PDA

View Full Version : Ocado deliveries to Caithness

Stefan
20-Jun-10, 19:17
I have just written to Ocado.com to see if they will consider delivering to Caithness as it's now apparent that we are not getting another supermarket chain in Caithness at all. Ocado is a large supermarket without shops, have a Tesco price match policy and some good green awards.

If you are genuinely interested in buying from them (they deliver to the door) then please go their web page and register with them. They will tell you that they don't deliver to your area but ask for your details so they can inform you when they do.

Maybe if enough people left their details they will start considering Caithness for the future...

ShelleyCowie
20-Jun-10, 19:40
I signed up :) Seems some good deals on there

maidenmania
20-Jun-10, 20:39
I have just written to Ocado.com to see if they will consider delivering to Caithness as it's now apparent that we are not getting another supermarket chain in Caithness at all. Ocado is a large supermarket without shops, have a Tesco price match policy and some good green awards.

If you are genuinely interested in buying from them (they deliver to the door) then please go their web page and register with them. They will tell you that they don't deliver to your area but ask for your details so they can inform you when they do.

Maybe if enough people left their details they will start considering Caithness for the future...

Ocado is a partner of Waitrose (John Lewis) and a large amount of their goods are same as you buy in Waitrose. The chances of delivering in caithness are very slim as they use a very modern automated warehouse system and require a huge population to justify the expense. The distance involved in moving the goods from current depots is too great. Dont think they deliver anywhere in Scotland yet and believe they only have 2 or 3 Waitrose shops in Scotland. Their main depot in Hatfield is amazing HUGE place with hardly any staff.

Would be a nice alternative but doubt in next 20 years anyway.

onecalledk
20-Jun-10, 22:40
have already registered with this website. Think that nearly ALL of caithness would need to register for them to consider delivering though ...

K

Beat Bug
20-Jun-10, 23:26
Waitrose in Hatfield used to be my local suprmarket many years ago when I worked in London Colney just down the road from them. Great value! Pity we have such a poor choice of supermarkets in Caithness

Hoida
21-Jun-10, 13:07
Have now registered getting a bit fed up with Tesco threatening to go to Morrisons at Alness this week for a change. You know what they say'a change is as good as a holiday' even if its only a change of supermarket![lol]

Beat Bug
22-Jun-10, 00:32
I shop at Morrisons in Alness any time I'm down that way. Did a HUGE shop today after a visit to the dentist!

scorrie
22-Jun-10, 16:56
have already registered with this website. Think that nearly ALL of caithness would need to register for them to consider delivering though ...

K

If all of Caithness DID register and started using Ocado for their weekly shop, wouldn't that mean that the local supermarkets could close their doors and loads of Caithness folk would be out of a job?

I think it is sometimes prudent to consider what we wish for, and the reality of what it brings.

Stefan
22-Jun-10, 20:43
You really think people would be stupid enough to only buy from Ocado?
The whole thing is called consumer choice. People will be buying where there is a good bargain to be had or where they can choose things they want to buy which aren't available in other shops.

If Tesco had to shut because there are never any customers in it then they are doing something seriously wrong.

scorrie
22-Jun-10, 23:13
You really think people would be stupid enough to only buy from Ocado?
The whole thing is called consumer choice. People will be buying where there is a good bargain to be had or where they can choose things they want to buy which aren't available in other shops.

If Tesco had to shut because there are never any customers in it then they are doing something seriously wrong.

With some people, nothing would surprise me where stupidity is concerned. We live in a fairly remote location and there are always going to be compromises where choice is concerned. Money spent buying from "virtual" stores is doing nothing to put money into the local economy. At least Tesco, for all its faults, is employing some local people, unlike Ocado. If you want Waitrose products badly enough, surely it makes more sense to live where there is access to one.

Nacho
22-Jun-10, 23:33
People will be buying where there is a good bargain to be had or where they can choose things they want to buy which aren't available in other shops.

people will also buy from supermarkets who support local suppliers and a have fair trade ethos, that's why i shop at the co-op.

so what if they only have 1 or 2 tills open?

i'll wait safe in the knowledge that there will always be a bit of my heart devoted to it...

onecalledk
23-Jun-10, 10:03
With some people, nothing would surprise me where stupidity is concerned. We live in a fairly remote location and there are always going to be compromises where choice is concerned. Money spent buying from "virtual" stores is doing nothing to put money into the local economy. At least Tesco, for all its faults, is employing some local people, unlike Ocado. If you want Waitrose products badly enough, surely it makes more sense to live where there is access to one.

You seem to think that shopping online is the decline of local shops when nothing is further from the truth. The local decline of shops in caithness is down to big supermarkets like Tesco arriving. I buy local produce where and when I can, I buy my eggs locally, I have started growing my own veg etc. The big multiples like tesco are KILLING local shops. You seem to be fooled by the fact that tesco employ local people. Look beyond that. They may well employ local people, great, but they are also making local people unemployed !

Look at haldanes in Wick for a prime example. A store that sells locally (where possible) sourced produce. Soon to close from the rumours circulating. Who is to blame for this ? look to the LARGE tesco you have on the outskirts of Wick.

Caithness is farming country, I would expect living here to be able to trace my meat back to the animals standing in the field .........

We in Caithness have access to MORE nutritious QUALITY food than other parts of the country and thats the problem when a large retailer like tesco pulls up. Remember nutritious does not always mean CHEAPER. We should be looking at the QUALITY of our food not the price.

