PDA

View Full Version : Computer games

Rheghead
21-Jun-06, 15:30
What is your favorite computer game and why?

Mine is Empire Earth because I can be a ruthless general followed by Delta force 2 so I can have a good shoot em up online.

I am thinking of getting Football Manager 2006, has anyone tried it?

:D

unicorn
21-Jun-06, 15:31
Mine was always Zelda in any shape or form lol I spent many weeks of my life on that game.

MGB1979
21-Jun-06, 16:44
I mainly play football and racing games, Pro Evo, Fifa, SWOS, PGR2, Need for Speed etc, but I'm hooked on Pinball Fantasies just now.

I've not played Football Manager (or CM as it used to be) for a few years now, I just don't have the 15+ hours a day of free time. :lol:

Tiger Jones
21-Jun-06, 16:56
My favourite of all time is Elite. A space trading / shoot-em-up. I played it on a few platforms: Spectrum, Acorn Electron, Atari ST and PC. It was a huge game and I liked the idea of travelling to different star systems and getting the best prices for your cargo. There were also opportunities along the way to make some cash in bounty hunting :cool: Fights with pirates ships were usually quite hair-raising.

Also used to love Sensible Soccer.

Current favourite (though an oldish game) is Half Life: Opposing Force.

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Jun-06, 17:03
Mr. Do's Castle, Hyper Sports '84, Moon Patrol, Pacland, I could go on...

tip top
21-Jun-06, 17:04
chuckie egg!!

MGB1979
21-Jun-06, 17:10
Mr. Do's Castle, Hyper Sports '84, Moon Patrol, Pacland, I could go on...
Hyper Sports is good, I actually built a full size arcade cab with a mate so we could play it properly. :|

codex
21-Jun-06, 19:41
Counterstrike and Quake 3 Arena :Razz

Ricco
21-Jun-06, 19:53
My all time favourite was Twin Kingdom (for the Archimedes), but I never found a PC version. My current fave is the Myst series. I am on Myst 4 and lost in a pitch plack void - I'll have to go back to an earlier save.

DW
21-Jun-06, 20:09
Currently enjoying Grand Theft Auto - Liberty.......... on the PSP

Magician
22-Jun-06, 10:10
Tactics Arena Online. In short, it's a versatile game, in which you have to be competent in all different styles to succeed. On the plus, it's online based, so available to everyone! Yay!

candyfloss
22-Jun-06, 10:29
I used to love the Lemmings, aww... cute little thingshttp://media.ign.com/thumb/147/1475347/lemmings-20060423100706997_thumb.jpg

pedromcgrory
22-Jun-06, 10:47
soldier of fortune online

Jeid
22-Jun-06, 13:53
Football Manager 2006, I have it, its pretty good. Think they are planning a new release this year. Up to date transfers etc. Possibly out by the end of the year. Been playing that game for 10years now(since CM96/97).

Just started playing Counter Strike Source.

Someone said Sensible Soccer? They've just made a new version for the PC. You should find it on gameplay or any other good online retailer :D

Bingobabe
22-Jun-06, 23:58
Mines is resident evil or silent hill to afraid to play them by myself!!!!lol[lol]

BazzaG
23-Jun-06, 10:45
Any Football Manager game for me. Also any shoot em up games for the pc

Ashes
23-Jun-06, 12:12
What is your favorite computer game and why?

Mine is Empire Earth because I can be a ruthless general followed by Delta force 2 so I can have a good shoot em up online.

I am thinking of getting Football Manager 2006, has anyone tried it?

:D

How do you get to play these games on line, I tried a search engine but mostly got the standard, BUY THIS GAME FOR ££££ can someone give Websites etc.
Kind regards Ashes

Rheghead
23-Jun-06, 12:42
Ashes, you have to get/buy the cd and use their multiplayer facility.

moncur
23-Jun-06, 13:35
has anyone played GTA liberty city stories yet? If so what is it like and is it any different fae the others?

DW
23-Jun-06, 17:18
has anyone played GTA liberty city stories yet? If so what is it like and is it any different fae the others?
Played it on the PSP - excellent.

