PDA

View Full Version : 3 Caithness Writers in Edinburgh

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Jun-10, 17:20
There's a rare chance to see three Caithness writers in the nation’s capital reading from their work and discussing how Caithness has influenced their writing.

Chaired by journalist, broadcaster and writer Lesley Riddoch, who spent childhood summers in Wick and whose family is from the town.

George Gunn is a poet and playwright and founder and artistic director of Grey Coast Theatre Company, based in Caithness. He was born and brought up in Dunnet, a village on the north coast of Caithness.

Ewan Morrison is the author of the novels, Ménage, Distance and Swung and of the short story collection The Last Book you Read. He's originally from Wick.

Kevin Williamson writes poetry, fiction and non-fiction and was founder and editor of the Rebel Inc publishing house. His books include Drugs and the Party Line and In A Room Darkened. He's originally from Thurso.

6:30pm Thursday 24 June 2010
Central Library, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh
The event is FREE and complimentary drinks will be served
Booking is essential, please contact:
readerdevelopment@edinburgh.gov.uk / 0131 242 8100

There has never been an event like it before, so a bit disappointing to see just a paragraph mentioning this in the Groat. Anyway, this is a significant event so if you can get along, please do.

Sara Jevo
21-Jun-10, 17:54
Maybe I am a cultural philistine lol but I never understood why people would want to go an to event to hear an author read their book. I enjoy books - but I'd much rather read one than have someone read it to me lol.

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Jun-10, 17:55
Reading helps you learn. If you read the post, you will see that the writers are discussing how Caithness has influenced their writing.

canuck
21-Jun-10, 20:28
TPC, I'll watch for you in the crowd. :)

Kestrel
22-Jun-10, 11:34
I'll be there with some colleagues, coming from Thurso and living in the big city it'll be great to hear some local voices.

As I'm planning to focus my dissertation on how Scottish literature reflects personal experience of Scottish life, I'll be extremely interested to hear about the authours' own experiences/influences.

Is anyone else of Caithness descent attending?

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Jun-10, 13:53
I'll be there with some colleagues, coming from Thurso and living in the big city it'll be great to hear some local voices.

As I'm planning to focus my dissertation on how Scottish literature reflects personal experience of Scottish life, I'll be extremely interested to hear about the authours' own experiences/influences.

Is anyone else of Caithness descent attending?

I'll definitely be going along. This sort of thing doesn't happen very often so I'm sure it will be well worth the effort.

Kestrel
22-Jun-10, 13:56
Did you get my PM Pepsi Challenge? Hope you don't think I'm mad! Ha

Dog-eared
22-Jun-10, 22:40
George Gunn used to be married to Leslie Riddoch.

It's a small world ! :D

Tubthumper
22-Jun-10, 23:03
I like George Gunn's poetry, but I get the feeling from the 'Pictish Navy' column that he's not been very happy with Caithness.

Sporran
23-Jun-10, 05:27
George Gunn used to be married to Leslie Riddoch.

It's a small world ! :D

I remember George Gunn from Thurso High School. He was in the year behind me, and we were both taught English by 'Granny Gunn' (Mrs Margaret Gunn), who was also a mine of information on local history.

I didn't know George was married to Lesley Riddoch at one time, though.

I would love to attend the Three Caithness Writers' event on Thursday, but alas, I'm on the wrong side of the Pond at the moment! :(

plutonio
23-Jun-10, 07:41
Ewan Morrison was in my class at school, i read his book the "The Last book you read" it certainly will be the last book i read of his, i found it most tedious and didn't even finish it.

The Pepsi Challenge
23-Jun-10, 11:24
Did you get my PM Pepsi Challenge? Hope you don't think I'm mad! Ha

I did, aye. Sent you one back.

stumpy
23-Jun-10, 14:48
Thanks for the link,Pepsi.Have just had a reply and it looks like there are still tickets left.I should be packing for the removal van,but it'd be good to hear George and Kevin again.Haven't read any of Ewan's work,so it would be interesting to hear how he sees himself.Should be an interesting evening.

wifie
23-Jun-10, 16:48
PMSL! Who was trying to herd cats on here not so long ago? ;)

Lesley Riddoch is gi'in' it a shot now!

http://www.lesleyriddoch.co.uk/2010/05/caithness-in-edinburgh.html

Good heads up Pepsi!

Dog-eared
23-Jun-10, 21:02
Good link ! :)

canuck
25-Jun-10, 09:23
It was a lovely evening. The crowd was attentive. The speakers diverse. The questions provocative.

And as a bonus I had a great blether with Pepsi and Kestrel.

pinotnoir
26-Jun-10, 00:11
I never knew we had a Caithness novelist/short story writer, wouldn't it be great to have an event like this in Caithness.

From the link to Lesley Riddoch above I found the recording of the Gaelic/Caithness debate held earlier this year, it was the most good natured heated debate I've heard, we have a great champion of Caithness culture in Lesley Riddoch.