PDA

View Full Version : Advertising, iconography & Wayne Rooney

landmarker
21-Jun-06, 18:43
It has caused a stir.
Wayne Rooney. Naked. Arms outstretched , fists clenched, mouth wide open, in a celebratory or perhaps aggressive pose. His body is smeared with blood like red paint, forming a cross of St.Geroge which extends over his face, across both arms and hands and down to his midriff.

It's Nike's new advertising photo.

Have you seen it? What do you think of it? There has been reaction for and against. Fundamentalist Christians take exception to it.Are they justified, or just being er....fundamentalist and over precious?

IT disturbed me a little initially, but I took my hat off to those who thought of it, because it is a good concept. On balance though I feel the agression/celebration should have been toned down a bit. They could look very silly if an exit beckons.

Will it sell more boots?

Probably. I just hope they offer the wearer better protection than Rooneys'
In conclusion I think they should have kept this under wraps in case the Ecuadorians shove it up us. It is entirely possible, unlikely but.......
(banter thread closed so I had to post anew)

Nello
21-Jun-06, 19:15
Its just an ad, let the English be proud of their sporting heroes.

And I think these Fundementalist Christians should calm down a bit really, just like the Muslims who said the cross of St George is an offensive symbol to them because it symbolises the crusades, Political Correctness has gone mad these days, I remember reading a story in the paper that taxi drivers in Blackpool were banned from wearing England tops in case it offended someone.

scorrie
21-Jun-06, 20:35
It has caused a stir.
Wayne Rooney. Naked. Arms outstretched , fists clenched, mouth wide open, in a celebratory or perhaps aggressive pose. His body is smeared with blood like red paint, forming a cross of St.Geroge which extends over his face, across both arms and hands and down to his midriff.

It's Nike's new advertising photo.

Have you seen it? What do you think of it? There has been reaction for and against. Fundamentalist Christians take exception to it.Are they justified, or just being er....fundamentalist and over precious?

IT disturbed me a little initially, but I took my hat off to those who thought of it, because it is a good concept. On balance though I feel the agression/celebration should have been toned down a bit. They could look very silly if an exit beckons.

Will it sell more boots?

Probably. I just hope they offer the wearer better protection than Rooneys'
In conclusion I think they should have kept this under wraps in case the Ecuadorians shove it up us. It is entirely possible, unlikely but.......
(banter thread closed so I had to post anew)

I'd be more worried about the fact that Nike pay people in Vietnamese sweatshops about 4p an hour to make boots they then charge £200 a pair for. They then pay already overpaid "icons" a fortune to advertise cheaply made goods.

I hope that the Ecudorians can do the business wearing their Woolies sannies ;o)

landmarker
21-Jun-06, 20:43
I'd be more worried about the fact that Nike pay people in Vietnamese sweatshops about 4p an hour to make boots they then charge £200 a pair for. They then pay already overpaid "icons" a fortune to advertise cheaply made goods.

I hope that the Ecudorians can do the business wearing their Woolies sannies ;o)
I agree with you and that does concern me, yet I cannot carry the weight of the world, only what I see before me. I'd never buy Nike stuff by the way.

Incidentally, we will be having a sunday afternoon barbie/party down here and victory for Ecuador will cock it up entirely.If we must go out, let it be agin someone with a reputation.Please.