PDA

View Full Version : Kitten Questions

Bloo
21-Jun-10, 00:54
Hey all. Ok, so im getting a kitten and have a few questions.

I already have a cat and a dog (both very good with each other, no fighting). Im expecting hissing from the cat but what will the dogs reaction be?

When do i let my kitten out? A year, 6 months? My cat was only let out when she was about 1 and a half as we lived near a busy main road then when we moved we started letting her out.

Should i get my kitten tagged? My cat isnt tagged because it looked painful so i just put a safety collar on her with a name tag and number. The same again?

Male cats "spray". Why, how often and when will it begin? Thank alot. Any other advice that you could give would be great.

teenybash
21-Jun-10, 01:25
Hi Bloo...glad you are getting a kitten and one can never say for sure what the reaction of established pets will be to the new arrival and vice versa.
What I have done in the past when introducing kitten to dog was to hold the kitten and let the dog sniff, talking to the dog the whole time. Should you feel the kitten becoming tense then it's time to stop the introduction and reassure kitten. I would suggest take your time and all should be fine.
Letting the kitten out will depend on where you live and how safe it is and as for spraying.....as soon as you see those little nodules appear, it's time for the vet to do their job and you shouldn't have trouble with spraying.
Good luck with your new arrival and reading all the good advice you will get from pets corner.......... Of course we will all want to see pics of your little friend:)

ShelleyCowie
21-Jun-10, 12:16
Hey all. Ok, so im getting a kitten and have a few questions.

I already have a cat and a dog (both very good with each other, no fighting). Im expecting hissing from the cat but what will the dogs reaction be?

When do i let my kitten out? A year, 6 months? My cat was only let out when she was about 1 and a half as we lived near a busy main road then when we moved we started letting her out.

Should i get my kitten tagged? My cat isnt tagged because it looked painful so i just put a safety collar on her with a name tag and number. The same again?

Male cats "spray". Why, how often and when will it begin? Thank alot. Any other advice that you could give would be great.

Introducing new animals is unpredictable. Do what teenybash has said. Also a feliway defuser helps to calm animals moods. They are really good and can also stop cats spraying. Pretty sure you get them at Pets At Home.

My kitty Brenon when i had him was out really early. I couldnt keep him in as his "instinct" being a bengal was to go outside. He never went as far as the garden though.

Got him neutered when i thought he was ready for it. He started getting dominant so that was off to the vets with him.

Hope to see photos of your kitty when you get it :D xxx