PDA

View Full Version : No clock changes

Loch not Lock
20-Jun-10, 11:56
Great, great news - no more need to change clock times! Tommorow Parliament will introduce a plan to be in line with the rest of Europe. Lighter winter evenings.:D

Cattach
20-Jun-10, 11:59
Great, great news - no more need to change clock times! Tommorow Parliament will introduce a plan to be in line with the rest of Europe. Lighter winter evenings.:D

Darker winter mornings with greater dangers for people going to work and more importantly much greater danger for children on their way to school. Greater danger in the morning for all sorts of reason - less alert, having to rush, darker in mrning than mid afternoon, etc.
Just wait, you will regret supportimng no clock change.

mrjolly
20-Jun-10, 12:02
Darker winter mornings with greater dangers for people going to work and more importantly much greater danger for children on their way to school. Greater danger in the morning for all sorts of reason - less alert, having to rush, darker in mrning than mid afternoon, etc.
yes i agree i think this is a step back to the dark ages.

LMS
20-Jun-10, 12:02
In my paper it said that the proposal was to keep BST for the winter and then BST +1 for the summer, so we would still be changing.

Why on earth would we want it to be dark until at least 9.30/9.45am in the morning? The way it is just now, GMT provides a happy medium up here in Caithness. It is dusky when the children are off to school at 8.45am and dusky when they are returning at 3.30pm. Altering GMT/BST will not give the same balance and will give dark mornings albeit lighter late afternoons.

donnick
20-Jun-10, 12:43
it has been part of ur life and i for 1 dont want change its put in place for a reason school kids so lets please keep

Loch not Lock
20-Jun-10, 13:01
I beg to differ, Cattach, there would be less danger to schoolchildren for two reasons :-
a) Street lighting is more effective in full darkness than it is in dusk.
b) Schoolchildren tend to be better behaved in the morning whereas they are far more hyper and mischievous when leaving school and this can lead to tragic accidents.

Sara Jevo
20-Jun-10, 13:31
If Scotland wanted to stay with the current clock, would it cause a huge problem if England moved an hour ahead? I'm sure we'd adjust.

Shabbychic
20-Jun-10, 14:08
I beg to differ, Cattach, there would be less danger to schoolchildren for two reasons :-
b) Schoolchildren tend to be better behaved in the morning whereas they are far more hyper and mischievous when leaving school and this can lead to tragic accidents.

What about all the places up here that don't have any street lighting?

im behind you
20-Jun-10, 15:23
What about all the places up here that don't have any street lighting?
if you dont have street lighting then you must live a good few miles outside of the towns and villages. therefore you would need to use some kind of transport to get back and fore. so you dont have to worry about street lighting. and if you do live in the town and dont have street lighting then get it reported to the council.

gollach
20-Jun-10, 15:53
The council is proposing to remove a significant proportion of our streetlighting to save money

More on this here

http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/news/newsreleases/2010/May/2010-05-26-02.htm

Mystical Potato Head
20-Jun-10, 15:53

Well thats the exact opposite of why this idea got thrown out before.

They tried this in the 60's(remember going to school kitted out with reflective armbands) and one of the reasons it didnt become a permanent change was that kids and people in general are MORE careless and tired in the mornings.Street lighting didnt come into it at all
Lighter winter evenings are nothing to smile about when its still dark at 10 in the morning and youd still be sitting down to your tea in the dark mid winter either way anyway.
Imagine living in Shetland,it would be nearer 11 bfore you got proper daylight.Farmers were dead against then too

The reason we have clocks as we do is for the safety of children in Scotland,particularly northern Scotland

The proposed changes mean Britain is in line with the same time as Europe so we all have the same trading hours, i think.

Shabbychic
20-Jun-10, 16:40
if you dont have street lighting then you must live a good few miles outside of the towns and villages. therefore you would need to use some kind of transport to get back and fore. so you dont have to worry about street lighting. and if you do live in the town and dont have street lighting then get it reported to the council.

So what about those that live outside of town and use public transport? Many have to walk a bit to reach pick up points on the main roads. I suppose they could all be supplied with miner's helmets.:eek:

cazmanian_minx
20-Jun-10, 16:50
Seriously? That would mean it would no longer be Greenwich Mean Time in Greenwich, surely they can't let that happen!

aurora32
20-Jun-10, 16:51
So what about those that live outside of town and use public transport? Many have to walk a bit to reach pick up points on the main roads. I suppose they could all be supplied with miner's helmets.:eek:

Its not funny, and i agree with what you are saying but your post so made me laugh Shabbychic....[lol]

horseman
20-Jun-10, 17:15
I can see no reasonable reason at all to mess around with natures tryed an trusted rules- Man interfering again as usual. Think they know better. An usually pontificated at by a load of unelected-council tossers, I could curse ,but had better not. Good idea that. Anyone else got any thoughts on the messing about with time theme? Why should we be dictated to !Cos we let them of course.:(

Sara Jevo
20-Jun-10, 17:17
If the clocks did change by an hour, surely a simple solution would be to change the start times of school etc by an hour as well. No?

