PDA

View Full Version : How will the budget hit you?

Gordon Bonnet
20-Jun-10, 17:50
por moi?

Higher VAT.
No more free busses for over 60's - I'm on the cusp.
Free swimming gone already.

Increased long haul departure tax for holidays.
Work an extra year - at least.

Cold weather payments scrapped for 60 yr. olds as I get close to qualifyin'.

Dearer booze and fags - petrol...car tax for big, powerful cars. If they tax bird seed the little beggars can fend for 'emsells from now on.

Gordon Bonnet !!

(we're all in this together)

Tubthumper
20-Jun-10, 17:58
Might be out of a job...[disgust]

Liz
20-Jun-10, 18:10
Do you mean Winter Fuel Payment? Surely they're not scrapping this?!

Gordon Bonnet
20-Jun-10, 18:23
Do you mean Winter Fuel Payment? Surely they're not scrapping this?!

I think they will go for 60 - 65 year olds who are still working, certainly.
What I've never had, I won't miss but 'tis galling nonetheless.

Gordon Bonnet
20-Jun-10, 18:25
realise my post looks like I'm a smoker. Or a smirker if you're in Northumberland.
Well, I'm not - for three decades now - it's the ultimate mugs game.
Innit?

Liz
20-Jun-10, 18:27
I think they will go for 60 - 65 year olds who are still working, certainly.
What I've never had, I won't miss but 'tis galling nonetheless.

Oh for goodness sakes! You can bet David Cameron and his sidekick don't have to worry about heating costs.

We're all doomed.Doomed I tell ye!!!

glaikit
20-Jun-10, 18:35
Look on the bright side: we won't need cold weather payments cos we'll be homeless with no hoose to heat[lol] Oh, maybe it's no that funny actually

sjr014
20-Jun-10, 18:41
Think the child tax credits may change so i'll probably end up worse off :(

upolian
20-Jun-10, 18:54
I sure hope the budget wont affect me:)

Liz
20-Jun-10, 18:56
Look on the bright side: we won't need cold weather payments cos we'll be homeless with no hoose to heat[lol] Oh, maybe it's no that funny actually

We'll all have to huddle together for warmth! Won't be able to go anywhere either if they stop the bus passes:roll:

I am not 60 for a while yet but my sister is and was looking forward to help with the heating bill for the winter. Mind you, the way our 'summer' weather is going we could do with it now!:confused

ShelleyCowie
20-Jun-10, 19:00
Think the child tax credits may change so i'll probably end up worse off :(

Yes thats true. The report that was released said that a couple with a combined income of over £25,500 will no longer recieve tax credits. But that was an early release, it might change yet. Not sure how they can reduce it by so much....but thats the gubberment for you!

Im not sure how the budget will affect me really. Im no old enough for any bus pass or anything. Will have to wait and see what the future brings and what hell they put us through!

The tax increase will obviously affect everyone. Thats a bummer! :confused

Invisible
20-Jun-10, 19:04
Last one out of the country please turn of the lights

Liz
20-Jun-10, 19:07
Invisible there will be no lights on as we couldn't afford to pay the electricity bill!

Tubthumper
20-Jun-10, 19:21
Where would we go? Europe's as broke as we are, and even the septic tanks don't want us now!

Invisible
20-Jun-10, 19:50
Where would we go? Europe's as broke as we are, and even the septic tanks don't want us now!

Ireland.....

Sara Jevo
20-Jun-10, 20:09
Everyone agrees there is a need to restore balance to the books, but my worry is the Tories will seize the moment to redesign Britain along their "public bad, private good" ideology.

I imagine more than a few are taking the red pen to the books with relish, rather than resignation, which I imagine is how the Lib Dems feel.

ducati
20-Jun-10, 21:18
Suck it up!

If the other lot were still in you'd be having similar cuts for the next 20 years. Why don't we start complaining on Tuesday when we actually know what to complain about?

Personally I don't know how the budget will effect me, I'm not a big user of public services, I don't have kids, I'm not a big drinker, I don't use much vehicle fuel.

What I need are measures to get British industry and business off its backside. What Caithness needs is inward investment on a grand scale. And by that I mean serious incentives for new start-ups and established business to move to the area.

Gronnuck
20-Jun-10, 21:31
por moi?

Higher VAT.
Not entirely unexpected.

No more free busses for over 60's - I'm on the cusp.
I'm already using my free bus pass and will plead poverty, illness, discrimination and a breach of my 'uman rites if they try to take it away!

Free swimming gone already.
150 yards from the sea. I can go swimmin any time - brrrrr!

Increased long haul departure tax for holidays.
. . . . . and why not, aeroplanes polute too!

Work an extra year - at least.
Could work but I've retired anyway.

Cold weather payments scrapped for 60 yr. olds as I get close to qualifyin'.
Wait and see - (drat, buggha, buggha)

Dearer booze and fags - petrol...car tax for big, powerful cars.
I'm not bothered about booze and fags. Car tax could be an issue.

If they tax bird seed the little beggars can fend for 'emsells from now on.
I'll second that!

(we're all in this together)
Some of us will be more in it than others!

We're doomed a' tell ye, we're DOOOMMED!

cazmanian_minx
21-Jun-10, 08:01
I sure hope the budget wont affect me:)

If they put VAT up or extend it to previously VAT-free items such as food, then it's going to hit everyone.

wickscorrie
21-Jun-10, 09:12
child tax credits, thats one which i think i'll be greeting about,
it makes the difference between being able to afford something big to us or not and would mean really tightening our belts to continue.

pat
21-Jun-10, 10:16
One loophole they should look at perhaps to save some money

I recently had a chap who was a UK resident but emigrated to another country 40 years ago, he gets a small pension which he gets paid into a bank account in UK.
Although he lives in a much warmer climate he has received the heating allowance every year into his bank account - as far as I am concerned this allowance should be for UK residents only - how much is being paid to folk who emigrated a long time ago, fair enough they get their pension but does that entitle them to a UK over 60s heating allowance.
I feel this allowance should be for UK residents only, that would save a few pounds too.

horseman
21-Jun-10, 17:46
course it does' sweety,you don't suppose the guy has not paid zillions in to the state already! An now he is in a position to get some back1!! Wow.

bagpuss
21-Jun-10, 20:58
Don't be suprised if VAT at 25% goes onto food and children's clothing- and the same level for petrol/diesel. capital Gains might well go on at about 50%- but think about the people who bought to let to fund their pension when the interest rates fell- who'll never be able to get back what they put in. and remember that mr osborne has never done a job interview in his life.....or had to live on a normal income

Tubthumper
21-Jun-10, 23:22
Don't be suprised if VAT at 25% goes onto food and children's clothing- and the same level for petrol/diesel. capital Gains might well go on at about 50%- but think about the people who bought to let to fund their pension when the interest rates fell- who'll never be able to get back what they put in. and remember that mr osborne has never done a job interview in his life.....or had to live on a normal income
It becomes aparent that life is indeed a gamble. However, lets consider the politicians: robbers, thieves and deviants they may be, but they're the ones who have stepped up to take on the leadership.
I'm beginning to think (a) I should take up politics and become a robber, thief and/ or deviant or (b) actually respect those who give up a normal life to pursue a career in politics with all attendant hassles. After all, they can't even fiddle their expenses any more, never mind get up to a bit of deviance!