Bobinovich
23-Jun-06, 21:48
A few blasts from the past there - Elite and Chuckie Egg were firm favourites back in my old Speccy days and Bombjack was my fave arcade game. Sadly, I don't get a lot of time to play games these days - the odd Sudoku is about my limit :~(

Tugmistress
23-Jun-06, 21:54
I played Elite too :D that's some while back now lol.
Carrying on the theme of the 'old fashioned' games, i still play
dungeon master
dungeon keeper I & II
and online games i tend to do the stuff on msn game zone like inspector parker or go off and beat a load of yanks (sorry, americans ;)) at cribbage lol.

robby50x
23-Jun-06, 22:23
If you like War Games Call Of Duty Is One Of The Best Games Out There,Very Realistic Gameplay

Cedric Farthsbottom III
23-Jun-06, 23:00
Recently bought Midway Arcade Classics for the PS2.Classic games such as Defender,Gauntlet,Marble Madness and Paperboy.Not the most amazing graphics in the world,but all very addictive.:D

pultneytooner
23-Jun-06, 23:06
Recently bought Midway Arcade Classics for the PS2.Classic games such as Defender,Gauntlet,Marble Madness and Paperboy.Not the most amazing graphics in the world,but all very addictive.:D
Not the best graphics but certainly the best gameplay, something a lot of modern games are missing.

pultneytooner
23-Jun-06, 23:07
A few blasts from the past there - Elite and Chuckie Egg were firm favourites back in my old Speccy days and Bombjack was my fave arcade game. Sadly, I don't get a lot of time to play games these days - the odd Sudoku is about my limit :~(
Chucky egg my fave game on the amstrad.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
23-Jun-06, 23:16
Chucky egg my fave game on the amstrad.

Pultneytooner was the Amstrad the one wi' the green screen.I was a Commodore 64 man masel' :lol: :lol:

pedromcgrory
23-Jun-06, 23:24
If you like War Games Call Of Duty Is One Of The Best Games Out There,Very Realistic Gameplay
black is better

pultneytooner
23-Jun-06, 23:27
Pultneytooner was the Amstrad the one wi' the green screen.I was a Commodore 64 man masel' :lol: Aye, it had a green screen till start with then you got a thigymajig that plugged in between the amstrad and the telly giving you glorious colour.:D

Cedric Farthsbottom III
23-Jun-06, 23:39
Aye, it had a green screen till start with then you got a thigymajig that plugged in between the amstrad and the telly giving you glorious colour.:D

Always have a giggle with the computer systems cos they talk aboot the competition today between the X-box and the ps2 but its always been there....here's a bit o' nostalgia.

Atari v Intellivision
Vic 20 v Spectrum
Commodore 64 v Spectrum ZX v Amstrad
Sega Master System v Nintendo
Sega Mega Drive v Super Nintendo
Sega Saturn v Nintendo 64

Then Sony came on the scene....oh boy!!!!!

Playstation blew them all away until.........

Playstation 2 v X-box v Game Cube

Now it is..............................

The PS3 v The 360 v Nintendo Wei

Doesn't matter about the system,always been the same.Its all down to the games.Addictiveness(gameplay)always wins over graphics in ma book.:lol:

pultneytooner
24-Jun-06, 01:05
Always have a giggle with the computer systems cos they talk aboot the competition today between the X-box and the ps2 but its always been there....here's a bit o' nostalgia.

Atari v Intellivision
Vic 20 v Spectrum

Doesn't matter about the system,always been the same.Its all down to the games.Addictiveness(gameplay)always wins over graphics in ma book.:lol: Ah the ps3, the xbox 360, such powerful machines capable of brilliant graphics but the gameplay leaves a lot to be desired, I'll stick to my amstrad, commodore, nintendo, atari emulators that I can play on my pc.

compo
24-Jun-06, 09:15
on the pc: deltaforce 1 2 and 3. 688i . blitzkrieg. xbox: splintercell 1 2. black rainbow6

Niall Fernie
24-Jun-06, 09:56
Currently playing Quake 4 and Colin McRae Rally 2005

Recently enjoyed:

Quake 3 (for years)
Colin McRae Rally 3 & 4
Call of Duty 1 & 2
Deus Ex 1 & 2
The entire Doom saga
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Painkiller
Serious Sam 1 & 2
Revolt
Virtual Pool 2 & 3
Need for Speed 3/5/6 & Most Wanted

Have played most of the doom/quake clones but quake 3/4 still comes out on top for me.

Also played Elite on the speccy in the old days, could list others from that time but we have a posting limit. Played a few games of Jetpak a while ago, forgot how tough a game that was.

