=208

Scottish blues singer Tam White dies at 68

Tam White has been the heart and soul of Scottish Blues for over 50 years, the news came to us that his gig in Thurso this Saturday had been cancelled, due to a heart attack, sadly his web site carried this announcement yesterday.

"It is with great sadness to announce that Tam passed away today. May our thoughts be with his wife Moira and children."

A very well kent face around his native Edinburgh and a huge figure around the blues circuit, founder of the Boston Dexter's, who were quickly lured away to London to become the resident band in the legendary Pontiac club in Putney, where almost every band of the day topped the bill, they met and partied with Manfred Mann, the Kinks, the Yard birds, you name 'em. like John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, with Eric Clapton. The Dexters living above the venue as part of their deal. The flat becoming a party hub of the fledgling UK British Blues Scene. Joe Meek took and interest in the the Dexters, and in Tam personaly by all acounts, bring a swift and gruff rebuttal, they evenuatly settled with Columbia Records. A series of singles, whose B sides betrayed their real interest in soul and R&B, flopped. But, White was picked up by Decca Records and groomed to be the next Tom Jones, sharing the, popular in the day, package tours ,with the likes of Long John Baldry's Steampacket, featuring Elton John, Rod Stewart, and Julie Driscoll, and a prototype Slade. The unlikely adventure only succeeded in sending him back disillusioned to Edinburgh , where he had a flirtation with cabaret.

The 1970s White had fronted his own STV series as a ballad singer/comedian, won the television talent show, New Faces, and was the first person to sing live on Top of the Pops, with a surprise top 40 hit, What in the World's Come Over You.

In 1980, he started singing the blues again., and was the start of his real successes, at home and abroad, touring Europe and Australia. The ''new'' Dexters, featuring a young but already brilliant Brian Kellock, were a big attraction locally with a rocking residency at the infamous Preservation Halls pulling blues fans from all over the country. His big band, with former King Crimson and Bad Company bassist Boz Burrell, really hit the heights with an other residency, this time at the world famous Ronnie Scott's jazz club In London where like the Presi ques began to form around-the block long before the doors opened.

With his rugged appearance and equaly rugged speaking voice, he also attracted TV work, appearing in Taggart and Wreck on the Highway. White, provided the singing voice for Robbie Coltrane's character Big Jazza McGlone in John Byrne's television series Tutti Frutti in 1987. He appeared on screen himself as Clan Chief MacGregor in Braveheart and in television shows such as Rebus and Taggart. latterly he hit a rich vein as a songwriting poet drawing on all his life experience, and finding the perfect understated vehicle for his own material with old pals guitarist Jim Condie, harmonica player Fraser Spears and the afore mentioned Boz Burrell as the Shoe String Band.

He remained about the busiest man in Blues right up to his passing this week.

Tam will be greatly missed and the Scottish Blues community will be altered irrevocably and lessened immeasurably by his loss.

Tubthumper
22-Jun-10, 23:40
Seeya Tam. A great bloke, a great talent.

butterfly
27-Jun-10, 00:44
It it with great sadness that I have to report that legendary Scottish singer, Tam White, passed away earlier today from a heart attack. RIP Tam.
The concert at which Tam was to be playing on Saturday night will go ahead as a memorial night for a great performer. On stage will be Scottish one man blues band, Mike Whellans, who is a class act himself and very well known. He has just returned from jazz festivals in France and Germany.

Thanks to John and Isaac for the great entertainment ,what can i say,your gigs just get better and better and i wont forget Mike Whellans for his one man band,it blew me away,absolutely the best night i have had in a long while.Well done to the three of you's for such a brilliant time.The crowd just loved it and were rocking in their seats!The banter was spot on too.See you for the next one and i am sure it will be worth waiting for.Cheers lads!

Tubthumper
27-Jun-10, 00:48
I hope youse raised a glass to Tam...?

butterfly
27-Jun-10, 00:59
I hope youse raised a glass to Tam...?

Many glasses,many raises,many mentions.

Aaldtimer
27-Jun-10, 03:59
A super nights entertainment! Mike just electrifies(and I don't mean just the PA) the Blues, I've enjoyed his performances for the best part of 40 years... the moothie playing and "head drums" is just amazing!
Wonderfully apt final tribute to Tam with "Pilgrim on the Road" (Steve Earle).
Had to leave before the final jam...the poor dog had been on his own for about 5 hours by then!:(
Oh and Johnny and Isaac were fine too!:)