LMS
20-Jun-10, 17:35

I am within walking distance of my village but have no street lighting. The children walk to school but couldn't possibly do so in the winter if this ridiculous proposal goes ahead.

concerned resident
20-Jun-10, 17:46
Afraid this is just the start, this government which Scotland did not vote in, is now doing what the south has wanted for years, as it suits them better. One day the people of Scotland will realize that Westminster does not give a stuff about Scotland.

aurora32
20-Jun-10, 18:00
Maybe im wrong but I thought it was only up for consideration at this point in time? But it wasnt something to be decided for or againt any time soon? :confused

Errogie
20-Jun-10, 22:47
As a crofter with another 9 to 5 job I would prefer to stay on summertime for then you have an opportunity to see livestock in daylight at least once during the day during the darkest part of winter.

On the question of street lighting at least half of it should be done away with and people should carry torches like they do in the country areas and what is the point in keeping street lights burning after midnight for the few who may be out. It woulldn't take much to alter the clock switch mechanisms and perhaps we could use the savings to maintain some of the more useful services currently under threat plus opportunities for more star watching and romance!

Whitewater
20-Jun-10, 23:18
If it did change I would not be too concerned because the street lighting is very good. How do they manage in all the towns and villages around the world which are much further North than we are, and are subject to almost constant darkness in the winter? I think the dangers are being a bit over-rated. I worked shifts for many years, the most dangerous time (officially) was always given as 5am. But that was for shift workers, not people or children who had just risen, refreshed after a good nights sleep, had breakfast, washed and dressed and then off to school or work.

Loch not Lock
21-Jun-10, 08:23
Well thats the exact opposite of why this idea got thrown out before.

They tried this in the 60's(remember going to school kitted out with reflective armbands) and one of the reasons it didnt become a permanent change was that kids and people in general are MORE careless and tired in the mornings.Street lighting didnt come into it at all
Lighter winter evenings are nothing to smile about when its still dark at 10 in the morning and youd still be sitting down to your tea in the dark mid winter either way anyway.
Imagine living in Shetland,it would be nearer 11 bfore you got proper daylight.Farmers were dead against then too

The reason we have clocks as we do is for the safety of children in Scotland,particularly northern Scotland

The proposed changes mean Britain is in line with the same time as Europe so we all have the same trading hours, i think.
You cannot compare the 60's trial to today as so much has changed in the last 50 years. In the sixties drink driving was commonplace and vehicles had substandard lighting. Now in 2010 driving is much improved with cars having better breaking systems and many other safety factors such as air bags. Even seat belts were not worn in the 60's.
Not changing the clocks would save lives and that view is also held by both the RAC and AA.

kmahon2001
21-Jun-10, 11:15
Why does everyone keep saying that the wintertime is there to protect the school children? Wintertime is the actual time by the sun (GMT), the time that we always used throughout history, until some "genius" in the early 20th century decided he wanted more time in the morning throughout the summer months to ride his horses! (http://www.nmm.ac.uk/explore/astronomy-and-time/time-facts/spring-forward-100-years-of-british-summer-time). Summertime is the one that we change to each year, wintertime is simply restoring GMT.

Why don't we just go back to GMT all year round - no more changing of clocks, no more increase in road accidents when the evenings suddenly get dark because the clocks have changed. If we stick to GMT, the daylight hours will still be the same in the winter, and the sun rises so early and sets so late in the summer that it would hardly make any difference to most people if we went back to GMT in the summer. All this changing the clocks is totally ridiculous and has nothing to do with history or tradition - we've only been changing the clocks since 1916, not even 100 years yet.

As for adopting European time, that has nothing to do with keeping our children safe, streetlighting efficiency or any other excuse built around giving us lighter evenings in the winter - it's all for the banks so that they will have the same opening hours as Europe, making trading easier. :roll: And if we adopt European time we would still be changing the clocks twice a year - therefore, IMHO, it would be a complete a waste of time, if you'll pardon the pun. ;)

Loch not Lock
21-Jun-10, 19:01
Why does everyone keep saying that the wintertime is there to protect the school children? Wintertime is the actual time by the sun (GMT), the time that we always used throughout history, until some "genius" in the early 20th century decided he wanted more time in the morning throughout the summer months to ride his horses! (http://www.nmm.ac.uk/explore/astronomy-and-time/time-facts/spring-forward-100-years-of-british-summer-time). Summertime is the one that we change to each year, wintertime is simply restoring GMT.

Why don't we just go back to GMT all year round - no more changing of clocks, no more increase in road accidents when the evenings suddenly get dark because the clocks have changed. If we stick to GMT, the daylight hours will still be the same in the winter, and the sun rises so early and sets so late in the summer that it would hardly make any difference to most people if we went back to GMT in the summer. All this changing the clocks is totally ridiculous and has nothing to do with history or tradition - we've only been changing the clocks since 1916, not even 100 years yet.

As for adopting European time, that has nothing to do with keeping our children safe, streetlighting efficiency or any other excuse built around giving us lighter evenings in the winter - it's all for the banks so that they will have the same opening hours as Europe, making trading easier. :roll: And if we adopt European time we would still be changing the clocks twice a year - therefore, IMHO, it would be a complete a waste of time, if you'll pardon the pun. ;)
I agree.:)

Ricco
25-Jun-10, 20:36

Not that ol' chestnut. Most children travel to (and from) school in the dark anyway. Its an old myth that changing the clocks will have a detrimental effect. I look forward to it myself.:D