Walk round tesco and note what is on offer , it may be cheaper but that is all. Tesco employ local people to the detriment of other local people. Online shopping is a different thing entirely .......

K

scorrie
23-Jun-10, 14:31
You seem to think that shopping online is the decline of local shops when nothing is further from the truth. The local decline of shops in caithness is down to big supermarkets like Tesco arriving. I buy local produce where and when I can, I buy my eggs locally, I have started growing my own veg etc. The big multiples like tesco are KILLING local shops. You seem to be fooled by the fact that tesco employ local people. Look beyond that. They may well employ local people, great, but they are also making local people unemployed !

Look at haldanes in Wick for a prime example. A store that sells locally (where possible) sourced produce. Soon to close from the rumours circulating. Who is to blame for this ? look to the LARGE tesco you have on the outskirts of Wick.

Caithness is farming country, I would expect living here to be able to trace my meat back to the animals standing in the field .........

We in Caithness have access to MORE nutritious QUALITY food than other parts of the country and thats the problem when a large retailer like tesco pulls up. Remember nutritious does not always mean CHEAPER. We should be looking at the QUALITY of our food not the price.

Walk round tesco and note what is on offer , it may be cheaper but that is all. Tesco employ local people to the detriment of other local people. Online shopping is a different thing entirely .......

K

I think you misunderstand my stance on Tesco. I despise Tesco and what they stand for. I was one of the few on this site who voiced major concerns about them coming to Wick. My point was that the only good thing about Tesco was that they have to employ local people. Even though, as I said at the time, much of the jobs created resulted in job losses elsewhere.

To make my point a little clearer, could I perhaps take Haldanes as an example. Here we have a store who seem to be surviving by a small margin at the moment. There have been calls for voluntary redundancies and rumours of closure. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that they manage to survive and co-exist with Tesco in Wick. If we then take Ocado into the equation and assume that people who are disgruntled with Tesco started to use Ocado as an alternative to Haldanes, then the wafer thin margin for survival that Haldanes had can be eroded to the point where they have to close. That results in job losses for Wick and money going out of the county, to a store that doesn't give a tuppenny about Wick or it's local suppliers.

Online shopping does impact on Local Shops as well, to a lesser extent then Tesco because a lot of online shopping will be one-off type purchases. What worries me about Ocado, or anything similar, is that we are talking about a potential weekly shop being made from a virtual store. If Tesco were to be any worse than it is, we need to imagine it being a place which employs no locals, but simply a place which delivers goods all over the county.

I know what you mean about Tesco and quality. I don't shop in Tesco, other than when going for someone else, or desperation scenarios where nobody else is open. I was in there about three weeks ago looking for chicken breasts and noticed that the only packets of chicken they had either came from Poland or Germany. I do most of my shopping in Lidl and when I checked there, I noticed that, not only was the chicken breast cheaper than Tesco, it also came from a bizarre country called SCOTLAND. Not bad for a German company.

I will leave it with a couple of other gems I gleaned from Tesco:-

"Special Offer - Buy two for £1.80"

The individual price on the items in question was, maybe you've guessed it, 90p.

"Tesco Scotch Beef - Please note, all our Scotch Beef comes from Scotland"

No poop Sherlock!!

ducati
23-Jun-10, 21:14
I think you misunderstand my stance on Tesco. I despise Tesco and what they stand for. I was one of the few on this site who voiced major concerns about them coming to Wick. My point was that the only good thing about Tesco was that they have to employ local people. Even though, as I said at the time, much of the jobs created resulted in job losses elsewhere.

To make my point a little clearer, could I perhaps take Haldanes as an example. Here we have a store who seem to be surviving by a small margin at the moment. There have been calls for voluntary redundancies and rumours of closure. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that they manage to survive and co-exist with Tesco in Wick. If we then take Ocado into the equation and assume that people who are disgruntled with Tesco started to use Ocado as an alternative to Haldanes, then the wafer thin margin for survival that Haldanes had can be eroded to the point where they have to close. That results in job losses for Wick and money going out of the county, to a store that doesn't give a tuppenny about Wick or it's local suppliers.

Online shopping does impact on Local Shops as well, to a lesser extent then Tesco because a lot of online shopping will be one-off type purchases. What worries me about Ocado, or anything similar, is that we are talking about a potential weekly shop being made from a virtual store. If Tesco were to be any worse than it is, we need to imagine it being a place which employs no locals, but simply a place which delivers goods all over the county.

I know what you mean about Tesco and quality. I don't shop in Tesco, other than when going for someone else, or desperation scenarios where nobody else is open. I was in there about three weeks ago looking for chicken breasts and noticed that the only packets of chicken they had either came from Poland or Germany. I do most of my shopping in Lidl and when I checked there, I noticed that, not only was the chicken breast cheaper than Tesco, it also came from a bizarre country called SCOTLAND. Not bad for a German company.

I will leave it with a couple of other gems I gleaned from Tesco:-

"Special Offer - Buy two for £1.80"

The individual price on the items in question was, maybe you've guessed it, 90p.

"Tesco Scotch Beef - Please note, all our Scotch Beef comes from Scotland"

No poop Sherlock!!

So you won't shop in a British supermarket employing lots of local people selling foreign and local produce. But you will shop in a foriegn supermarket employing a lot less local people and selling foreign and local produce.

Your logic escapes me.