PDA

View Full Version : My first summer

Rictina
19-Jun-10, 21:13
This is my first Summer in Caithness, I moved here a few months back & cannae believe how much colder it is here compared to Inverness.

How am I going to get through the winter ? [lol]

Is it always like this in the summer months ?

Kathy@watten
19-Jun-10, 21:43
This is just a blip....usually a bit more Summery by now, chances are we will get a great late Summer and Autumn before the Winter sets in and we all hibernate till May!

octane
19-Jun-10, 21:48
This is my first Summer in Caithness, I moved here a few months back & cannae believe how much colder it is here compared to Inverness.

Hi Rictina, Im so sorry and feel under-knowledged up here and Im sure many more will agree. But could you explain Summer to us, its not a phrase we are familiar up here with.

All I can say but not sure if its related, is that we are experiancing a heatwave at the moment but again Im not sure if this lingo is common knowlege from fellow Invernesians :roll:

Kodiak
19-Jun-10, 21:48
It's not cold at all, this is just grand weather. Hardly any rain and soft winds and quite a bit of sun as well. What more could you ask for.

Dadie
19-Jun-10, 21:52
This is summer!:lol:
The wind (icy cold) keeps the midges away.
If its nice and sunny with no breeze you get eaten alive... if the beasties can get through the 6 layers of clothes you are wearing:lol:

aburns2409
19-Jun-10, 21:54
Have you not noticed how busy the tan cabin in thurso is??? No one cud possibly get a tan here.... I stay down in Alness as well as Thurso and you couldnt possibly believe the temperature difference - i will phone my husband and he has the fan on and kids sun creamed up dog dying with the head - i'l look out the window and say mmhh there are clouds in the sky but there is good drought in it - the washing will dry?? :)... Caithness has other perks!!!!!
MMhh ... MMMHHHH.... Beautiful snow in the winter :confused....xx

John Little
19-Jun-10, 21:54
I would not worry. I have a stove going in my living room right now - coals glowing and this is about as far south as you can go!

sweetpea
19-Jun-10, 22:03
Hi Rictina they do say we get all four seasons in a day! We have had some scorching days though in among the cold ones. Just got to make the best of it I'm afraid. I've found that it's been dreadful through the day and nice in the evenings getting home from work this past couple of weeks.

ducati
19-Jun-10, 22:32
I have to say that I am sporting a tan of Mediterranean appearance. Received gardening in my own garden here in Caithness.

We have had some very hot days, in fact I remember a thread about not being able to stand the heat. You will find over the summer when the rest of the UK is raining we often poke out above the weather and are lucky with the sun.
:lol:

Stefan
19-Jun-10, 22:39
Actually it's not even summer just yet. Officially we are still in spring ;-)

Rictina
19-Jun-10, 22:42
I will be patitent & await for the summer to arrive here in Caithness. Mean while I willl wrap up warm & enjoy the peace & tranquility. [lol]

Rictina
19-Jun-10, 22:43
Hi Rictina they do say we get all four seasons in a day! We have had some scorching days though in among the cold ones. Just got to make the best of it I'm afraid. I've found that it's been dreadful through the day and nice in the evenings getting home from work this past couple of weeks.

Yes I have to admit the evenings have been far better in the recent weeks.

ShelleyCowie
19-Jun-10, 23:07
To be honest, i really dont like summer! Cant handle the heat at all. Makes me grumpy (thats my excuse and im stickin too it)

So im enjoying that its not too hot so far.

Cant wait til winter is back upon us so i can get the soup pan out :)

In the summer you can be too hot, try anything too cool yourself down and you just get hot again. So its useless! At least in the winter if u are cold you can get a thick jumper on and curl up on the couch with a blanket and get the fire on :)

So..........come back winter!! :lol:

sweetpea
20-Jun-10, 00:04
You might as well get e soup pan oot anyways :)

psyberyeti
20-Jun-10, 15:47
It's never the wrong weather, just the wrong clothes. I have a heap of jackets by the door to cover every eventuality. Yesterday I wore all of my winter clothes to go up to the glass recycling bin up the hill from us.[lol]
I prefer the cold - I can put more clothes on - underpants alone are deemed not acceptable at work just because it's hot (although an "underpant protest" might make them turn the building heating off). :cool:

Cattach
20-Jun-10, 15:57

Pretty dry recently. Garden needs watering. Get out of the wind and it can be pleasant. Otherwise go back to Inverness and 'enjoy' the winter - much worse than Caithness, always more snow and last year while we sat with little snow Inverness had dreadful weather.

horseman
20-Jun-10, 16:56
Never mind the calender-go with nature-haul your self an family off to Reiss beach!-Thats what I did with my family way back when-In august wife was wearing a coat ,but still loving the atmosphere,-don't worry about the temp-just go for it. It's a great place to be.:)