Noticed that Atari ST vs Amiga was missed out from the above list, a great time for gaming where programmers seemed to go back to the gameplay is best ideology from the speccy days, was also a horrible time for coin-op conversions :shudder: except for super hang on :)

Rheghead
24-Jun-06, 09:59
Currently playing Quake 4 and Colin McRae Rally 2005

Recently enjoyed:

Quake 3 (for years)
Colin McRae Rally 3 & 4
Call of Duty 1 & 2
Deus Ex 1 & 2
The entire Doom saga
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Painkiller
Serious Sam 1 & 2
Revolt
Virtual Pool 2 & 3
Need for Speed 3/5/6 & Most Wanted

:)

Glad to see the org doesn't take up too much of yer time then? :cool:

robglysen
24-Jun-06, 13:10
FIFA 2006, FIFA World Cup, FEAR, Farenheit, Oblivion, Half Life 2 EP1, World of Warcraft(Wife went away for a week, so I got a 10 day trial!).

Still love the old baldurs gate games, oh and all of you go out and get a spectrum emulator and a Julian Gallop game called Chaos, thats how playable games are made, its about 20 years old a freaking awesome!

He he, monster PC with Athlon 64 2GB ram and an ATI X1800, and im playing spectrum games, durr!

widget
24-Jun-06, 18:01
Classic games: sensible soccer, syndicate, populous2, megalomania on the amiga is my all time favourite game. Maybe i'm just a sadist but the feeling you got when defeating your opponent was simply superb!

Current games: half life 2 episode 1, far cry, call of duty 2, act of war and still into GTA san andreas

Future games: like the look of crysis and have just played prey demo which has to be the strangest fps ever with its energized tracks that let you walk up walls and over ceilings.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/widget996/MegaLoMania.jpg

Corsastu
24-Jun-06, 19:46
I think the classic games are the best all the mario games are brill

grantyg
24-Jun-06, 23:59
On the pc - none at the mo, the pc is for work!
On the xbox - call of duty big red and amped 2 maybe get back into tony hawks and rallysport challenge 2
On the psp - worms lemmings and out run oh and mercury is strangely addictive!

Tiger Jones
25-Jun-06, 22:05
I'm terribly addicted to Windows Minesweeper just now. It drives me crazy but I can't help going back to it!

Rheghead
26-Jun-06, 02:35
I'm terribly addicted to Windows Minesweeper just now. It drives me crazy but I can't help going back to it!

What is your best time on expert? Mine is 160 secs.:lol:

Tiger Jones
26-Jun-06, 14:51
What is your best time on expert? Mine is 160 secs.:lol:Not sure of my all-time record because I qute often re-hash my system and don't keep note but currently 125 seconds on expert for me. My problem is, I try to do it too quickly trying to beat that time and make simple mistakes. I'll never learn and I'm sure I'll ... hang on I'll be back after another few games :lol:

bigjjuk
26-Jun-06, 16:46
xbox 360 battlefield II truely awesome graphics are out of this world and when you paly online the game play is brilliant. You can also have conversations via your microphone and headset with you team who are based all over the world. The blue tooth joystick is awesome too, no more does my son pass in front of the tv ripping the joystick out of its socket and sending the xbox across the room

Apollo
26-Jun-06, 17:20
My faviourite has got to be Guild Wars (original not factions) and freelancer, both are RPG's.:D

obiron
26-Jun-06, 19:37
not got computer games yet. like playing solitare on windows thou. my fave ever game is sonic the hedgehog.

katarina
26-Jun-06, 20:00
not got computer games yet. like playing solitare on windows thou. my fave ever game is sonic the hedgehog.

Wow, sonic the hedgehog! Way to go! Have you managed to kill Dr Botnick yet?

scorrie
26-Jun-06, 20:02

Atari v Intellivision
Vic 20 v Spectrum

Doesn't matter about the system,always been the same.Its all down to the games.Addictiveness(gameplay)always wins over graphics in ma book.:lol:

I note that Sega went 0-3 against Nintendo and are now writing games for them.

You are right, it is all about the games and 90% of them are cack on every format. Probably higher still on the Playstation. I think Nintendo provide the best value for money in longevity terms and have the Classic characters of Mario and the Zelda epics. A Wei bit better than the rest ;o)

obiron
26-Jun-06, 20:05
Wow, sonic the hedgehog! Way to go! Have you managed to kill Dr Botnick yet?

killed dr robotnik years ago. used to play it on the sega mega drive. came out the other year for the ps2 kept me amused again for weeks. one and two is ok can do them but struggle with the third. had to get my youngest to show me how do do the moves on sonic heroes the newer version. cant beat the old sega mega drive sonic thou.